2020 SFI CONFERENCE SERIES - Charting a Predictable Path for Salmon and BC’s Public Fishery

It is spring run Chinook; ie Chinook that exhibit a particular lifecycle (stay in the rivers longer, migrate far out to sea & return to spawn in the spring months) versus the common term "springs" used to describe Chinook Salmon. I was speaking go the commercial troll fishery; vast majority of rec fishers go to lodges during late spring/summer; never been but hear they are encouraged to release marked fish & retain unmarked fish because they do not want to exceed their quota of what they call "treaty fish" ie a marked Chinook. They have different quota's for AK hatchery fish which are thermally marked by heat treating the Otolith bone, and fish missing an adipose fin. It would be impossible to differentiate a thermally marked fish from a wild/unmarked fish in the field, but I believe the fish heads are sent-in for analysis on a weekly(as I recall) basis.

To the best of my knowledge the dividing of fish amongst Canada & US includes hatchery fish and I am thinking that the first treaty in 1985 was the earliest this concept appeared; well into the era of hatchery fish. I would think that someone knows the answers to your questions; but the answers are not apparent (to me at least) in the high level treaty language.
In the computer industry there is a phrase "security by obscurity" and everything I can find on the subject of actual practices of subjects defined in the treaty are VERY obscure. My impression is that those involved are attempting to hide dirty politics at it's worst.

TOMORROW!

November 20 – Recovery of Fish and Fisheries in an Era of Rebuilding

2020 SFI Annual Policy Conference – Online Webinar Series​

Next session on November 20 – Recovery of Fish and Fisheries in an Era of Rebuilding

For the first time, the SFI is hosting a series of virtual discussions intended to seek pathways for recovery of salmon stocks and predictable opportunity and reliable access for BC’s public fishery. Attendance is free but you must register for each session in advance, links to session registration are below. Session will be approximately 90 – 120 minutes long, with an audience question and answer period following each presentation or speaker, and will cover topics within this year’s theme, Charting a Predictable Path for Salmon and BC’s Public Fishery.

Ask Questions

Questions can be asked following each speaker using a free, simple tool called sli.do or slido.com. Once each session begins access another web page or use your phone to go to slido.com and enter the session code in the participant area. On November 13th the code is: #RECOVERYPLANS. As the chat function in the Zoom webinar will be disabled, please ask and vote on questions posed through sli.do.

While a new approach and virtual in 2020, this event has become a key forum where elected officials, public servants and those in the sport fishing industry can meet and share their perspectives on trends, innovations and issues facing BC’s public fishery.

Attendance is free but you must register in advance for each session.

SFI Site: https://sportfishing.bc.ca/news/2020-sfi-annual-policy-conference/

Registration: https://us02web.zoom.us/webinar/register/WN_2HOW5iL6QIa-_G_R9Kcorw

Another interesting conference.

The initial presentation by PSF was as expected, and does show the level of interest outside of government at attempting a rebuilding of our precious salmon stocks. Kudos for those efforts!

DFO's Niel Davis was all Party Line.
A sustained and focused reference to continued Management By Restriction.
Nothing beyond lip service to what he termed "a positive working relationship" with the Recreational Sector.
Noting the damn near singular channel of "consultations" with the Rec Sec was effective and working well. (Wonder what dream world he is living in?)
Numerous references to "Reconciliation" and basically allowing that is taking precedence over most other concerns.

When I braced him regarding the IFMP from PBPS, he openly and repeatedly lied.

First, he suggested the Department had countered with a series of questions and concerns regarding the proposal, and were awaiting further input. Bull. That occurred almost 2 years ago now, and were directly and succinctly answered by Dr. Carl Walters.

Second: Despite numerous studies and conclusions to the opposite, he openly denied the sea lion and seal populations have become "over populated". Instead he suggested they are simply "approaching historic levels" Mike Drop. Every marine mammal scientist in the world openly gasped at that gaff.

Third: He openly denied that these increased populations have any significant impacts on salmon populations, and that a numbers reduction would not result in any perceivable gains in salmon recoveries. This is in direct contrast to the best scientific minds and research available. Oddly enough, another whose only title is "mister" openly challenges many whose title are Doctor, Biologist, Senior Researcher and more.

Mr. Davis comes across as a fellow desperately afraid of losing his employment, and sticking to the erroneous party line tooth and nail as directed from Ottawa.

Wilf Ludke was competent, focused, and explained well the role of stock assessment and more in the overall picture.

Diana Dobson was quite eloquent, and somewhat critical of her own department's actions.
I found her note that an "Internal Change", and a "Cultural Change" within the department were both required and long overdue if we are to see our way forward out of the current quagmire as right to the point.
Kudos Gal!
Nailed it.

I am looking forward to the next when Terry Beech will be in the spotlight.
Should be at least as informing & entertaining as today was...

Cheers,
Nog

Last edited:
The only question that needs to be asked of him is as he states over 50 fraser river salmon populations are a conservation concerns then why was there first nation gillnets actively fishing nearly every day in the fraser river while these salmon are returning?

Final Session TOMORROW Folks!!

The final session of the 2020 SFI Conference Webinar series will provide an overview of the previous sessions and a collaborative vision to support charting a path for salmon and access to BC's Public Fishery.

Speakers:

Rob Alcock - President SFI

Terry Beech - Parliamentary Secretary to the Minister of Fisheries & Oceans

Andrew Thompson - DFO Regional Director Fisheries management

David Didluck - DFO Regional Director Reconciliation and Partnerships

Dan Baxter - Interim CEO BC Chamber of Commerce

Walt Judas- CEO Tourism Industry Association of BC

Website: https://sportfishing.bc.ca/news/2020-sfi-annual-policy-conference/

Registration: https://us02web.zoom.us/webinar/register/WN_5QiC3Je4S-i3yps28uyIOg

Given the "who's" involved, this is going to be a very interesting show!

See You There!
Nog

How’d that go

Beech, although noting he recognized the issues, was pretty much full of platitudes. It very much felt like he was reading from a script designed by their team to be all Motherhood and Apple Pie.

He presented himself rather well though, citing his involvement at many levels, his background, and the fact that he damn near landed a Tyee in Campbell River last year. Desperate and vain attempt at being One Of The Boys IMHO.

Paid basic lip service to stock rebuilding, while managing not to commit to anything whatsoever. Typical government gobbledygook speak.

In fact, beyond his acknowledging problems exist, I felt his presentation was largely a waste of time.

Did not participate in the Question period, and wandered off.

Andrew Thompson

First comment: Anyone who understands anything about body language / facial expressions immediately understood this man was being confrontational from the very outset. Bordering on angry at times.

Started off with the usual government issue platitudes, reading from the same script as Beech IMO.

He did note the relationship between the Department and the SFAB / SFI as a "highbar" noting "deep consideration of advice" from these entities where opportunity issues were concerned. Reading from a rather different script than anyone else involved from what I can determine.

When addressing the Salmon Allocation Policy under development, he bent over backwards to repeatedly cite the role of FN's in that process, and that the Department is quite focused on Reconciliation. In terms of non-FN organizations, he noted they are "trying to work with the SFAB", while "recognizing the need for change" in that relationship. He did manage to mutter something about new staff being brought online in order to further the latter...

Short lip service paid to actual stock rebuilding, with the saw-off that nothing "concrete" is apparently on the table just now in that regard.

He went on to defend yet another MSF study, but suggested that would be "mostly internal".

In the question period when braced on the closures of note wherein the impact rate on Fraser stocks of concern were recognized as 0.05% he countered with "we can spare very little". Then noted in follow up that FSC takes priority over all others...

Addressing my question regarding actual stock rebuilding programs and projects, he stated "we are not where I want to be", but we "are starting" after noting the reason they are starting is that they are being forced to via the SARA implications. Sawed off with "There is more work to be done".

In short, pretty much a confirmation of what we already understood, and therefore not a hell of a lot more than another waste of time.

David Didluck

As expected from one heading up the Department's new Reconciliation wing, he focused largely on UNDRIP, noted that new Federal Legislation will be coming shortly in that regard from the minority Trudeau government, and that the Department WILL "firmly align with that".

Citing "conservation" as the "highest priority" he went on to speak volumes regarding "building relationships" with an obvious focus & bias on FN's first and foremost.

He did note his wing's involvement with the Salmon Allocation Policy, stating "we are working on it". Did not define just who that "we" is...

In sawing off, he stated that the entire issue of Reconciliation is "hellishly complicated".

In the Question period he replied to the query just "who" represents us (rec anglers) at the table when the negotiations are between the Feds & FN's. He noted there would always be "conflicting interests", that the government was there to "represent all views" (yeah... Right) and sawed off with "We have to do a better job". No $hit Sherlock.

Addressing my concern that the term "Reconciliation" has been and is replacing that of Conservation, he immediately noted that the FN's were in full outcry over not getting "sufficient FSC fish for their needs". While he stammered to indicate just how conservation concerns are being met, he did note that this is an issue "not easily discussed with FN's" and there exists "no clear answer".

Didluck appeared to me to be a fellow obsessed with the sound of his own voice. He spoke great volumes, while managing to say but very little. Must be a government trait worthy of recognition and promotion to section heads or better it seems.

He culminated with the advice "You have to come and talk to us" and "there is always ways to find improvement". Right...

Dan Baxter did pretty much a bang up job of describing the social and economic importance of the BC public fishery. He was well organized, to the point, with no baffle-gab involved.

He noted that the "Protection of fishery and social values of the public fishery" had recently been written right into the mandate of the BC Chamber of Commerce.

Mr. Baxter finished with a genuine offer of continuing support.

This fellow is obviously in our court.

Walt Judas focused chiefly upon the negative effects and impacts the pandemic has had on the Tourism Industry as a whole.

With regard to the public fishery, he noted that he had "attempted to initiate conversations at the federal level", but with nothing to follow on that one can assume he was ignored as this government is wont to do when the messege isn't to their liking.

He did note and saw off with the message they understand, they are willing to help, and they are going to "pick up these issues again" in the next short while.

Another in our court.

So, I found the Conference to pretty much as I expected. Platitudes, condescension from government, the further "justification" of Reconciliation and why we matter obviously a bit further down the totem pole than they do.

Still worth taking in simply to understand the prevailing mindset.

I suspect the series will be available for review soon. When it is, I will post.

Cheers,
Nog

So, no changes in the future other than reconciliation. We all know what that means.

November 30, 2020
Our 2020 virtual conference sessions concluded on Friday the 27th. Attendance was excellent as were the questions and participation of everyone that joined us over the month of November. Thank you once again to all attendees, speakers and our sponsors.

Our speakers presented or provided remarks on a variety of subjects addressing our theme, Charting a Predictable Path for Salmon and BC’s Public Fishery. The remarks and issues covered help guide the work and efforts of the SFI looking ahead to 2021 and beyond.

Whether learning more about the impacts of mammal predation on the state of salmon stocks in Georgia Strait, the opportunities that Mark Selective Fishing and Mass Marking present to aid in the recovery of stocks of concern and to providing access for the public fishery in areas that urgently require it, or to hear remarks from the Parliamentary Secretary to the Fisheries Minister, North Vancouver- Burnaby MP, Terry Beech on actions proposed or being contemplated by Fisheries and Oceans Canada, all show there is much work and follow up to occur as we move into the winter and planning for 2021 and beyond.

For those who were unable to attend the virtual conference sessions or would like to see portions of webinars or presentations again, please visit the
SFI website. Each of the four webinars are archived and many of the presentations are available too.

Until next time, tight lines,

The SFI Team
----

Check out the Fishing BC App on
iOS or Android. Help the new Species ID feature to learn by submitting your fish photos.

Back