2020 Nanoose Bay/French Creek Reports

Status
Not open for further replies.
The wind! Boats moored Ready to go. Got one spring Friday, seems like the bite was slower but the weather was so hood

Last edited:
Well I got out with my wife for the evening bite and it was a bit slower than on the weekend but we had a good time. We released two undersized springs, two wild coho and kept one 12# spring . The spring was on a spackle back cuttlefish hootchie at 220 feet on the small hump.

Got out this morning around 645 , was the tail end of the 515 tide change so ran over to sangster to fish there. Set up off the north end just outside the rca and trolled towards the south end. Had a small fish lost and another missed hit off the north and then nothing all along the island down and around the south side, no bait. Picked up ran back to the humps and fished there until 11am and picked up one 5lbs coho. Pretty slow but did kinda miss both tides. Was marking lots off bait on the humps so was thinking the bite would turn on for the noon low, but couldn’t stay. The launch was a bit of a gong show trying to get out with the low tide and lots trying to get in. Been lots of people with questionable etiquette, people parked perpendicular to the staging blocking both ramps

Got out tonight for the night bite, launched around 6 and trolled from out front across the humps. Was a little disappointed with the sea state, was certainly a good roll out of the south east. Looked calm on the web cam and forecast was good was hardly any wind but was the type of sea that bothers me lol, thinking it must have been the big flood pushing against the slight breeze but was kinda strange, ocean pushing and rolling one way but the boat doesn’t want to troll that way. Was looking forward to the calm as I had the full family, wife , baby daughter and the boy. Plan was to do a nice evening troll and bbq but was to rough. Pulled the bbq out at like 845 when it calmed a bit. The humps were pretty barren for bait so went in tight and it was thick in there, picked up 2 nice springs just under 15 lbs on plugs a 6 inch tubby and a smaller herring aid one. Trolled into the night but no other good hits. 51EAA515-0296-4D7B-9167-6A13DA3A6D7E.jpeg

I have had luck fishing out of Scooner Cove out of the wind behind Gerald Is.
But be aware there are a couple of high spots.

Limit has changed to two a day now....but BOTH are still a max of 80cm ! Can anyone figure the logic behind that, cause I can't ?!?

Edit: It also says southeast of a line from flora islet light to the French Creek breakwater...so I guess out on the humps it's still only 1 a day

Last edited:
Flora Islet is right off the tip of Hornby, it's not any line on their area map....so I'm not so sure ?
Makes the humps illegal on my chart. Use Navionic chart viewer and plot a course between the two points. Humps are roughly a 1/4 mile inside the 1 limit zone. Not even close.

Limit has changed to two a day now....but BOTH are still a max of 80cm ! Can anyone figure the logic behind that, cause I can't ?!?

Edit: It also says southeast of a line from flora islet light to the French Creek breakwater...so I guess out on the humps it's still only 1 a day
I'm not seeing that in the notices. What areas does that refer to? I'm in Nanaimo, but checked area 14 as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back