2020 Haida Gwaii Reports

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not really relative to Haida Gwaii ... but follows in the thread.

I just heard that North King Lodge decided that without the US fishermen they won't be able to open for the 2020 season and will not be open this year. Interesting to note that they did find a way to prepare and serve "socially distant" meals (as with other restaurants/foodservice establishments throughout BC) and had a plan to get around the guide/fisherman
proximity issue ... they just couldn't do it without the US contingent.

They gave it a hell of a try and they are a great group of people ... fought to make it happen to the end.

Hats off to them.

Now time to look for options ...

-Northern

Hey man don’t know if we’ve officially met but I’ve been guiding past couple summers up there. Obliviously super bummed to hear about postponing/cancelling this summer. That’s my favourite place on earth and I’ll miss it big time this summer. Fantastic group of people is an understatement. Clint and Nigel are the best, unbelievable guys to work for. Thanks to awesome guests like yourself were gonna come back for a banner year summer of 2021 and make up for the lost time. Hope to see you up there then.

Thomas

I have been trying to follow the news on whats going on but since early may its been silent. Is Haidi Gwaii opening to the public? I don't use a chartered service but rather fish out of a local campsite? Any clarity on the current situation would be appreciated.

By the looks of the border staying closed until a review end of July there should be some fire sales if the lodges do open. Wouldn't be surprised if they stay shut for the season. Peregrine will not be opening in part to uncertainty and because of the local Haida not wanting visitors in, respecting their wishes to prevent future issues with both fishing and logging I would suspect. Will be some tough times for the lodges up and down the coast.

By the looks of the border staying closed until a review end of July there should be some fire sales if the lodges do open. Wouldn't be surprised if they stay shut for the season. Peregrine will not be opening in part to uncertainty and because of the local Haida not wanting visitors in, respecting their wishes to prevent future issues with both fishing and logging I would suspect. Will be some tough times for the lodges up and down the coast.

Sad, but true

Spoke with them Wednesday and it sounds like they are ready to go under Phase 3 with a good plan for going through Masset without entering the airport but it all needs to be cleared by the Haida Nation which seems reasonable. They thought they'd have a better idea next week. We are scheduled to be up there July 18 so fingers crossed.

Spoke with them Wednesday and it sounds like they are ready to go under Phase 3 with a good plan for going through Masset without entering the airport but it all needs to be cleared by the Haida Nation which seems reasonable. They thought they'd have a better idea next week. We are scheduled to be up there July 18 so fingers crossed.
Thanks see you there

Luxury fishing lodge plans to reopen despite Haida Nation’s COVID-19 precautions
https://bc.ctvnews.ca/luxury-fishin...haida-nation-s-covid-19-precautions-1.5011654

VANCOUVER -- Haida Nation members have delivered letters to several fishing lodges that operate on Haida Gwaii, asking them to observe the current state of emergency declared by the nation and not open to visitors.

But one lodge operator is adamant the business will reopen on July 10.

Donald Edgars, a Haida chief councillor for Old Massett, said community members decided to go out for a day of fishing Saturday and deliver the letters, after hearing that Queen Charlotte Lodge had been bringing in workers and appeared to be preparing to reopen......

Just an observation of the facts ...

If QCL is flying directly from the mainland to the lodge without stopping at any other airport and are
45 KM from any Haida Gwaii community - and - are in full compliance with the BC Government COVID
requirements then ...

Why would the Natives have any say about this.

There is NO transmission possible between fishermen and the Natives given the above facts ...

I suspect this is not about COVID it's about someone other than Natives fishing on crown waters ...

-Northern

You fly to Masset from YVR south terminal and then wait 2 hours in a packed waiting room before being crammed 16 people at a time into a helicopter. I think the Haida have more than valid concerns.
We canceled our Langara trip this year as did not see how social distancing could be done properly or safely.

To play “Devils advocate” - as Haida Gwaii is unceded land/territory and no treaty exists between the Haida and either BC or Canada, why would BC’s Covid requirements trump the Haida Government’s Covid requirements? Also, given the history of disease introduced to small isolated Indigenous settlements through colonialism, can we really blame those communities from erring on the side of caution? Given the uptick in cases just south of the border and all the cases popping up amongst the major sports despite their diligence to isolate and employ the best protocols, I can appreciate that small communities, with many elders in the high-risk categories and in an area with low health-care capacity may want to be overly cautious with their re-opening plans.

Fishing will still be there once there is a vaccine or herd immunity.

Cheers!

Ukee

Sir Reel ... you are correct - historically. I have done the trip.

This year though there was no stop in Massett and no interaction with any HG people as stated above and in the article so
with that info there is no risk of transmission to the people. No QCL guests will interact at all with any Haida Gwaii people
this way.

Ukee ... I agree with you ... if - you physically step foot on the ground and interact with the HG people, but in this case
the nearest community is 45 KM by air or sea (as stated in the article) ... so with that info, there is no risk to them.

Hence, the wonder as to why they would feel at risk ... the "old" way (Van, Masset, Lodge) maybe, but this way with no
interaction - no risk.

Some would speculate if it's a "useage of the resources" thing around their land vs in this specific case given the new approach
a COVID thing.

In the article - both articles they reference flying directly to the lodge from the mainland .. I assume Prince Rupert.

By doing so they avoid the middle step - the touchdown in Massett and avoid interacting with the HG.

If they are not stopping or have anything to do with the community then what benefit at they providing to the community.

It’s funny that they claim they provide all these economic benefits to communities and then Claim they can do it all and ignore them.

Why risk the fight with the people that hold veto rights to your foreshore lease.

My post was not to debate whether or not lodges and sport fishermen add value or inject revenue to the community or create jobs or buy from local artisans etc - thats a conversation for another post if you like and I am sure lodges and fishing groups would have an opinion on that topic ...

I was just commenting that if fishermen fly directly to the lodge without any stop or contact whatsoever with Haida Gwaii people then there is absolutely no risk of them
catching it - which is the premise of their protest from my understanding.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back