Status
Not open for further replies.
Where is nearest place to Critter/Gold River to buy supplies? (Groceries and/or fishing gear.)

Thx.

Critter Cove has a limited supply of fishing gear and should you have any epic cannon ball failures etc they have that kinda stuff. but as mentioned you’re better off stocking up to be safe

Fished Nootka July 20-23 staying out of Critter Cove. Launched at Moutcha around 4:00. Road was excellent. Upon arrival saw fish at the cleaning station. Word was Camel had a good flood bite that day mid afternoon. Fished Camel that evening but came up blank. Tuesday hit Hoiss at first light. Got a 20 and a 10 before 8 am. Then quiet. Regrouped for the afternoon flood tide at Camel and got a 26 and 19. Did an evening fish but nada. Wednesday we had high hopes and got a Jack Spring at 6am. Dead after that. Ran to the lighthouse but came up blank. Afternoon flood we lost a few and got another smaller jack spring. Evening fish at Camel saw all boats get into fish but us. Bourbon was good that night. Thursday had lines in at 5:45 am and grabbed a 21 and 18 at Hoiss before 7:30. Afternoon flood at Camel produced another 18 for us and several long line releases. Amazing size to fish this year. Lots of hours on the chuck but excellent results compared to years past. Spoons and Flash Flies did the damage for us. Back in August!

D7624B00-8831-47D6-B3FD-0B61D2CEF514.jpeg DDCED672-292E-4BD3-BE2D-8B91F058C733.jpeg
DE89A6B8-D83C-4E52-B784-51572CD824D0.jpeg

A478A763-4CFD-440D-BBF7-14177B714139.jpeg

Tough sledding for our two boats. July 23-26.

Ended up with seven chinooks - great sizes 20-28 lbs, but few and far between for us. Seemed to be off until it wasn’t then off again. No consistency morning to morning or evening to evening. Wind was annoying but found some shelter and fished where it was calm. Saturday got into a 20 in Tahsis...we were just there to get out of the wind! Outside was strange- tea coloured water with loads of jellies. Wiping gear constantly, only saw one fish caught around Wash and Eagle the two mornings we were out there.

Did hear that camel picked up this am right after we pulled out to leave. Weather was calm and stunning of course the morning we leave...bet it was beauty outside around the corner from Maquinna.

few boats in general than other years without our US brethren. As always though Nootka doesn’t disappoint and is just a great place to be fish or no fish.

Launched at 3? pm Thursday afternoon in GR, limited in 1.5hrs at lighthouse 4:30 - 6pm...we went 4 for 5.
All on Anchovys except 1 was on 602 hootchie

Anchored up in Dollies cove and up at crack of 930am Friday, 1 more at lighthouse on bait, then in for lunch at Critter.
Nothing for us inside, but we didnt put much time fishing inside.
Back out to wash rk Saturday late in the morning, 1 spring and a lot of under size lings.
Didn't fish Saturday evening or Sunday morning
Home with 6 nice springs on our boat.
Heard it was very slow for most boats up there, I could see camel rock was busy in evenings ,heard guys getting tangled with others.

Just got back after another 12 day journey to Nootka. Stayed at Critter, can't say enough about Cam, Catherine and crew. Fishing was like a heart monitor, lots of highs and lots of slows. There was a great early morning bite out at Burdwood for 4 days, after 7:30 a.m. however your really had to work it over so it would give up some of it's goods. Fished Beano on a few occasions, definitely an early bite and then a few hours of searching. Maquinna came on around 8:30 on a few days in a row and was crazy non-stop ***** and giggles. Didn't really fish inside much as I am a little bit of a loner when it comes to crowds, however, if you put your time in at Camel, San Carlos or Hoiss and you hit the magical dinner bell you were well rewarded with a little gong show of sorts. Not as many boats out on the water, hopefully our American friends can join us again next year. Was lots of complaints however about the combat fishing @ Camel and San Carlos, I guess there is always a few that don't like to share, or head straight at someone with a fish on expecting to get one as well.
Skinny G's and Chovies were the tickets for our boat, white hootchies and flash flies were working on occasion for some of the other boats.
Hope to make it back one more time this year as the Coho were very sporadic and later in the trip non-existent.
Play safe everyone and remember, starboard rod to the rocks has the right of way for it's tack.
Cheers!

Just got back after another 12 day journey to Nootka. Stayed at Critter, can't say enough about Cam, Catherine and crew. Fishing was like a heart monitor, lots of highs and lots of slows. There was a great early morning bite out at Burdwood for 4 days, after 7:30 a.m. however your really had to work it over so it would give up some of it's goods. Fished Beano on a few occasions, definitely an early bite and then a few hours of searching. Maquinna came on around 8:30 on a few days in a row and was crazy non-stop ***** and giggles. Didn't really fish inside much as I am a little bit of a loner when it comes to crowds, however, if you put your time in at Camel, San Carlos or Hoiss and you hit the magical dinner bell you were well rewarded with a little gong show of sorts. Not as many boats out on the water, hopefully our American friends can join us again next year. Was lots of complaints however about the combat fishing @ Camel and San Carlos, I guess there is always a few that don't like to share, or head straight at someone with a fish on expecting to get one as well.
Skinny G's and Chovies were the tickets for our boat, white hootchies and flash flies were working on occasion for some of the other boats.
Hope to make it back one more time this year as the Coho were very sporadic and later in the trip non-existent.
Play safe everyone and remember, starboard rod to the rocks has the right of way for it's tack.
Cheers!
great reports guys, heading back on Friday for Round 2 of this year. Like you Itchy im a bit of a loner boat. But I still don't get people when see a fish on and have to continue on their path in the boats way. That being said.... the boat with fish on should try and walk the Salmon to open water to play it without stressing everyone out.

Just back from a weekend trip to Nootka. Stayed in Galliano Bay. Friday night fished camel and it was slow. Saw no one catching, marked lots of fish. Saturday morning we tried burdwood and although we got several shakers we didnt get anything of size. Since it was slow we did keep 2 that were around 7lbs. Afternoon we planned to fish inside but saw a pod of killer wales at hoiss, so we went over to three bay. Saw another pod of killer wales over there....... At this point we decided to go and fish Friendly for the night bite. Put in our time, saw a couple landed between the 15 or so boats, didnt get anything ourselves. Sunday morning picked one up along the wall on a coho killer. 20ft on the rigger and it was at first light. After that we went outside to try some whitefish. We got some white fish and came back in. Dealt with fish, had to search for some crab traps and found someone had run over them as we found a smashed up trap and knicked up rope about a mile away. That was annoying. We went back to camel rock as we had seen lots of fish on the sounder although they hadnt been biting. Since the wales were gone for 36 hours we figured it would get better. Sunday night we put 5 in the boat and lost 4 more. 55 -65ft deep on the little spoons. fish were stacked up everywhere just like the second week in august. Monday morning we got 3 more in the boat and lost a few more as well. We did have one cut off by another guy who wouldnt pull up his gear and was fishing up our azz. Overall weather was great, although it was nice to see the wales i wish i had seen them somewhere else. ended up with 11 springs on the weekend so figure that is a pretty decent trip. Back up in a week.

i don't see this mentioned much if not at all, has anyone tried jigging for Salmon and been successful in Nootka? I jig a lot off Nanaimo in the evening in the last hour of light. Going Friday for Round 2

i don't see this mentioned much if not at all, has anyone tried jigging for Salmon and been successful in Nootka? I jig a lot off Nanaimo in the evening in the last hour of light. Going Friday for Round 2
People do jig once and a while and it works, however the best spots to target often have lots of boats trolling so if you tried to jig you would screw everyone else up. I have seen a few people try and just pull up in a prime spot and start jigging. I think the things that are yelled at them usually deter them from staying long. I have gotten springs on zzingers at Camel Rock, it was late July though before the masses show up.

It can be a bit off and on but the Tahsis Inlet just North of Coopte is an awesome place to jig. Calm waters and nice scenery. You might even see a bear. Drop your anchor or drift in 80-120 Ft of water or less.

People do jig once and a while and it works, however the best spots to target often have lots of boats trolling so if you tried to jig you would screw everyone else up. I have seen a few people try and just pull up in a prime spot and start jigging. I think the things that are yelled at them usually deter them from staying long. I have gotten springs on zzingers at Camel Rock, it was late July though before the masses show up.
thanks guys for the replies.... much appreciated as always and I totally get what you mean about pitching a claim on a spot. I try and avoid crowds anyway, bit of a loner fisherman so to speak. I do think common courtesy between fellow fishermen should be rule # 1 in fishing. Although statistically impossible to prove and keep track etc does moving 50-100 feet by someone actually make that much of a difference?

I actually find jigging more relaxing than trolling to be honest

thanks guys for the replies.... much appreciated as always and I totally get what you mean about pitching a claim on a spot. I try and avoid crowds anyway, bit of a loner fisherman so to speak. I do think common courtesy between fellow fishermen should be rule # 1 in fishing. Although statistically impossible to prove and keep track etc does moving 50-100 feet by someone actually make that much of a difference?

I actually find jigging more relaxing than trolling to be honest

You'll find out(and not in a nice way) if you try to jig on the outside of a kelp bed in the midst of a 20 boat tack --say off the 2 points at Burwood or off the monument--both great for jigging but heavily trolled--bound to cause problems!!!

You'll find out(and not in a nice way) if you try to jig on the outside of a kelp bed in the midst of a 20 boat tack --say off the 2 points at Burwood or off the monument--both great for jigging but heavily trolled--bound to cause problems!!!
There are many productive kelp beds in Nootka. No need to jig where the crowds go.

Thanks Guys as well! I agree.... im mostly look for structure on the map where the tidal exchange may ball up bait. I.E. a pinnacle that creates a back eddy at 25-30 feet

Any suggestions on "general" location up there I would greatly appreciate it

Check your charts around Maquinna-lots of pinnacles with salmon-outside the main stroll of course-the bonus is you will catch a ton of bottom fish and lings. Along escalante point lots of places to jig where trolling is tough-(check regs). Not many people fish it because it is tough but excellent to move a boat in to jig

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back