2020 Sidney Reports

Status
Not open for further replies.
I installed the new Raymarine C120 this morning. I purchased it from Kaelc yesterday. A great guy to deal with. Had it it set up and took it out for a test drive off Sidney and works perfect,. Thank you Kaelc.
Left Tulista just after noon, ran down Sidney channel had five on, three to the boat one was just over eight lbs ,the others just under size and lost another keeper beside the boat. Home before three so the wife didn't know I went fishing to clean up and polish the boat. Got to love winter fishing, beauty day, lots of action and no crowds.
I’m new to winter fishing Sidney, any tips?

I’m new to winter fishing Sidney, any tips?
Welcome!

Winter fishing is Sidney is pretty good overall, but our 62cm minimum size is an absolute pain - I don't get into keeper size fish, consistently, until February. Before then, it's good action, but small sizes.

My advice is to stick in the 100-130ft contours where it's all mud and drag the bottom with needlefish size spoons or hootchies. Glow and UV are your friends here where I prefer glow in cloudy days and UV in sunny. Troll quicker than summer chinook fishing, but slower than coho and you'll be golden - make sure to keep your balls on the bottom. If you stay at the above depths, there isn't much rock/weed/trap around to take your lead away.

Spots:
- Coal Island, between the North-East Point and the Islets to the south. beware the reefs! Usually holds lots of bait and is a very consistent producer.
- Sidney Channel, from north of Sidney Spit (beware the lumps, for they hold derelict traps!) all the way down the length of the island to James Island and Powder Wharf.
- Miner's Channel (East side of Sidney Island). Start north of Sidney Spit and troll the whole length of the island. Really useful when the tide is burning as you can fish one way on one tide, then the other way.
- Fairfax Point, Personally, my least consistent producer in the winter and with the longer run time (12 minutes from the ramp), I don't go there that often. But very nice on a strong ebb as the island provides cover. Work up to the point, then turn around and repeat.

Agreed with @RogersonCrusoe except for Fairfax. It is my favourite place to winter fish. Usually hidden from the wind and a consistent bottom makes it easy to fish, especially if you are out solo. Out from about 10 -1 today at Fairfax. Only me and one other boat out today. A bit of wind in the morning but turned into a pretty nice day. Picked up this 11 pound hatchery Spring. Fishing the bottom at around 140'. Black/white cop car AP spoon with a black/glow flasher. Came up wanting on both prawns off of Moresby and crabs in the @Stizzla crabbing honey hole.

Attachments

• IMG_3331.jpg
    IMG_3331.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 151
  • IMG_3333.jpg
    IMG_3333.jpg
    76.6 KB · Views: 148
Agreed with @RogersonCrusoe except for Fairfax. It is my favourite place to winter fish. Usually hidden from the wind and a consistent bottom makes it easy to fish, especially if you are out solo. Out from about 10 -1 today at Fairfax. Only me and one other boat out today. A bit of wind in the morning but turned into a pretty nice day. Picked up this 11 pound hatchery Spring. Fishing the bottom at around 140'. Black/white cop car AP spoon with a black/glow flasher. Came up wanting on both prawns off of Moresby and crabs in the @Stizzla crabbing honey hole.
Do you stick mainly to one side of the island? I haven't put in a lot of time there in the winter, so don't know the area super well.

Welcome!

Winter fishing is Sidney is pretty good overall, but our 62cm minimum size is an absolute pain - I don't get into keeper size fish, consistently, until February. Before then, it's good action, but small sizes.

My advice is to stick in the 100-130ft contours where it's all mud and drag the bottom with needlefish size spoons or hootchies. Glow and UV are your friends here where I prefer glow in cloudy days and UV in sunny. Troll quicker than summer chinook fishing, but slower than coho and you'll be golden - make sure to keep your balls on the bottom. If you stay at the above depths, there isn't much rock/weed/trap around to take your lead away.

Spots:
- Coal Island, between the North-East Point and the Islets to the south. beware the reefs! Usually holds lots of bait and is a very consistent producer.
- Sidney Channel, from north of Sidney Spit (beware the lumps, for they hold derelict traps!) all the way down the length of the island to James Island and Powder Wharf.
- Miner's Channel (East side of Sidney Island). Start north of Sidney Spit and troll the whole length of the island. Really useful when the tide is burning as you can fish one way on one tide, then the other way.
- Fairfax Point, Personally, my least consistent producer in the winter and with the longer run time (12 minutes from the ramp), I don't go there that often. But very nice on a strong ebb as the island provides cover. Work up to the point, then turn around and repeat.
Thanks very much for the tips! I am hoping to get out in the next week or so if there is a decent day out there.

Thanks very much for the tips! I am hoping to get out in the next week or so if there is a decent day out there.
You're welcome!
Having done some napkin math, I think Sidney is fishable 300 days a year. We're pretty spoiled for wind up here - though the South winds are hard to hide from. There's always a decent day :)

Weather forecast seemed good so I headed out and fished Moresby on Sunday morning. Big Wave Dave was a little optimistic on his forecast and it was a lot blowier (around 15 knots with gusts to probably 25) than I expected. Fishing solo which made it difficult to get both lines out. Wind moderated around 11. No bites and I packed it in around 12:30. I was running glow flashers and spoons as there wasn't much sunlight and fishing mostly 140 -180'. Not as much bait showing as a few weeks ago. Managed 3 keeper crabs so not a total loss.

Took a run into the Inlet today. Weather was great and Prawning awesome. Got a couple of salmon but both too small. Nice way to end the Prawn season.

Usually put out 4 traps and then troll about four hours pull them and go home, Most times get limits or what I need. If not guess I have to go again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back