Status
Not open for further replies.
Fishing for Chinooks in Esperanza has been excellent the past several days. The hot spot has been Ferrer, which has been loaded with fish. Unfortunately it closes at midnight tonight! There have been fish at other locations, but there hasn't been a lot of effort in any since Ferrer has been so consistent. As of tomorrow we will have to find other hot spots! Coho have been few and far between inshore. The offshore Chinook fishery opens tomorrow, with a 2 per day 80cm maximum size until July 31, we have been hearing reports of coho schools off shore. We will see soon.

Last edited:

Yes, Inside has now got activity. We've had luck at Coopte and Hoiss Point. Maquinna has been the most productive for us. Snotty seas today but the early a.m. produced well. Couldn't get off shore tho for Hali today due to winds. Lots of fish between Maquinna and Beano. Early, go them all before 0700. Things are back to normal. Weather has been great too.

What is the average weight in lbs for an 80cm Chinook? for the benefit of us old folks

?
I weighed one 79 and a 1/4" today and it was 13.2 lbs on a digi scale. And it was an average fish not too fat, not skinny.

**Edit note, fish was not from Nootka. From the east side Georgia North. Scale is a commercial digital that was calibrated. We compared it to a Rapala coil spring scale and the coil spring scale was 3 lbs over and incorrect.**

Last edited:
Nice to hear they are continuing to improve the ramp/parking situation in Gold River.
Wish the fishing was better for you guys, I'm headed up for our annual trip on the 24th
Heading up there on the 24th as well. Are you taking a ferry from Vancouver?

What is the average weight in lbs for an 80cm Chinook? for the benefit of us old folks

?
We were super lucky for the inside opening on Wednesday and caught 2 fish right on 80cm, one was 15lbs and one was 20 lbs which was an absolute foot ball of a fish, the 20 was like a unicorn I guess lol

We were super lucky for the inside opening on Wednesday and caught 2 fish right on 80cm, one was 15lbs and one was 20 lbs which was an absolute foot ball of a fish, the 20 was like a unicorn I guess lol

Please tell me you don't think the 80cm rule applies to inside waters!! The 80 cm rule only applies to seaward of the 1 mile off the surf line!!

No sorry was talking about Georgia straight, was just referring to the 80cm question
My mistake-thought you were referring to inside Nootka-gave me a heart attack to think a guy would boot a tyee just because of misreading overly complex regs!! Tight lines

That’s a good one, have seen it before lol. although I don’t always agree with the regs I follow them, that fish was 80 right on, shows the possible difference in weight for a certain length fish. That being said it was so close I did end up bringing it in to double check and if it was over it would have been a netted fish that had to be released. Don’t agree with the slot for this reason.

Reactions: RBL
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back