Status
Not open for further replies.
communities asking people to stay away yet Will be very reliant on visitors at some point

I personally won’t hold any hard will against small community for making this choice .

Don’t take it personal

As restrictions are easing? There’s all this talk about reopening businesses and services over 4 phases within B.C. starting potentially next week. Not more closures. I’d understand if it was March 23 still. Is there more to this? Any sense for how long this will last? Couldn’t social distancing be managed pretty easily there? I feel for business owners. This will cause some serious economic issues to Gold River residents and shut down some Nootka Sound businesses. Man, the season is short up there. They’ve got 8 weeks a year. One bad year up there is a potential business killer.

I personally won’t hold any hard will against small community for making this choice .

Don’t take it personal
Good point, understanding still think the boat launches should all remain open, not saying any other services need to be offered. I kinda get it though, my family has stayed isolated until this week when we hit the water for the first time. The small communities are gonna have to get used to the new normal as they say though

More stuff opening in June and then moire in July so things can change fast just sucks because it makes it impossible to plan.

I really want to get over to the island and fish too and see family.

So here’s the problem with this closure at this time. A lot of people are on the fence about fishing Nootka this year already. It’s late now in the final planning cycle for people. This just creates a sense of complete uncertainty of what may happen in July. The optics aren’t good. People are going to cancel their plans. There are few options to up there to launch. I for one won’t be launching in Tahsis or any other place I need to travel 50 km on gravel or steep grade with logging trucks. I suspect I’m not alone. Just one mans view.

I have to decide if its feasible to run our boat to french creek then tow it to GR July 10, particularly if they close the launch. Ferries are starting up from horseshoe bay again and my trailer is being town over to pick me up in french creek but honestly the more I think about this the more concerned I get. I'm gonna speak with moutcha and see what solutions there are. Boat is 31' on the trailer so towing it to moutcha seems like a bad idea.
You are correct towing your boat to Moutcha is a bad idea. I have launched my small boat there a few times over the years and the 42k of sometimes marginal gravel road and very steep down hill into Moutcha made me change to Gold River. Just my experience.....

You are correct towing your boat to Moutcha is a bad idea. I have launched my small boat there a few times over the years and the 42k of sometimes marginal gravel road and very steep down hill into Moutcha made me change to Gold River. Just my experience.....

Yep that's not going to happen. At this point the options seem to be a) bail out for this season or b) rent on of their boats. B isnt viable.

So here’s the problem with this closure at this time. A lot of people are on the fence about fishing Nootka this year already. It’s late now in the final planning cycle for people. This just creates a sense of complete uncertainty of what may happen in July. The optics aren’t good. People are going to cancel their plans. There are few options to up there to launch. I for one won’t be launching in Tahsis or any other place I need to travel 50 km on gravel or steep grade with logging trucks. I suspect I’m not alone. Just one mans view.

Yup, I’ve pulled the plug on the whole idea for this year. It’s just to up in the air and for us it takes a lot of planning around work for 2 or 3 guys, too many variables. Unless something drastic changes our west coast trip is off for this year.

Disappointing cause the new public discussions from the premier and health officials is that they are hoping people will stay and travel within B.C. this summer as in instead of relying on U.S. and international visitors for tourism they are hoping to fill the void with our own residents.

This may be just for the may long weekend.. seems pretty late in the day to shut it down however. I've emailed moutcha to see if they have a plan b to launch or if they can develop an arrangement with the ramp operators...

This may be just for the may long weekend.. seems pretty late in the day to shut it down however. I've emailed moutcha to see if they have a plan b to launch or if they can develop an arrangement with the ramp operators...

Yes perhaps they are following the bc fishing and hunting guidelines. It’s been changed but it says to fish within your community. They did however remove the requirement to only fish with people in your household.

https://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/...-hunting/fishing-and-hunting-covid-19-updates

This is an absolute joke... there are no Americans coming, No people from out of province... phase two starts Tuesday, and now you close the launch? How does this make sense? We aren’t going to native reserves.. we are going to cabins or campgrounds.. fishing is our right, it’s permitted..plus BC is doing so well right now especially VI, so why now??

I have towed my boat for 10 plus years to Tahsis. They do a reasonable job of maintaining the road and you just have to go slow. Granted my boat is only a 22-foot. I have not done the road from Zeballos but did see a post earlier in this forum from @Port Eliza Fishing saying it's better than one might think. Just throwing forward some options for those considering a trip.

Not only is the launch closed, but the Police where out at Buttle Lake Narrows Bridge with a check point again yesterday. Posted on Facebook. There has been a sign just outside of Campbell River for a while now warning about Visitors

Yep that's not going to happen. At this point the options seem to be a) bail out for this season or b) rent on of their boats. B isnt viable.
c) motor from Port Alberni 130 miles. Ironically, you would pass over thousands of fish to get your 4 springs and a hali, but it's doable if you can get fuel in Tofino and Nootka.

Attachments

• Screenshot (6).png
    Screenshot (6).png
    1.1 MB · Views: 81
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back