2020 Prince Rupert Fishing Report

Im switching things up & bringing the boat up to Rupert 3rd week of May for 4 days of fishing. Doing a trip with my son for some good father/son time. For xmas all he asked Santa for was to go jig up some rockfish & lings with his dad.. I looked at my wife when we read it & said, "I dont even have to ask to go on a trip with that boy". It got me a little choked up reading, that thats all he wanted for xmas. Im still the coolest guy in the world & Im not going to let that go to waste,

Looking forward to it & love the challenge of new fishing grounds. I have lots of goals for the trip, including deep dropping & prawning. All I can hope for is that the weather gods bless us.

Im switching things up & bringing the boat up to Rupert 3rd week of May for 4 days of fishing. Doing a trip with my son for some good father/son time. For xmas all he asked Santa for was to go jig up some rockfish & lings with his dad.. I looked at my wife when we read it & said, "I dont even have to ask to go on a trip with that boy". It got me a little choked up reading, that thats all he wanted for xmas. Im still the coolest guy in the world & Im not going to let that go to waste,

Looking forward to it & love the challenge of new fishing grounds. I have lots of goals for the trip, including deep dropping & prawning. All I can hope for is that the weather gods bless us.
I’ll pm you my number and get you all set up tons of good fishing to be had

My dad is getting older and have been trying to make an early spring trip up to Rupert. Every year I always seem to have something at work that keeps me from going this year I can get away the last week of April has anyone have experience there at this time of year. I usually go the first week of July. I also might be able to get away the second week of June any thoughts.

I’d need to make this trip before it’s to late and he can’t fish like this anymore.

My dad is getting older and have been trying to make an early spring trip up to Rupert. Every year I always seem to have something at work that keeps me from going this year I can get away the last week of April has anyone have experience there at this time of year. I usually go the first week of July. I also might be able to get away the second week of June any thoughts.

I’d need to make this trip before it’s to late and he can’t fish like this anymore.
Both those dates will work June will be the better of the two in terms of average size of fish but there should be lots of fish either date last April you didn’t need to go far to find good numbers

I finally bought a boat worthy of a salt water fishing trip and plan to make a trip over to Rupert at the end of May. The only problem is I have 0 saltwater fishing experience. Should I just head out and learn the hard way based on research or are there actually people out there willing to share some of their secrets? Is there any guides willing to take a small group of us out on my boat and show me the ropes? Yes I would pay for the experience.
I'm sure I can figure it all out as I know people who make every this trip every year. Getting everyones schedule lined up is the problem. I've decided to organize this trip either way. Any information would be valuable and appreciated.
I have most of the gear needed and now seek a little guidance. Where to fish, depths, lures and techniques, where to set crab traps/depths?
Thanks
Mark

I finally bought a boat worthy of a salt water fishing trip and plan to make a trip over to Rupert at the end of May. The only problem is I have 0 saltwater fishing experience. Should I just head out and learn the hard way based on research or are there actually people out there willing to share some of their secrets? Is there any guides willing to take a small group of us out on my boat and show me the ropes? Yes I would pay for the experience.
I'm sure I can figure it all out as I know people who make every this trip every year. Getting everyones schedule lined up is the problem. I've decided to organize this trip either way. Any information would be valuable and appreciated.
I have most of the gear needed and now seek a little guidance. Where to fish, depths, lures and techniques, where to set crab traps/depths?
Thanks
Mark

rupert is fairly easy to fish weather depending anchovies and herring in teaser heads work great. Pick your colour pattern they all work some better than others. Plastic skirts behind flashers or dodgers work as well. If you don’t have any local knowledge most of the guide boats leave the dock 5 to 6 am easy enough to follow them to the salmon bite. North tip of Stevens island at Avery point is good south end of Melville island by beaver or Simpson rock. And as always the north end of Dundas island north east side, north end or north west side just about always produces. One must pay attention to weather wind and currents of heading up there. Remember always troll in a counter clockwise pattern with right rod to the rocks you’ll avoid upsetting seasoned anglers that way. I run the starboard rod between 35-50’ and the port rod 45-70’ deep always have at least a 10’ difference to allow a bigger zone being fished.

Pick your self up some depth charts study them for likely halibut holes. I did this and targeted flat top humps between 150’ and 240’. I sat in my boat with my chart plotter and marked the spots I liked. After a few trips I’ve got some dandies to fish. And don’t feel bad about cruising by someone anchored up and mark the spot just not to close so you don’t rock the boat lol.
check out Big coast fishing shows in Rupert good information.

Thanks for the information man. The weather wind and currents is definitely my biggest concern because I don't know what to watch for other than if all the other boats are heading in then maybe I should follow. Lol

Check the weather network every morning before you go out north and south winds are the worst west to east can be bad as well. Anything over 15-20 km be careful. I’ll peak outside Anyway and judge from there for myself it gets shallow quickly just outside of Metlakatla. Trust your gut if it doesn’t feel right it probably isn’t for you. I’ve been going there over twenty years I’m not afraid to go back in and sample the local micro brewery.

Its usually good to go weather wise early at first light best fishing anyways. If the wind is right you can fish safely against the island and follow the wind and waves back into port. I’m by no means a expert on the subject but I have put my time in learning the area.

one other thing if you decide to rent a guide to learn the area don’t take a GPS with you. Fishing will become very slow and likely no other boats around. Not me but someone I know experienced this phenomenon out there. That’s where getting maps and studying them come in handy. I know the bottom from shore to the Charlottes as good as anyone. It’s an expensive hobby not to put the work in. also look back at previous fishing reports on this site great resource.

Cheers and good luck Jody

Anyone been out in Rupert lately? Haven't gone yet due to the local response to sport fishers.........not welcome.
Maybe someone local on here has been out or has some insight on the current situation.

Anyone been out in Rupert lately? Haven't gone yet due to the local response to sport fishers.........not welcome.
Maybe someone local on here has been out or has some insight on the current situation.
Last I’ve heard is some of the local guides are very unhappy with out of town people coming there to fish. Some locals have even gone as far as to vandalize vehicles parked down by the harbour. There was a few pictures posted on the Alberta outdoorsman forum of said vehicles and a few comments from a local. I personally can’t understand that mentality behind it not much better distancing than going out fishing. Hopefully it turns around soon so those that don’t live beside the salt can go back to some sort of normal life activity’s.
I’m like you and would like to hear from a local.

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=379252

I kind of consider myself local.....I live in smihers. But have resisted going due to the people of prince Rupert asking non residents of the community to stay away. I respect their angst over the current situation, but will most likely give it a try in the next month at some point.
Just wondering if anyone has actually fished there in the recent past.

Not welcome in Rupert!
Many areas in BC that are not welcoming outsiders and has zero to do with this "Virus". Haters and selfish!!
Guides for sure don't want any fishers there, bet the gas stations, restaurants, tackle shops, hotels, liquor stores, small shops want more in town, especially Albertans!!
Be interesting to know if the guides are cancelling their trips if they include out of town clients. HIGHLY DOUBT IT!!
Quarantine the ones that are most susceptible and lets get on with it.. This applies to the whole country.
Our government is crippling the economy!!

WHAT IS GOING ON IS DEPLORABLE AND NOT REALISTIC!!

Not welcome in Rupert!
Many areas in BC that are not welcoming outsiders and has zero to do with this "Virus". Haters and selfish!!
Our government is crippling the economy!!

WHAT IS GOING ON IS DEPLORABLE AND NOT REALISTIC!!
Take a breath! Most people understand that we are following the recommendations of medical professionals. If the residents of small communities have asked you to stay away, respect that. Stay home. We have been through recessions before and survived. Many businesses have already adapted to the new reality and are doing just fine.

Take a breath! Most people understand that we are following the recommendations of medical professionals. If the residents of small communities have asked you to stay away, respect that. Stay home. We have been through recessions before and survived. Many businesses have already adapted to the new reality and are doing just fine.

Right, doing just fine. You are funny!! Sounds like what a public employee would say! Too many sheep being led around cuz, it's just easier!

I digress..

Back