2020 Nanoose Bay/French Creek Reports

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

Awesome fish and great picture. People have no clue how resilient these fish are, I cant even count how many fish ive caught that had healed wounds, cuts, chunks out of them and they were healthy as can be.
Catch and release can be done well - or not. Regardless of anecdotal reports, the scientific evidence is very clear: exhausting a fish increases mortality, removing fish from the water increases mortality, handling fish increases mortality. Be a good sportsman and do it right. Encourage others to do it right.

Catch and release can be done well - or not. Regardless of anecdotal reports, the scientific evidence is very clear: exhausting a fish increases mortality, removing fish from the water increases mortality, handling fish increases mortality. Be a good sportsman and do it right. Encourage others to do it right.
Foxsea lighten up a little, that fish was tailed From the swim grid without a net lifted for a couple photos and then put back to swim away. No need to make people feel like criminals

Good Grief...these reports threads are requiring way too much moderation these days. Pretty sure we had put this C&R debate to rest and a thread was started about it in the Conservation forum for further discussion. @dmurph, beautiful fish, and I am sure you don't pull everyone out of the water for a photo, but in today's fishery it looked like a pretty special catch. Nothing illegal about what you did and no further comment required here other than to say I hope you and others have more days on the water like that one in the future.

Brian

Fished FC yesterday afternoon from 4:30 to 7. First we tried in along Columbia Beach with no luck. We hooked one maybe 10lb spring trolling out deeper and then had steady action once we were set up at the humps. We hooked 4 springs in about an hour out there. One that was maybe 18-20 lbs, two that likely would have been keepers next week, 10-13 lbs, and one probably just under 62 cms. Exciting to see the big spring hit and take off, looking forward to getting back out there next week. No coho bites, two dogfish when we were trolling too slow.

Anybody been out lately ? Bit of a northwesterly predicted for the wednesday opener....trying to decide on French creek or Thrasher for Wednesday morning...thinking it will be to windy for fingers and entrance...

Awesome day for the opening Wednesday. Got out with the family later than I would have liked but was happy to just get out fishing. Weather report was for a strong wind warning but the Columbia cam was showing calm water so getting out late morning my expectations were to have the wind come up probably just as I arrived to launch lol. Ended up in the water about 1030 or just after and caught the tail end of the tide change, was happy to see flat water and parking for the trailer. Trolled inside the humps and out, very slow so missed the morning bite. Was super hot weather with slow fishing and seemed like wind was gonna stay down so went and anchored up for a swim with the boy. Hung out until about 230 and set back up trolling for the afternoon tide. Picked up 4 fish in pretty short time, had the first one hammer off the rigger and peeling out, took almost to backing, my eight year old played it perfectly and caught himself a unicorn lol a 20lber at exactly 80cm. Was an fish absolute football, hit on a chartreuse flasher and homeland security spoon. I got super lucky and picked up another 80cm fish that weighed in at 15 fell victim to a 6 inch blueish plug as did 2 other springs a 13 and 10. Pretty sweet afternoon troll, was running the plug around 180. E2A3EFBF-5A38-4E39-9AEA-CCEB42422837.jpeg

Awesome day for the opening Wednesday. Got out with the family later than I would have liked but was happy to just get out fishing. Weather report was for a strong wind warning but the Columbia cam was showing calm water so getting out late morning my expectations were to have the wind come up probably just as I arrived to launch lol. Ended up in the water about 1030 or just after and caught the tail end of the tide change, was happy to see flat water and parking for the trailer. Trolled inside the humps and out, very slow so missed the morning bite. Was super hot weather with slow fishing and seemed like wind was gonna stay down so went and anchored up for a swim with the boy. Hung out until about 230 and set back up trolling for the afternoon tide. Picked up 4 fish in pretty short time, had the first one hammer off the rigger and peeling out, took almost to backing, my eight year old played it perfectly and caught himself a unicorn lol a 20lber at exactly 80cm. Was an fish absolute football, hit on a chartreuse flasher and homeland security spoon. I got super lucky and picked up another 80cm fish that weighed in at 15 fell victim to a 6 inch blueish plug as did 2 other springs a 13 and 10. Pretty sweet afternoon troll, was running the plug around 180. View attachment 54856
Awesome stuff Dave...great report!

Snuck out tonight with a friend and joined the pack at the humps. We released one that was probably just legal and then trolled around without a bite for an hour and a half. We were about to pack it in around 7:30 and then the hootchie at 165’ hammered off and we got one that was 77cms , weighed 15#. Got the rods back down and got another on a hootchie at the same depth, just a bit smaller at 14#. Nice night out there and nice to keep a couple of fish.

Attachments

• F0F4CF1E-D34B-4605-84E2-51AAD900EA3F.jpeg
    F0F4CF1E-D34B-4605-84E2-51AAD900EA3F.jpeg
    274.1 KB · Views: 95
Snuck out tonight with a friend and joined the pack at the humps. We released one that was probably just legal and then trolled around without a bite for an hour and a half. We were about to pack it in around 7:30 and then the hootchie at 165’ hammered off and we got one that was 77cms , weighed 15#. Got the rods back down and got another on a hootchie at the same depth, just a bit smaller at 14#. Nice night out there and nice to keep a couple of fish.

Nice one Blake you were loading your boat right before us at the ramp, I thought I recognized you but wasnt sure, are you missing your sunds lodge days ;)?

Nice one Blake you were loading your boat right before us at the ramp, I thought I recognized you but wasnt sure, are you missing your sunds lodge days ;)?

Hey man, I definitely do miss fishing up there. I’ll send you a PM.

Is there any spots to fish around Nanoose that would be somewhat sheltered from this wind? I haven’t fished that area. Thinking I could launch out of Schooner Cove

Had a great evening last night, started a little slow but really picked up in the last couple hours of daylight ! We lost a few but ended up brining home 3 nice springs and 3 hatchery coho ! All fish including coho were caught on 6" 602 UV plugs and all down around 180ft.

.2020-07-18 20.22.00.jpg 2020-07-18 22.34.56.jpg 2020-07-18 20.42.03.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back