2020 Gulf Island Reports

Status
Not open for further replies.
Found my coho. Active pass 30 on the rigger. Headed to the bbq.
Nice. I’ve never trolled in there. I guess you plan to hit the slack current? Or does it matter? I’m waiting for aug 01 to try moresby or south of bedwell. Haven’t trolled anywhere since March but maybe I’ll try active.. are you generally on the outside near the green can or do you troll right inside the pass itself?

Nice. I’ve never trolled in there. I guess you plan to hit the slack current? Or does it matter? I’m waiting for aug 01 to try moresby or south of bedwell. Haven’t trolled anywhere since March but maybe I’ll try active.. are you generally on the outside near the green can or do you troll right inside the pass itself?
I try all over usually more east end than west. I try to hit high slack but it doesn’t seem to really matter - I just try to find pools where the current pulls the bait in. That’s where
I would be if I was a fish.

Be out today and tomorrow. Hopefully, have some luck. It hasn’t been productive around here,but our area is OVER REGULATED . Maybe I need to switch it up.

Cheers everyone and good to finally have an opportunity

Tried fairfax yesterday for the morning low until the fog then the evening high. Not a sniff. Tried hootchies and spoons from the surface to the bottom. A few others around but I didn’t see any nets out.

Lots of boats fishing the chinook closure outside of Porlier. I suppose one must assume they were chasing coho and pinks but my experience there says that your catching ten springs for every one of the other species. Had a first timer on the boat and he was tickled to be catching greenling and flounder on a little buzz bomb. He reeled in a dogfish on a herring after it had been on the line for quite a while I assume as the line was frayed for 10 feet above the lure. He was super excited to have caught a SHARK! Tide starting picking speeding up so we pulled into a cove and tried jigging with a buzzbomb again. Hooked into what we thought was a decent spring as after a strong run there was a decent flash of silver on the surface. This was followed by some loud screaming honks and we realised we'd hooked into a baby seal. It sounded so sad. It's mother followed it for about 5 minutes but backed off after it got close to the boat. It did one more big run before getting tired (or giving up?) and we got it beside the boat. We managed to get the hooks out of its face and set it free. Pretty crazy experience. I've dealt with a few seals taking fish but this one just straight up ate the lure. I doubt this little guy will be feasting on buzz bombs anymore.

My app shows 29-5 (porlier) open for springs? Please correct me if I'm wrong?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200805-152110_FishingBC.jpg
    Screenshot_20200805-152110_FishingBC.jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 30
My app shows 29-5 (porlier) open for springs? Please correct me if I'm wrong?

A portion of 29-5 is open. Snap a line from the southern tip of Valdes over towards Gibsons, and stay north of that. Keep out of the RCA near Valdes. - Look up Fisheries Notice #0673; Southern Strait of Georgia is closed to all chinook fishing.

Sadly I don't have a fish report.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back