Status
Not open for further replies.
I’m looking for a cabin to rent for 3 nights in Nootka Sound with a dock. 3 people. July 22-25. Anything available?
Look into critter cove. The cabins are right on the dock and central to most of the inside fishing spots in the sound.

I’ve been conversing via email with Moutcha Bay. I am thinking of maybe doing a trip out there this year. Was thinking of taking my 14 x 16 outfitters tent and set it up at the campsite. They do plan on being open but the campground will only be open to self contained RV’s as their shower buildings and washrooms will be closed. Not sure why that is as it would not be hard to keep clean and people can have their own disinfectant wipes on hand and wear shoes in the shower and what not. But at any rate, probably a government rule as Alberta camp grounds are the same this year. I sent a request back asking if I was able to set up my own facility using a shower shelter and porta potty all enclosed of course. I have quite extensive gear for camping as we set up a pretty sweet hunting camp for many years now. We will see what their response is.

I’ve been conversing via email with Moutcha Bay. I am thinking of maybe doing a trip out there this year. Was thinking of taking my 14 x 16 outfitters tent and set it up at the campsite. They do plan on being open but the campground will only be open to self contained RV’s as their shower buildings and washrooms will be closed. Not sure why that is as it would not be hard to keep clean and people can have their own disinfectant wipes on hand and wear shoes in the shower and what not. But at any rate, probably a government rule as Alberta camp grounds are the same this year. I sent a request back asking if I was able to set up my own facility using a shower shelter and porta potty all enclosed of course. I have quite extensive gear for camping as we set up a pretty sweet hunting camp for many years now. We will see what their response is.

Why not sleep on your boat at the dock? You can normally do that at Critter Cove. Not sure about Moutcha. I understand showering might be an issue, but your boat looks like it might have a fresh water wash down system.

Yes my boat is fully self contained. If it was a solo trip I probly would but with two guys for 5 or 6 days would get pretty tight and smelly I would think lol. I’ll see what they say about setting up the tent properly that would be much preferred.

Just got confirmation and it’s a no go for any tents regardless of set up.

no! That is devastating.

A copy of the reply after I asked about a tent set up with my own porta potty and enclosed shower set up. I explained it would be all neat and tidy and not some eye sore.

Unfortunately, we are not able to make any allowances on set-up and require facilities to be enclosed, all grey water contained in the unit and a hand washing station available. It sounds like you have a fantastic camp set-up and that is definitely a step in the right direction but we need to be very careful and minimize risks as much as possible. In order to do this we need to stick with our procedure. I hope you can understand, and that we can have you join us another time.

All the best,

Moutcha and others are all waiting to see if the border is going to open first, then if they can operate as a hotel. I think guided fishing is not going to happen. We are booked into one of the cabins at Moutcha and we are watching to see what happens. I would guess 50/50 even running our own rig. I don't want to put anyone at jeopardy as it is a hike for us to bring the boat to GR from the North Shore.

A copy of the reply after I asked about a tent set up with my own porta potty and enclosed shower set up. I explained it would be all neat and tidy and not some eye sore.

Unfortunately, we are not able to make any allowances on set-up and require facilities to be enclosed, all grey water contained in the unit and a hand washing station available. It sounds like you have a fantastic camp set-up and that is definitely a step in the right direction but we need to be very careful and minimize risks as much as possible. In order to do this we need to stick with our procedure. I hope you can understand, and that we can have you join us another time.

All the best,

you could try cougar creek, it has dock and camp ground, closer to the fishing and a closer run from gold river as well. If you roughing it and really self contained this may be a better option regardless.

All the best,

yea I immediately contacted them - confirmed this and then blasted out a generic email to campers or yurt bookings. Booked my group in the lodge so we’ll still be there July 23.
Thanks for the heads up!

I have to decide if its feasible to run our boat to french creek then tow it to GR July 10, particularly if they close the launch. Ferries are starting up from horseshoe bay again and my trailer is being town over to pick me up in french creek but honestly the more I think about this the more concerned I get. I'm gonna speak with moutcha and see what solutions there are. Boat is 31' on the trailer so towing it to moutcha seems like a bad idea.

Caught a bulletnose/Big River Spring on Thursday,guess I am a local so ramp was not an issue. DFO and RCMP are out this May Long Weekend so have your safety equipment up to date...lots of wind. caught on army truck anchovy , no flasher, one good long run,decent fight,lots of herring and squid around.

Attachments

• 3CB68D74-981E-4615-93AD-973CBD7D4624.jpeg
    3CB68D74-981E-4615-93AD-973CBD7D4624.jpeg
    421.7 KB · Views: 126
That’s to bad, I feel boat launches should stay open. Pretty low exposure from someone showing up launching the boat and parking. No one else in the community really needs to bothered, aside from if there an emergency on the water in which the coast Gaurd is already there working as well as dfo. I feel it’s getting to be a bit of a slippery slope, communities asking people to stay away yet Will be very reliant on visitors at some point

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back