2020 Secret Cove, Pender Harbour and Texada Reports

Status
Not open for further replies.
It is NUTS out there right now! So glad we got out yesterday. Picked up two at the pilings with a sweet butt drive by bait toss by @ab1752. Didn't need it as the lemon lime skinny g did the trick. All action at 141' on the rigger. Probably had over a dozen to the boat in a couple hours. Lots of smalls out there. Looks like I'll be trying to find hiding spots for a couple days.

Wish I had stuck around to fish today. Enviro Canada's report was pretty doom and gloom with 15 to 20 knot winds. So as soon as I saw some calm, I head home (though with slight detour through Thrasher). Wish I had stayed a few extra hours to fish as I love Pender Harbour. Is it just me, or have Enviro Canada's reports been a bit less predictive lately?

Picked up a goodie at the pilings again today at 9am. On bottom in shallow.
How were the winds this am? I decided to wait after thrashing around yesterday morning.

If you can make the run up to Scotch Fir Pt it might be worth it, the fishing was unreal last night and this morning...
Oh nice. I don't know the area well is that the West end of Texada by the ferry?

Is it just me or is it a crappy start to the Chinook season? Picked up a 68 cm on day one and that’s been it.

My fish finder is crap but I don’t usually go dry for too long just trying different depths between 30-120’

Is it just me or is it a crappy start to the Chinook season? Picked up a 68 cm on day one and that’s been it.

My fish finder is crap but I don’t usually go dry for too long just trying different depths between 30-120’
It’s been a rough go. Before opening day I was getting 30 plus fish to the boat in a few hours. Can’t hook into any thing now

It’s been a rough go. Before opening day I was getting 30 plus fish to the boat in a few hours. Can’t hook into any thing now
Same here. Been a remarkably slow start compared to last season.
Big tides. But then again I'm killing it ;)

I was destroying it at catch n release too and today was the first day of no legals, I've never seen so many 4 lb chinooks in my life. Started at Epsom around 10 to noon then ripped over to lasquetti same thing, then upwood and west must have had 20+ unders to the boat and we covered a ton of ground.

The NW winds have arrived. This meant bashing into them for 40 mins until merry island then no worries all day. I'm on the deck now and theres still a puff in the air, tomorrow will be the same but I'm ripping past all those areas and heading to the pilings and beyond for another epic day.

I ran everything in my box after being cleaned out of bait. Blue green coyote spoon actually out performed bait. All my nice new AP spoons have yet to produce for me, maybe I'm using them wrong.

The whales came through the mid straits yesterday and I'm thinking that had a lot to do with today's performance. Back at it tomorrow cheers.

I may have been a little quick with my complaint of a crappy start. After 5 hours of nothing but shakers yesterday morning, went out after dinner. Bam. 16 lb within 30 minutes.

Out this morning at 6:00. Back at the dock at 6:45 with an 11 lb.

One on a pearlescent black spatter spoon, the other on a herring aid spoon. Both near Fran Pen lighthouse.

I fished south thormanby yesterday and didn’t get anything trolling. I went into the bay by Bertha island and there was a big school of anchovies at 40 feet. I put a buzz bomb on my kids rod and got a really nice 12 lb Chinook. It was a pretty good fight. 10 pound test versus 12 pound fish.

Wow. That must have been an epic battle.

Must be me...pounded up to the pilings this morning and put 4 hours in for the tide change...one close to legal spring and that's it! Headed towards Anderson bay when it dropped and poked around but a few coho hits and that's it.

Had a wicked swim in the middle of the straits and what an awesome day. Still blowing back at home so gonna kick back and give er again tomorrow.

I'm not sure if the Prince of Whales are doing a sight seeing tour but they were ripping around merry islands again and it felt whaleish again. That's my story and I'm sticking to it lol

Wow. That must have been an epic battle.
So second day in a row. Nothing trolling went in the bay, full of anchovies. You can see them swimming everywhere. Got another nice fish on a silver and blue buzz bomb. My neighbors kids 10 year old was fishing along side us with his dad and had 4 on and managed to get one in.

Fished quarry bay and just south of the bay near akland rock Saturday morning. Had 3 unders and managed to get a 10lber in 2.5 hours. Went out this morning and started just south of acland rock at 6am, got a 13lber in the boat by 6:30am. Both fish were caught between 135ft and 150ft. Both on pesca spoons.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back