2020 Port Alberni and Alberni Inlet Reports

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you truly believe that DFO manages Alberni for the commercial fleet I suggest you talk to ex commercial fishermen like myself who sold my gillnetter and licence at a substantial loss as you didn’t get enough fish out of the Alberni fisheries to feed a cat. Just big expenses to fish 2-3 times a year. There is one group who dominates the catching piece and have for many years and hint hint ....it’s not commercial.
FN because the court system gave them that right to sell fish : (

If you truly believe that DFO manages Alberni for the commercial fleet I suggest you talk to ex commercial fishermen like myself who sold my gillnetter and licence at a substantial loss as you didn’t get enough fish out of the Alberni fisheries to feed a cat. Just big expenses to fish 2-3 times a year. There is one group who dominates the catching piece and have for many years and hint hint ....it’s not commercial.
Redfisher, while I respect your experience as a commercial gillnetter, I was at that meeting at China Creek all those years ago and personally asked numerous questions of the DFO officer present to clarify what we all heard. He stated numerous times that the Alberni Inlet Sockeye fishery is managed for commercial interests period. You obviously didn't have a relationship with Jim Pattison who owns or controls 40% of all Canadian commercial fishing vessels and at least all the seine boats that come over from Vancouver, spend no money on the Island, to rape the Inlet yearly. Maybe the fact that you couldn't fish often enough to survive had something to do with the fact that Canada allows owners of boats 'registered' for a fishery to transfer quota from vessel to vessel in it's fleet. So, if all the seine and a majority of the net boats belong to one entity, Pattison, that one entity controls the entire fishery. The reality is that the only reason DFO opens any sportsfishing opportunity at all, even in weak return years like this year, is to justify and shield the opening of the commercial fishery. Let's be real. It's really easy to blame FN. If you had been screwed as long as they have, you'd want your share (and more) as well. Commie control of the fishery is the problem and will be until all the fish are gone.
jc Tuna Maru

So we drug around our 2 hooks this morning and went 3/6 outside China Creek. A few fish around and most people getting something. We had 3 fish taken by the seals which are numerous and aggressive but we managed to get 2 of them back. Very nice morning to fish here. Fished spoons.
How deep where you when you where catching fish?

Just returning to the mainland from Barkley Sound. Stayed at Eagle Nook - awesome lodge, unbelievable guides and staff!!! The guides all share fishing info and we regularly fished as a pack. The last two days were on fire - we were fishing the contours and had fish on each lap more than not!!! Swale, Turner and Fleming were hot! Halibut offshore were also plentiful. We will be going back next year!

Anybody give Franklin River area a few tacks yet? Should be a few fish holding there this time of year. Might hit it for a couple passes on the way out to the sound on Sunday.

I trolled Leaning tree and Narrows today with not even a nibble. I saw a few cought but mostly quiet.
Back at China there where boats with fish and some without, I did not talk with anyone that got there
Daily limit. Tomorrow will be better, aka: Every fishermans dream.

Fished China creek Monday on the way back in from Barkley, stopped for the noon tide change and did two drifts from China creek to the narrows with 2 boats, no bites

Fished China creek Monday on the way back in from Barkley, stopped for the noon tide change and did two drifts from China creek to the narrows with 2 boats, no bites
Think it’s morning show or evening most likely

We went 2 for 3 in the first hour of daylight on Sunday before we ran out to the sound. Saw a decent amount of fish caught, most boats seemed to have at least a couple, some had 3 or 4. Wasn't red hot but seemed pretty decent. Definitely saw good numbers of fish on the electronics.

There are definitely fish around we went 4 for 7 on springs up to 22lbs on Saturday, anchovies was the bait of choice. Bites were staggered thru the day but majority where first thing in the morning.

Got there late today, only got one bite at 10:30 and landed it, so not a complete waste of the morning
weather was outstanding. I will be back next week, hopefully there will be bigger numbers of fish.
The biggest one I seen at the cleaning station was 24#, it looked like a small Hog as I get used to smaller and smaller
fish. Oh yah, I just bought a nice gut and gill knife and I just finnished cleaning my one
fish and it got knocked down the side drains, never to be seen again. This has happened to me before,
I wish they would add a coarse stainless mesh over the drains. After it happened a lot of the cleaners
said that it has happened to them. At least I finnished the job.:)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back