2020 Secret Cove, Pender Harbour and Texada Reports

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey Coast guys, how's it going up there? Heard word of a slab being pulled in off epsom late last week, just a straggler or are you seeing decent action for this time if year before monsoon season kicks into gear? Im going to take a swipe at the usual spots one last time later this week, see how it goes. Cheers!

According to the fuel dock guy at Buccaneer Marina there was a run at Epson one night about 10 days ago.

Still seeing big targets on top of Bjerre but getting them to bite is hard. No keepers for me.

Fished the main SW tack from the point at Epsom on Saturday. Very slow (tumbleweeds).
Popped over to Upwood, marked more bait and a few fish. Couple of shakers released.
Finished at Sangster and had lots of action, but all shakers and one juusst under.
Ran spoons, chovies and hoochies on 4 lines stacked from 60-80-100-120. Shakers throughout depths fished.
Shaping up to be a solid winter chinook fishery!

Are you running the boat across? If so take your time and have a look around gower point on your way.
No I have an old two stroke 115. Might not have enough fuel to run there haha. We’re taking the ferry.

Actually I’m sure I’d make it there with fuel but the weather might not be favourable. And pregnant wife and dog might not have a good time if it’s rough

No I have an old two stroke 115. Might not have enough fuel to run there haha. We’re taking the ferry.

Actually I’m sure I’d make it there with fuel but the weather might not be favourable. And pregnant wife and dog might not have a good time if it’s rough

Good plan, I think it looks decent for weather this weekend so you should be alright to get out there. My plans are in jeopardy now as the kid's hockey tryouts are cranked up now with a ridiculous amount of time on the ice so it may be a day trip. Have a great trip!

Pushed off for “possibly” the last trip of the year Sunday, 3 boats working Epsom, well one moocher is that work? Many unders, nice wild hoes, just under lings a few pop offs and gone, fun way to use up the last of the bait. Enjoyable day, big pod of large black and white blowhole mammals showing their stuff mid straight for an extended time. They caught the attention of a large yacht for a long period it looked like he was mooching…. Did not see a harpoon out must have skunked (Black and white) see…

Last edited:
Oddly enough they show up at "the gap" west side south of Epsom just off the drop off, a run comes to the mouth of Halfmoon bay creek and stalls at the O'Brian bridge/falls.

guessing this is the gap between north and south thormanby, on the georgia strait side?

i remember 15-20 years ago that isthmus used to fully flood over at high tide. now with all the erosion and sedimentation from the cliffs, she's fully dry and vegetated. crazy seeing that kind of change in such a short time period

Yes the gap between north and south Thormanby I also remember the big Kelp beds at Merry Island, Sangster and throughout the area. May give it a few tacks next weekend prior to pulling for the season, will report back if it happens.

guessing this is the gap between north and south thormanby, on the georgia strait side?

i remember 15-20 years ago that isthmus used to fully flood over at high tide. now with all the erosion and sedimentation from the cliffs, she's fully dry and vegetated. crazy seeing that kind of change in such a short time period
Buccaneer Bay folks refer to this as "Second Gap". The First Gap is half a mile to the south, and silted in back in the 1950s; charts refer to the small knoll between the gaps as Riggs Island. In days gone by, the old Union Steamship boats came in through the first gap and used a now-gone dock on the east (bay) side of the gap. Remains of the old pilings are still visible on really low tides.

Buccaneer Bay folks refer to this as "Second Gap". The First Gap is half a mile to the south, and silted in back in the 1950s; charts refer to the small knoll between the gaps as Riggs Island. In days gone by, the old Union Steamship boats came in through the first gap and used a now-gone dock on the east (bay) side of the gap. Remains of the old pilings are still visible on really low tides.

very cool.. didn't know about the southern gap - must be just south of the Pears' cabin.
i have seen those old pilings on low lows, but never knew their history.
thanks!

Rapid sedimentation is common in recently glaciated regions with high precip. One more example then I'll stop with the thread derail: the Sechelt Peninsula would have been Sechelt Island until very recently in geologic terms. Imagine the drive or walk from Poropise Bay to the public dock at the foot of Wharf Ave, it's barely 1 km and has an elevation gain and fall of less than 10 metres, and the land rises to both sides. That is accreted land where maybe 1000-2000 years ago it would have been a shallow, narrow pass from the Strait into Sechelt Inlet.

Rapid sedimentation is common in recently glaciated regions with high precip. One more example then I'll stop with the thread derail: the Sechelt Peninsula would have been Sechelt Island until very recently in geologic terms. Imagine the drive or walk from Poropise Bay to the public dock at the foot of Wharf Ave, it's barely 1 km and has an elevation gain and fall of less than 10 metres, and the land rises to both sides. That is accreted land where maybe 1000-2000 years ago it would have been a shallow, narrow pass from the Strait into Sechelt Inlet.
We have skilled people on this forum offering up little known information that you could never find on Google. Nice!

You're speaking my language! (sensing another geologist?)
In the case of Thormanby, it's pretty cool seeing geological processes that change geographies as we know them within a human timescale (decades, even!).
Fascinating on the Sechelt Peninsula front - isn't it all Jurassic Coast Crystalline Complex granitoids, or is there an accretion of another unit in there? Are you also referring post-glacial isostatic rebound?

These are the conversation that glazes over my wife's eyes in mere seconds.

Also, hit up Sangster and Bjerre on weekend. No keepers but at least 10 shakers - should be a really good winter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back