2020 Haida Gwaii Reports

Status
Not open for further replies.
One thought. - Chances are if there is a major emergency (guest medical emergency, fire or other requiring immediate assistance - all have and do happen) they aren’t going to wait for assistance from Rupert and will need help from Masset or Charlotte. Strong blow on the Hecate, fog etc. if they aren’t welcome they aren’t welcome. The Haida are already trying to push out the lodge industry...this kinda stuff only helps their case.

I know for a fact that there are food/supply deliveries from Massett to the lodges, so interaction exists.

Does not seem like a prudent business decision if considering the “long-view” of operating a resort on Haida Gwaii but, like all things, time will tell whether or not QCL is making the right call on this issue.

Cheers!

Ukee

I read on the Haida Gwaii Chief's social media ... someone commented that QCL has a 100 year lease on the land (not sure where they are
in the 100 year lease) so that probably feeds into their decision.

Good on both QCL and West Coast Fishing Club for standing up for their business and employees and defying this latest FN idiocy. As Ziggy says, this is all about control and has nothing to do with the public health of FN or anyone else living on Haida Gwaii. If the FN concern of the health of their members was really the issue, then I would suggest that trying to ram other boats on the ocean is perhaps a high risk activity - check out the video.

It is the "give in " attitude of our and the Federal Government's response to anything FN related that has created many of the problems we are now facing in the fishery on the West Coast.

Good on both QCL and West Coast Fishing Club for standing up for their business and employees and defying this latest FN idiocy. As Ziggy says, this is all about control and has nothing to do with the public health of FN or anyone else living on Haida Gwaii. If the FN concern of the health of their members was really the issue, then I would suggest that trying to ram other boats on the ocean is perhaps a high risk activity - check out the video.

It is the "give in " attitude of our and the Federal Government's response to anything FN related that has created many of the problems we are now facing in the fishery on the West Coast.

Where can i find the video? The only one i have seen just shows the QCL boats driving by at a safe distance, none of the conflict claimed by either side. I have a trip planned for later in the summer so I am happy to hear that everything should be a go

If the lodge does not back down this grudge will go on for years. This is a fight they cannot win.

As much as it is all bs I don’t see this ending well for the lodge especially in an area where fist nations actually govern and hold a lot of power.

Yeah, it seems like the lodge has a lot to lose in this battle.

What do you do?
Acquiesce? That has worked very well for anyone dealing with DFO/FN. /sarcasm/

That being said, I checked out the video Aces posted, no ramming or anything, but that was a long line of boats, I think the article mentions 40.
If they are all from one lodge, that is impressive. I have never been up there during lodge season, so have no idea as to boat numbers.

As for the complaints that the lodge boats were heading straight for the seaweed pickers, that was not evident in the video at all.
It took quite awhile for the wake of the first boats to reach the boat filming, and the waves did not seem to bother them at all.

What do you do?

Its hard to comment on that because I am not that familiar with the levels of goverment up there and who holds what power where and who has jurisdiction over where the lodge is located.

All i know is that the Haida are not one to mess with. How will this end if it goes to court?

The key point that everyone is missing is ...

The HG claim that this lodge opening will expose them and their elders to COVID and use this as THE premise
to ask QCL to shut down.

It's been stated and proven that by flying directly from Rupert to the lodge not a single HG will be interacted with
as the lodge is 45 km from a single person.

So ... the issue of COVID transmission to the natives is now not an issue ...

This unpacks the real issue ... not COVID but the HG's disinterest in having QCL operate a legal and approved
business of fishing.

With a 100 year lease that's lawful and following all Health Canada regulations I don't an issue with the lodges
moving forward apart from the HG's disinterest in having anyone fishing in "their" waters.

What are they taking to court?
I am not aware of the courts enforcing a FN health order.

I take it that they are making a stand, they are screwed either way.
I hope the lodge is not taking comfort in the 9 year lease, look what happened at Musqueam reserve with the leasors there.
Courts did not like that and big payday for Musqueam FN. I note the leaseholders have done better lately:
https://vancouversun.com/news/local...rve-lands-who-were-facing-huge-rent-increases

The key point that everyone is missing is ...

The HG claim that this lodge opening will expose them and their elders to COVID and use this as THE premise
to ask QCL to shut down.

It's been stated and proven that by flying directly from Rupert to the lodge not a single HG will be interacted with
as the lodge is 45 km from a single person.

So ... the issue of COVID transmission to the natives is now not an issue ...

This unpacks the real issue ... not COVID but the HG's disinterest in having QCL operate a legal and approved
business of fishing.

With a 100 year lease that's lawful and following all Health Canada regulations I don't an issue with the lodges
moving forward apart from the HG's disinterest in having anyone fishing in "their" waters.

I get what you are saying, it is logical.
You are not getting that logic has no place when dealing with FN or DFO.
That does not make the FN and DFO right, that is just the way they go.

Wow. Glad I’m not one of those guests. Looks pretty bad on QCL despite all the work I’m sure they’ve done to make it as safe as possible and operate within the COVID rules. I wonder if they warned the guests to expect confrontation at the airports and not to engage...seems like it was foreseeable.

I cannot believe that video ... seriously, there are sooo many holes in his commentary.

It's illegal? By who's law ... last time I checked the only law in Canada is Canadian Law ...

They are flying over HG and directly to the lodge so there is ZERO chance of infecting his "elders and babies".

Gong Show was correct ... logic has no place in their minds.

In summary, in this case, with the direct flights ... they are hiding behind COVID when the real reason they
are protesting is that they don't want anyone fishing in their "territory".

Crazy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back