2020 Gulf Island Reports

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good day out of Cowichan Bay yesterday. My first keeper lingcod (74 cm) will make some tasty fish n chips tonight. 28 bbq'd prawns last night, soaked two traps. One had 12 in 30 minutes the other 16 after 2 hours. Should have stuck with the first spot. Some sole and a rock fish to round out the day. Good day on ocean.jpg bbq prawn.jpg

Was out last weekend again, got a couple bottom dwellers, tons of bait balls 20-60’ deep was tempted to throw down the trolling gear but with non-retention and kids with me, I took a pass. I did get a second hand report of a 4-hour Sunday trip where 2 guys got quite a few springs between green can 47 and gossip island. That is smack dab in the middle of an RCA! (Which I informed them) but hey at least the fish are out there.... probably going to hold at Salamanca before crossing. Can’t wait til Aug 1
Prawning has been real slow for me but others say it’s great. My Navy Channel spots are not producing... did that area get hammered hard commercially this year?...
Commercial guys don’t open until next week

Commercial guys don’t open until next week
I've seen them out ahead of time fishing on their rec licenses scouting. Or that's what I'm told they were doing.

Lots of nice boats out fishing east entrance to active pass. Tried yesterday for a half hour but ran into too much current. Might try again next slack

Tough weekend fishing for us, hit Thrasher both days only the odd small spring. Tried Poilier yesterday as well, current was ripping and all I managed to do there was donate a cannon ball to the bottom. Ran down to retrieve my prawn traps in Navy channel and it was ripping so hard in there even the Commercial Scotchman's were nearly under water. I run enough weight in them I wasn't too worried about them moving but my floats definitely would have been under water. I had some one look for them this morning and they didn't have any luck. My floats are too large "bullet" style, one with the traditional red and white and the other is yellow. My last name and phone number is clearly marked in the white if anyone happens to see them. Going to run over next weekend and have another look.

Tough weekend fishing for us, hit Thrasher both days only the odd small spring. Tried Poilier yesterday as well, current was ripping and all I managed to do there was donate a cannon ball to the bottom. Ran down to retrieve my prawn traps in Navy channel and it was ripping so hard in there even the Commercial Scotchman's were nearly under water. I run enough weight in them I wasn't too worried about them moving but my floats definitely would have been under water. I had some one look for them this morning and they didn't have any luck. My floats are too large "bullet" style, one with the traditional red and white and the other is yellow. My last name and phone number is clearly marked in the white if anyone happens to see them. Going to run over next weekend and have another look.
Someone has found them! Saved myself $500

Wanted to get out the next couple days, but looks like wind is gonna be a problem for me launching the boat. Anyone been out fishing recently?

Had a nice couple lingcod last weekend at galiano (what's a guy to do with no spring retention?) on the outside of galiano just outside some of the RCA's. Coincidentally just got this "Galiano RCA survey" emailed to me today and filled it out. If you fish around Galiano you should fill it out. The conservancy provides all of the signage about RCA's at Galiano marinas and docks, etc and they need feedback to inform what else they can do to educate people. As many know there are several 'regular' offenders who fish within RCA's. Perhaps better education would help them... or just continue to call DFO's record and report hotline :)

Galiano Rockfish Conservation Area Survey -> https://galianoconservancy.ca/survey/

Been along time since I haven’t directed my fishing efforts at Chinook on our annual gulf islands trip.
With no retention I didn’t want to feed a seal or hurt one needlessly. So, took the kids bottom fishing for two slack tides.
High slack very near but outside the RCA around Horda Shoal, non stop action of rockfish, quillbacks, dogfish and two undersized Lings. Was great seeing the look on their faces as they felt the bites :)
Low slack near Collinson Pt, same result with the added bonus of a 15ish lb Ling that fed a a bunch of people.
Look forward to Chinook opening.

Hit Thrasher mid afternoon today. Basically no boats. Waves were significant but died down around 4 pm. Not many bites though, only 2 undersized Chinooks at 130ft. No Coho bites on the shallow rods, unfortunately. Any other good depths anyone is finding these days there?

BTW, DFO plane was flying overhead, presumably to see of anyone was south of the Thrasher to Gower Point line.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back