2020 Port Alberni and Alberni Inlet Reports

Status
Not open for further replies.
You are correct. It is fully inside the inlet. There are about 40 boats and I suspect most will be fishing inside more as it is a little skinny for fish on the outside right now.

You are correct. It is fully inside the inlet. There are about 40 boats and I suspect most will be fishing inside more as it is a little skinny for fish on the outside right now.

Ok thanks....I would say that is pretty much the end of any decent sportfishing for sockeye in the Inlet then hey ? I'm thinking cancel my trip for tomorrow and go out Wednesday here in Nanaimo for the Chinook opener.

I wouldn’t give up on sockeye yet. While it might be slow right now it can change in a few days. They can trickle in right until September.

Ok thanks....I would say that is pretty much the end of any decent sportfishing for sockeye in the Inlet then hey ? I'm thinking cancel my trip for tomorrow and go out Wednesday here in Nanaimo for the Chinook opener.
This Morning was good in front of china Creek. got our 4 in about 20 minutes. However Sunday was slow and Saturday non existent with the nets in a few days before. You can pretty much assume after a commie opening...slow fishing. ( the FN's have been hitting it hard at 10 mile point for about 2 weeks now with the gillnets)

Sproat Cameras are still showing a steady amount of fish going through the tunnels. I have watched them a bit here and there and swear I have seen around 25+ Altantic's going up over the last two weeks, a bunch all at once. They are larger than most and have big spots, some even look ....bent? Tail pointing down.

Probably summer run steelhead I’m guessing

Here's a question: how quickly do sockeye move up the inlet? I've seen schools hang out in anarea for an entire day, but I've seen entire reaches packed one day and empty the next.
Hoping for knowledgeable replies, and not guesses (I have plenty of those :)

Regarding the size of the sockeye, the run to Alberni is made up of 4 & 5 year old fish. the 4's can average 4-5 lbs and the 5's can run 6-7. Usually more 4 year olds.

Had 5 this morning above the narrows. A few small schools out in the middle. Very small fish and aggressive seals chasing the fish right to the boat. Bubblegum best today at 40-50’

No sockeye for us today, or for any other of the ~30 boats out there (that we saw).
The Nita Maria worked its way toward town, using the net here and there. Sure am curious as to the latest numbers.

No Sox for me today but had 3 on. Fishing solo with lots of moss is tough. Saw some nice clumps of fish on sounder but only saw 2 fish caught. Definitely slow going.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back