2020 Gulf Island Reports

Status
Not open for further replies.
Non stop C&R action near Salamanca today. 3 in the high teens. Lots of killer whales around, but a beauty day on the water. 130’ and 150’ on the downriggers. Herring aid and outfitter skinny G’s, pretty even each matchup.

Great couple days in the SGI to spend on the water with the old man... beauty weather, a few keeper lings & encouragingly, released about 8-10 just under lings (60-65cm). Good sign, given that the past 2 yrs now more guys are fishing my honey holes. Prob in part ‘cause of the Chinook non-retention. I did try trolling Salamanca for a couple hours, all I got was about 6 hook-ups with a clump of sea junk :mad: Anyways, I had the dashcam going above water and the GoFishCam below... a bit tedious but got some great footage of the bottom fishing. Stay tuned I’ll post when I get around to it... I have to edit it out good so ya don’t know my spots ;)
As promised...

Wow, love the vid... Paired great with my morning coffee! Thanks for sharing... I'm new to Ling fishing - I saw the banana weight, but is that lure weighted too?
Yes it’s got a 3-4oz built into the head of it. Usually I use a 12oz banana weight and a herring below it... but the weighted jig helped keep a good straight line for better camera footage (weight, 3’ line, camera, 3’ line, jig)

I'm a sucker for punishment, and one of my goals this year is to catch anything inside active pass. Drifted a couple passes tonight and didn't catch a thing, nor see anything on the sounder. But figure if the whales come thru there there must be something. Trying to figure out the back trolling thing, figure thats the key to success,

I'm a sucker for punishment, and one of my goals this year is to catch anything inside active pass. Drifted a couple passes tonight and didn't catch a thing, nor see anything on the sounder. But figure if the whales come thru there there must be something. Trying to figure out the back trolling thing, figure thats the key to success,
We got into a few springs during the Galiano derby last year. First time ever fishing it.

There are fish there, I grew up fishing active pass. Not a lot of springs but I’ve got them right in Miners Bay. Seen guys back trolling Mary point off galiano, gonna give that a shot this year. As for bottom fishing, I’m a bit more guarded on my ling holes but there are some, you have to work for them. I find them quite tide dependant and be prepared to lose gear until you know the reefs etc, it can rip 5-6knots thru there.

Last edited:
Use to run over from tsawaasen way back, followed the ferry, had some killer days motor mooching in the pass.

Spent a couple of hours yesterday fishing the afternoon tide at Collinson Pt. A fair bit of feed but had only 1 swing and miss, on the retrieve right at the surface. Tried to fish Salamanca but a little too much rock and roll.

As others have said, definitely fish in there and on both sides of it. (There is an RCA on the Georgia straight side to be aware of) but I have caught fish all over in there. As mentioned be ready to lose some gear. I fish alone a lot and the bottom is owner to a few of my cannon balls.

Fished Thrasher Rock yesterday 8 fish to the boat the largest being mid-teens missed at least a half a dozen it was a little bit rock and roll so wasn't able to get any lings overall it was outstanding glad we made the run across in the morning it was great tried Bowen on the way home not a sniff nothing on the Sounder

Was out last weekend again, got a couple bottom dwellers, tons of bait balls 20-60’ deep was tempted to throw down the trolling gear but with non-retention and kids with me, I took a pass. I did get a second hand report of a 4-hour Sunday trip where 2 guys got quite a few springs between green can 47 and gossip island. That is smack dab in the middle of an RCA! (Which I informed them) but hey at least the fish are out there.... probably going to hold at Salamanca before crossing. Can’t wait til Aug 1
Prawning has been real slow for me but others say it’s great. My Navy Channel spots are not producing... did that area get hammered hard commercially this year?...

Last edited:
Was out last weekend again, got a couple lings in active pass, tons of bait balls 20-60’ deep was tempted to throw down the trolling gear but with non-retention and kids with me, I took a pass. I did get a second hand report of a 4-hour Sunday trip where 2 guys got quite a few springs between green can 47 and gossip island. That is smack dab in the middle of an RCA! (Which I informed them) but hey at least the fish are out there.... probably going to hold at Salamanca before crossing. Can’t wait til Aug 1
Prawning has been real slow for me but others say it’s great. My Navy Channel spots are not producing... did that area get hammered hard commercially this year?...
Prawning in Navy Channel has been excellent this year. I only fish two traps and every day I have set them I have gotten a limit. Try moving around.

Prawning in Navy Channel has been excellent this year. I only fish two traps and every day I have set them I have gotten a limit. Try moving around.
Thx, good to hear. Either that or my traps got robbed... but they looked undisturbed and were right on my mark. Anyways I’m ok with a bit of bad luck, that’s just fishing. Thx for the info

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back