2020 Port Alberni and Alberni Inlet Reports

Status
Not open for further replies.
Going to tow the boat up tomorrow and give it a shot ! Just wondering what kind of flasher or if you guys are using flashers at all?

Going to tow the boat up tomorrow and give it a shot ! Just wondering what kind of flasher or if you guys are using flashers at all?

Yes I use flashers and dummy flashers for sockeye...pretty much need them for action on your bubblegum squirt....short leader too, no more than 2ft.

Thanks for all the info guys. Out here now so far only one to the boat, don’t see much being caught for the amount of boats out here

I thought so too.
I am watching the Stamp river cameras and some look 3 times the size.
Maybe those are related to the size of net used in gill nets, only the big ones get caught? I really don't know though.
Do Sockeye return to the ocean sometimes?
The size of the fish is getting smaller and smaller The only thing that can escape the nets from the canal to the gauntlet of nets in the river is small fish DFO is creating a disaster here This run used to be over a million fish

The fish this year are small. They seem to be getting progressively smaller over the past 40 years.

Interesting sidenote that the test seine boat caught a 12 pound barracuda. I think this tells us that things are changing and the behaviour of specific runs like this are part of the change.
The only change is the fn are allowed to sell their fish

Here's a question: how quickly do sockeye move up the inlet? I've seen schools hang out in an area for an entire day, but I've seen entire reaches packed one day and empty the next.
Hoping for knowledgeable replies, and not guesses (I have plenty of those :)

Anybody have a report from this morning ? I'm thinking of towing my boat up once more tomorrow morning, hopefully get a few more sockeye before springs open back here in Nanaimo.

Edit: if not this morning, any reports from yesterday ?

Anybody have a report from this morning ? I'm thinking of towing my boat up once more tomorrow morning, hopefully get a few more sockeye before springs open back here in Nanaimo.

Edit: if not this morning, any reports from yesterday ?

Friend of just got back, blank yesterday and 3x on sat, slow for the last few days is what he seen

Sproat Cameras are still showing a steady amount of fish going through the tunnels. I have watched them a bit here and there and swear I have seen around 25+ Altantic's going up over the last two weeks, a bunch all at once. They are larger than most and have big spots, some even look ....bent? Tail pointing down.

Just a heads up that Gillnets open tonight inside the inlet. I believe they start at 5 pm and fish until tomorrow morning at 5 am. Use caution around these guys when navigating. If you run over their net you are responsible for repairs and lost fishing on their part.

Fishing?, those are completely different test fishery areas. The Albion test site is on the Fraser, for Fraser runs (primarily sockeye and Chinook) obviously. Wildman’s test fishery post is for the Somass sockeye (Great Central and Sproat stocks) with test fish sites in Barkley Sound and Alberni Inlet.

Cheers!

Ukee

I fished the Paper Mill Dam this morning and there were fish running up the river none stop but all the fish were small (4lb+-) Everyone (15+) fishing this morning got their limit in less than 2 hours. There were numerous nets in the river down stream but there were so many fish in the river lots got past.

The PA boat launch parking lot was packed and over flowing onto side streets.

DFO was checking people's licenses and fish at the Paper Mill Dam parking lot . I guess DFO are investigating a few locals who are going fishing 3 or 4 trips per day and getting their catch limit each time. Then running the fish home and then back to the river to get another two fish.

DFO was checking people's licenses and fish at the Paper Mill Dam parking lot . I guess DFO are investigating a few locals who are going fishing 3 or 4 trips per day and getting their catch limit each time. Then running the fish home and then back to the river to get another two fish.

Good..if guilty, throw the book at em

Just a heads up that Gillnets open tonight inside the inlet. I believe they start at 5 pm and fish until tomorrow morning at 5 am. Use caution around these guys when navigating. If you run over their net you are responsible for repairs and lost fishing on their part.

I just read the fishery notice...am I reading it right, is the opening going to be from right downtown all the way up to Pocohantas ??? So in other words they will be gill netting at lone tree and in front of china creek all night ???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back