2020 Port Hardy Reports

Status
Not open for further replies.
We are looking at a Port Hardy trip in mid. September,We have allways come up in spring.
Any word on if this would be a good time for some activity.Northern Coho ? etc

Anyone got any updates? going to be heading up there this weekend for a few days and would love any pointers as this is my first time going to Port Hardy?

Fished last wknd at Edmunds rock was slow but we scratched up a few salmon,day before was on fire as it is any given tide or day up there.The wall has been hot as well so Summary is there are lots of salmon and its only gonna get better

Just back for our trip to port hardy. Put the boat in the water Thursday night and then headed to the cabin to get settled in. Friday morning we blasted to shuttleworth bay and hooked int 14 springs and managed to keep 5 after breaking a couple off and loosing some to sea lions. Decided to go drop the anchor for Hali but didn’t find any.

Saturday morning we decided we were going to check out the wall on the main land. Ended up only catching 3 small springs in about 3 hours so the boys were itching to get back to shuttleworth so I reluctantly pulled the gear and headed across passing by all the Premium bottom fishing holes... got to shuttle and could not even find one spring.

Sunday she was blowing a gale! But the boys wanted to go for it so we headed for the cape against my better judgement. After we got across the bar we were greeted with 8-10 foot swell with 4’ wind chop on top. Being the only boat out there I was reluctant to drop the gear but the boys wanted some salmon so down it went for a couple hours. We only managed one bite that didn’t stick. After I had enough we packed up and headed in to lucky limit out on ling and rock fish while fighting ridiculous wind. I didn’t see another boat all day and I have never been out on water like that and don’t think I ever will again... the straights water was more white then green...

Monday we blasted up to shuttle again and found the water way better! What could be worse then the day before? Trolled around for 4 hours and only caught 1, 20lbs salmon.

It was definitely tough sledding out there and I feel lucky to have brought home anything. Our neighbors got out there Friday night and missed the Friday morning bite. For the four of them after 3 full days of fishing they were taking home 1 small chinook...

Looks like the weather is changing later this week for the better so best of luck to any one heading up.

Sorry for the late response, was up from the 19th-23rd. Fishing was lights out, came back with our springs and Hali’s. One rough day that broke everything on the boat twice over, but was an amazing initial trip. Stayed in shuttleworth, white glow Hoochies, or coho killers in the Irish cream seemed to be the top dogs, but bait was also getting them. Lots of squid and needlefish in their stomachs.

I was up fishing at Cape Sutil and then around the corner towards Cape Scott last weekend , lots of springs around and managed a small halibut trolling a real bonus. We trolled with brown and white turds , anchovies, white hoochie but the purple haze hoochie was on fire.

Purple Hazes rarely fail ..... :)

Good point, I’m sure everyone knows this already but I got caught in using only what worked last time until the end of the day. Last time we were up at Cape Sutil the white turd was hot, even with some brown on it. So that’s what we started with in the morning, white turd on one side and the brown turd on the other. We picked on the halibut on the white turd first thing around the corner near Shuttleworth Bay, then we got hits on the brown turd but they weren’t sticking. Then a couple hours later we got a 12lb spring on the white turd but pretty slow. My buddy was fishing next to use and boated 4 springs in the same time on the purple haze hoochie. I should have changed one side sooner to the purple haze, we may have boated a few more springs... live and learn

Good to hear what works and what doesn't. I have always had luck on the purple haze, and I would say the skinny ones work better than the standard Hootchie size. Thorw a little WD40 or Herring Oil on them and you are good to go. I like to inject the oil into the head of the lure. Ive had pretty good luck with frozen anchovies and herring too. Never have had much success with spoons and its seems I often catch minnows on the spoons. Curious what speed where you trolling at? I like 1.9 - 2.5 mph

upload_2020-7-2_18-46-30.png

Hey there gents!!!
Buddy and I usually fish the west side(Nootkasound)
But want to come to PHardy and try hook a few pigs that we herd about... not bring the boat, only getting few days up there and learning new area would be take a few seasons lol...
Basically am asking who are the top few guides out there ( in case some are booked) that would be recommended here since this is your and you know the guys...
We’d do 3/4/5 days till we find em legendary hogs.
Thanks
Tight lines!!!

Hey there gents!!!
Buddy and I usually fish the west side(Nootkasound)
But want to come to PHardy and try hook a few pigs that we herd about... not bring the boat, only getting few days up there and learning new area would be take a few seasons lol...
Basically am asking who are the top few guides out there ( in case some are booked) that would be recommended here since this is your and you know the guys...
We’d do 3/4/5 days till we find em legendary hogs.
Thanks
Tight lines!!!

I used Randy a couple years ago. Knows his stuff.
http://www.randysfishingcharters.ca

Right on I’ll look him up...
My 40th and big experience trip so we want to get on with experienced knowledgeable local...
Appreciate your reference!

I don’t think you can keep “the big hogs” in that area anymore

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back