2020 Gulf Island Reports

Status
Not open for further replies.
Heading up to Galiano for a few days at the end of the week and would like to try inside the islands for springs or coho. Fished the outside of polier plenty but not never really inside and was hoping to get some basic tacks to show the girlfriend the islands a bit whilst fishing :cool: Thrasher will be hit one of the days but some closer spots to Montague harbour would be appreciated for a night bite or early am. Cheers

Tent island was good a couple weeks ago lots of action at 90’ and 65’ on the riggers but most fish were only 5 to 10 lbs

Heading up to Galiano for a few days at the end of the week and would like to try inside the islands for springs or coho. Fished the outside of polier plenty but not never really inside and was hoping to get some basic tacks to show the girlfriend the islands a bit whilst fishing :cool: Thrasher will be hit one of the days but some closer spots to Montague harbour would be appreciated for a night bite or early am. Cheers
Most of that inside waters are closed for chinooks. I suggest you get acquainted with the Regulations mapping on the DFO site To save yourself some problems or fines

Most of that inside waters are closed for chinooks. I suggest you get acquainted with the Regulations mapping on the DFO site To save yourself some problems or fines

I am well acquainted with the regs. 17-1 17-2 and 17-3 look to be open for slot to me and the restrictions on the ladder are non-retention not closed from what I can tell so thanks for the input I guess?

I am well acquainted with the regs. 17-1 17-2 and 17-3 look to be open for slot to me and the restrictions on the ladder are non-retention not closed from what I can tell so thanks for the input I guess?
Well then thats great.
There’s a lot of people around here that don’t have a clue. One of the fish cops told that he’s writing a lot a tickets

Well then thats great.
There’s a lot of people around here that don’t have a clue. One of the fish cops told that he’s writing a lot a tickets
I'm not surprised. Even if you look at the regulations the information isn't easy to find or updated on time.

Aces, please let us know if you found any coho or Chinook inside. Looking to put in at Crofton one of the weekend days and somewhere inside would be great; last couple times I made the trip out to Thrasher my young co-fisher got seasick pretty quick ;). We tried to fish along the south side of Valdez on the way home each time and although it was nice and sheltered the fishing was very slow. Only a couple of undersized springs with nothing in between for hours of effort.

Aces, please let us know if you found any coho or Chinook inside. Looking to put in at Crofton one of the weekend days and somewhere inside would be great; last couple times I made the trip out to Thrasher my young co-fisher got seasick pretty quick ;). We tried to fish along the south side of Valdez on the way home each time and although it was nice and sheltered the fishing was very slow. Only a couple of undersized springs with nothing in between for hours of effort.
Unfortunately I’m not doing that great these days on Chinooks that are above the minimum size abc when I do they are longer than the slot. Seems coho are more abundant. Got 4 hatcheries last Friday but not Tuesday afternoon, fishing the Fingers
Get to watch Unreel put on a clinic

You need an enigma machine to decode the Gulf Island fishing regs. Are they intentionally made to be this complicated?

We fished Active Pass (east entrance) on Sunday morning at low slack. Six boats were fishing there and I saw one nice fish get pulled in. Nothing for us. We were using glow hoochies with green flashers... so don't use glow hoochies with green flashers.

Anyone seeing success in the southern Gulf Islands?

Ya, I probably saw you out there as I did see a handful of boats. I was cruising through the pass to do some lingcod fishing that day but it was nice to see some boats around. Back in the 80's there would be dozens of boats fishing inside Active... most of them mooching. It seems the fish (and herring) aren't holding in there like they used to but nice to see a few guys having a go.

You need an enigma machine to decode the Gulf Island fishing regs. Are they intentionally made to be this complicated?

We fished Active Pass (east entrance) on Sunday morning at low slack. Six boats were fishing there and I saw one nice fish get pulled in. Nothing for us. We were using glow hoochies with green flashers... so don't use glow hoochies with green flashers.

Anyone seeing success in the southern Gulf Islands?

Boat was out of action for a few months, but finally got her set and in the water last week. Was trolling on an evening date with the wife around Maxwell Point and hooked a nice ~12# chinook!
8:00pm - 100ft deep using a homeland security spoon behind a green flasher. The fish was released at the side and sent on its way (to Cowichan I hope!).

Tried tent island (north reef) the next morning and had to pick up and leave - too much weed in the water. Got stopped and questioned by the DFO for the first time ever. Nice to see them out enforcing the crooked regulations they have in place right now.

This thread is as slow as the Gulf Islands fishing.

Heading out this weekend to the southern islands. Any recent reports anyone?

Want to check on Area 18-2. From my reading of the regs. all of 18.2 is open to fishing and retention including to the East of a line between Helen Pt. and Enterprise Reef. Have I got this right?

Want to check on Area 18-2. From my reading of the regs. all of 18.2 is open to fishing and retention including to the East of a line between Helen Pt. and Enterprise Reef. Have I got this right?

yup. Just check the killer whale and rock fish zones and you’re good to go. DFO has been around. Got checked today.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back