Status
Not open for further replies.
Just back after spending 5 days up at Nootka. Man, slow. Very slow. Never seen it so slow. I heard people were catching but I didn’t see much action and the cleaning station was not experiencing the usual action I’m accustomed to. We went multiple days without fish. Finally yesterday we picked up two decent Springs so maybe things are picking up. Tried all the usual spots sans luck; Escalante, Wash, Beano et al. I’m sure others produced some results, but most people I talked to experienced what we did. We may have been early. We stuck with what we know. Chovies at 39-50 ft. Back up Monday will report after that trip.

hmmm. no bueno. what was in their stomachs? heading there tomorrow for four days

hmmm. no bueno. what was in their stomachs? heading there tomorrow for four days

Our two fish had zero in them. We did see bait around at most of the usual spots. Lots of Grey whales feeding around the East side of Escalante so there must be feed up there. The weather btw was also the *****. Almost zero sun all week. Off and on rain. Then Saturday early a rain storm like the second coming. As usual though Critter Coves service was exceptional and made the trip all worth it. And one last point. The new parking lot at the Gold River launch is awesome.
0C13BD96-1894-4969-BFCF-896F9C4AF182.jpeg

Well just got back last night, weather was crappy cold and wet. Biggest fish from our group was a 28.9lb I got a 16 and 14.5lb. Fish have now moved inside at Coopte. Between us we nailed 5 there on Friday. All 47-55 ft bait and white hooches were the ticket. Out to Beano for three days spotty for the most of time, when bite was on it was first hour of light For us then spotty. Good luck to all heading up right now. Biggest fish caught by Dale. A9626F82-1351-406A-88C7-B610F696DD17.jpeg90975CEB-A1C3-4A40-8A31-EC9C23DE5574.jpeg

Well just got back last night, weather was crappy cold and wet. Biggest fish from our group was a 28.9lb I got a 16 and 14.5lb. Fish have now moved inside at Coopte. Between us we nailed 5 there on Friday. All 47-55 ft bait and white hooches were the ticket. Out to Beano for three days spotty for the most of time, when bite was on it was first hour of light For us then spotty. Good luck to all heading up right now. Biggest fish caught by Dale. View attachment 54741View attachment 54742
Thanks for the report. What depth of bottom were you working at Coopte? I am heading to Tahsis on Tuesday. We're heading out to Port Eliza for 3 nights on Wednesday morning, but might run out to Coopte on Tuesday afternoon/evening for a fish. What tide were you getting them on?

Well just got back last night, weather was crappy cold and wet. Biggest fish from our group was a 28.9lb I got a 16 and 14.5lb. Fish have now moved inside at Coopte. Between us we nailed 5 there on Friday. All 47-55 ft bait and white hooches were the ticket. Out to Beano for three days spotty for the most of time, when bite was on it was first hour of light For us then spotty. Good luck to all heading up right now. Biggest fish caught by Dale. View attachment 54741View attachment 54742
Nice fish!

Pescador summed it up for the past 4 days. No salmon outside, 1 fish for a 8 hour fish type of thing. we fished escalante and the lighthouse for salmon. Others were targeting Beano, with big boats and strong backs. Slow all around. The odd fish being hit on the inside last two days. 1 fish for 3-4 hours at the usual spots. Esperanza on fire apparently? So fish are staging there me thinks. Weather was wet and wild. Tons of fresh rain last 2 days. Back to NW winds this week, might get fish moving into shore again. Lings were hard to come by this trip which was strange. We put some time in. Slow trip all around. Will be back though. Still nice to get away.

Thanks for the reports, the fishing maybe slow but at least you guys are in Nootka. Seems like the fish maybe late or still off shore this year, should turn on anytime.
The parking lot looks pretty vacant, is the new lot across from the ramp? When I was up there last year talking with the lady in the trailer I thought that she had indicated that that is where the parking lot was going to be located.

Thanks for the reports, the fishing maybe slow but at least you guys are in Nootka. Seems like the fish maybe late or still off shore this year, should turn on anytime.
The parking lot looks pretty vacant, is the new lot across from the ramp? When I was up there last year talking with the lady in the trailer I thought that she had indicated that that is where the parking lot was going to be located.
The parking is across the street from the old lot. It’s well organized and partially paved.

Nice to hear they are continuing to improve the ramp/parking situation in Gold River.
Wish the fishing was better for you guys, I'm headed up for our annual trip on the 24th

Heard of some fish on the inside today by a friends dad. So perhaps some beginning to show. As said should turn on any day now...up to Moutcha on the 23rd. Fingers crossed for some decent weather! Can’t wait to get back to God’s country.

Great to see!!! I’m not familiar with Coopte, but it must be near Critter cove! Great jobs finding the fish on the inside. Heading to Moutcha bay on Friday....

Just got back from Nootka for our annual guys trip. Fished out of Moutcha Bay with three boats. Fishing was very slow which was a bummer for the derby but still managed to scrape up some fish. Bigger boats had some success at Beano when able to get outside but as said above, a quick first bite and then dead. We picked up a 18 and a 20 the first morning at Beano (one on chovy, one on white hootchie) then dead for the day trying lighthouse, birdwood and camel rock.
Saturday was a taste of true west coast weather for the boys. Good size swells and pouring rain until afternoon. Two boats took on the weather outside and were rewarded with early bite at Beano. Picked up a nice 27 and a few low teens right away but then quiet rest of day. Thanks to Sam at Moutcha who guided one of the boats (that caught the 27) that day last minute after our boat was not available. My boat’s fishing was dead all day until we lost a tyee right behind the boat after a 40 min fight at Camel. Exciting fight and thought we had the bottom on an inside turn until it started screaming line. Came up to look at us twice before taking off on the heaviest runs i have ever seen. Finally got him 20 ft off the stern where we got to see the size and he just shook that head side to side and sent that white glow hootchie flying back at us. We would have released the fish but it was pretty clear he had no intention of being someone’s trophy picture that day. Big fish are starting to show up and that was my first experience with a big fish inside at Nootka. Thats what we go there for... fishing 10m off the shore in glass calm waters and hooking into a hog.
Last day we were rewarded with calm seas and some afternoon sunshine. Guys picked up a 16 on the early bite at Beano and a few small keepers. Fishing cooled off until i nailed a 19 off Camel at 5pm. Same spot as the other big fish and same gear - white glow hootchie, silver betsy flasher at 77ft on rigger. Another of our boats lost a good fish at camel that day as well so they are moving in.

I spent two weeks before on the east side of the island at Hornby. Much colder weather and water than usual. Feels like summer is late so perhaps the fishing will pick up with the weather.

Slow fishing overall across the three boats and really had to grind it out. while we wished the fishing was better, the location is what we really go up there for. we saw whales, endless amounts of sea otters and fished beside several bears and cubs eating on the tidelines around the sound.

Cant say enough good things about Moutcha Bay itself. Great dock crew and helpful lodge staff. They have good measures in place for COVID which was appreciated. Will be back again next year and am already missing those views.

Tight Lines,
Dfrase

Hey all, heading to Critter Saturday for 4 days... I believe I'm correct in thinking that Beano, Maquinna and Wash Rocks are all fair game in Area 125-1 but inside the 1nm surfline area... can someone confirm that for me?

Hey all, heading to Critter Saturday for 4 days... I believe I'm correct in thinking that Beano, Maquinna and Wash Rocks are all fair game in Area 125-1 but inside the 1nm surfline area... can someone confirm that for me?

wash rock/eagle rock/yuquot etc are all in area 25-7.

correct about beano and along the beach to Maquinna being inside the 1nm

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back