2020 Secret Cove, Pender Harbour and Texada Reports

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fished Yesterday around Bjerre shoal with good success using green glo flashers and a combo of bait and spoons skinny G Irish cream and herring aide. Had about 15 fish to the boat released 12# spring and one really nice wild coho. No keepers for us but that's fishing these days for now unfortunately. All fish caught in the 50 ' to 75' range. Hoping the wind will calm
Tight lines

Went out to shoals for evening bite. Four hits but only one immature Chinook to the boat. Lots of feed on the sounder! Most hits were seconds after watching the rod/flashers bouncing as we passed through bait at 40-80 feet. Only catch and release but still fun especially for a newbie friend.

I’ve been trolling in front of secret and up bjerre. I’m landing undersized Chinook each time I’m out. Need this wind to change though. Rough go. Again, usually in pretty shallow water. Would be nice to stumble upon a unicorn that is the coho hatch.

Hi All, first time poster here. First of all, thanks to all contributors as this forum has helped me learn. I 'm looking forward to posting my own reports this season. I got started with boating and fishing less than 2 years ago. Taking my boat to fish in Pender Harbour for the first time this coming week. I want to try fishing up at Egmont Pt, Sutton Islets and Egmont Harbour, but have heard the tides can make Skookumchuk Narrows very dangerous. Can anyone tell me where the dangerous part begins? Is it generally safe at Epsom Pt and Sutton Islets, or do I need to only be in that area during slack tide? As a boater with less than 2 years of experience, I want to play it safe. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!

You're covering a lot of water in what you wrote.

Can you tell me what boat you're running? As a rule stay out of the rapids unless right around slack and you're damn sure your boat is dialed in.

Lots of amazing spots to fish on all of those areas. Epsom pt / bjerre shoal would be least susceptible to tides for sure.

You're covering a lot of water in what you wrote.

Can you tell me what boat you're running? As a rule stay out of the rapids unless right around slack and you're damn sure your boat is dialed in.

Lots of amazing spots to fish on all of those areas. Epsom pt / bjerre shoal would be least susceptible to tides for sure.

Thanks AB, my boat is not very powerful. It's a 25 foot powerboat with a 150hp outboard. I wouldnt want to go anywhere where I'd need a lot of power to stay safe. I definitely know that I should stay out of Sechelt Rapids, but I guess I'm wondering if Suttom Islets would be getting too close to there, especially if it's not slack tide. Thanks again!

You can find fish right at the entrance to pender harbor and in pretty much every direction. If it was me I would check the weather and likely just work the wall on the southern approach to pender harbor or blast down the bjeere shoals. You're relatively protected depending on the winds and we have mostly had SE for the past few days.

For me, I will be back on the Coast Tuesday night and will be heading to that area at first light Wednesday morning. So many amazing spots, sorry I cant help you further around egmont but there are fish that way with no need to transit the rapids either.

Where are you going to launch the boat?

I just went through the rapids on an ebb tide and the current was at 4.7kts. We are in a 30 foot boat powered by a 454, and I will be waiting for a couple of knots to slack before I do it again. We had a whirlpool about 30 feet across and what looked like 6 feet lower in its eye, open up beside us and we were listing towards it pretty good. I throttled up and took off, but had the motor picked that time to crap the bed, we could have been in a spot of trouble. No need to go above the rapids. You can fuel up below the rapids and there didn't appear to be any great fishing as you got towards Sechelt anyways.

Thanks a lot AB and SenorJeem! That sounds good. I wont be launching the boat as I'll be coming to Pender Harbour on my boat.

So just to beat this dead horse, does anyone know if fishing as far south as the Sutton Islets puts you in the tidal danger zone, or is it safe so long as you dont get into the Sechelt Rapids? Thanks all!

You should have no trouble at all near Sutton It. Even farther up channel, to Egmont marina for fuel, or Bathgate general store won't have you in danger.

Sutton Islets won't be in the tidal danger zone, but you will still have some currents there. I remember trying to land a crew boat on the outer dock at the Backeddy Marina during a strong ebb and the current was making life difficult for sure!

Tried Epsom Point and Bjerre for first time today. Unfortunately, didnt get any keepers. Got a mini chinook at 110 ft and few non-hatch Cohos at 30 and 80 feet at Epsom. Spoons and hoochies only. Got nothing at Bjerre. Saw some guy catch a Chinook and he said 200 feet on the rigger. Maybe I was at the wrong depths for Chinook. Will try again tomorrow!

Tried Epsom Point and Bjerre for first time today. Unfortunately, didnt get any keepers. Got a mini chinook at 110 ft and few non-hatch Cohos at 30 and 80 feet at Epsom. Spoons and hoochies only. Got nothing at Bjerre. Saw some guy catch a Chinook and he said 200 feet on the rigger. Maybe I was at the wrong depths for Chinook. Will try again tomorrow!

Sorry in advance for poaching on the reports page, however, can anyone tell me if there is a processor near Pender where a guy can get his catch frozen??

You're a hero if you were outside at Epsom today! I ran up to the pilings and dropped in around 730. Picked up a 68 cm nookie pretty quickly then a rash of under and wild coho. The around 1130 I got tired of fighting the SE and commenced the run back and holy smokes it was nasty. I didnt think I could cross to Buccaneer Bay so I hugged texada and managed to slide across at the bottom of texada. Full vessel wave shots and the boat just plowed along. Anyway the keeper was right at the hydro cut about 110' and 90' on the rigger. Xl chovie...btw I've been covering a lot of ground between Robert's creek and pilings for me, bait is the program and no need for 200' at all. 90 to 110 max. Cheers

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back