2020 Secret Cove, Pender Harbour and Texada Reports

Discussion in '2020 Saltwater Fishing Reports' started by SFBC, Jan 1, 2020.

1. SFBC

SFBC Admin Staff Member

Post your 2020 fishing reports here!

2. grascal

grascal Member

May as well jump on the first post of the year.
    Fishing has been steady for winter chinook around Pender Harbour. Started the New Year off right with a 14# hatchery fish on Jan 1, best of the winter so far.
    Not seeing large amounts of bait, this one just ate a couple large herring.
    Some days its undersized but there are good ones out there.
    Many fish showing damage from predators.

NewYearSpring2020.jpg

3. Bugs

Bugs Active Member

Glad you are getting into them Gulf Rascal! Thanks as always for your contributions to the adult Chinook and Coho Diet Study. Your samples from Pender Harbour area have been a huge benefit to the program!

4. Salish Ranger

Salish Ranger New Member

Nice one. How deep are you finding them?

I was putting in the prawns traps and spotted a couple targets on the finder near Edgecomb around the 30’ deep mark.

5. grascal

grascal Member

100-200 ft or maybe more. Always close to the bottom where ever I find bait.

Salish Ranger likes this.
  6. Salish Ranger

Salish Ranger New Member

Thanks. Will have to try deeper.

7. Nice one Rick! Can't go wrong with the Derby Winner this time of year.. see you on the water.

grascal likes this.
  8. I was out most of yesterday... started at Bjerre and fished the high slack, then moved to Epsom for the afternoon glassss. Lots of fish to the boat (8-10) throughout the day, but all unders. Couldn't find much bait out there - Bjerre was barren in AM and Epsom only had a few small clusters. Most consistent fishing was the WSW-ENE trending bank coming off the Epsom Point marker, with the bait at the far WSW corner. Heck of a day out there though! A pair real big sea lions were catching bigger fish than me though............ o_O:mad:

Netanyahu, ab1752 and chipstealer like this.
  9. Salish Ranger

Salish Ranger New Member

I saw a few people out today. Some trolling past the lighthouse on Fran Pen. A couple jigging or mooching off of Harness and Cates islands. Don’t know if anybody was catching.

10. grascal

grascal Member

Out this morning, warm and flat, N of Quarry Bay. 3 hits for a pair of 9# winter springs and a yelloweye (rlsd). Derby Winner spoon on the bottom doing a good job.
    Saw a few boats fishing outside Bjerre this aft.

11. Anyone been out in the pender area recently thinking of taking a trip up that way later this week... any info would be great thanks

12. Salish Ranger

Salish Ranger New Member

Nothing really in season at the moment. Salmon, Ling and Rock Cod are all closed. Ling may reopen in May.

Prawns are open but catches for me have been so-so.

13. Seaducer

Seaducer Member

Howdy,

just inquiring if the launch at coopers green is open? Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

thanks.

14. ab1752

ab1752 Well-Known Member

That's managed by the scrd so you could give them a shout. I'm guessing the ramp is open but the park isn't so you may have to drop the trailer elsewhere.

There's also the ramp at Buccaneer bay marina, they are open apparently.