2020 Gulf Island Reports

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have been fishing Booth Bay and Tent Island (North Reef - inside and outside) regularly the last 3 weeks (always see boats in those places trolling). I usually have my gear between 90' and 150' keeping it close to the bottom. No luck at all! Using spoons of all sorts mostly. Some bait balls here and there showing up. Unfortunately, my sessions are usually no more than an hour, having an infant on board - but better that than no fishing at all..... anyone had any luck, or have any tips? Either way, the prawning and crabbing has been fantastic.

I have been fishing Booth Bay and Tent Island (North Reef - inside and outside) regularly the last 3 weeks (always see boats in those places trolling). I usually have my gear between 90' and 150' keeping it close to the bottom. No luck at all! Using spoons of all sorts mostly. Some bait balls here and there showing up. Unfortunately, my sessions are usually no more than an hour, having an infant on board - but better that than no fishing at all..... anyone had any luck, or have any tips? Either way, the prawning and crabbing has been fantastic.
I’ve wondered this before. Always seen people trolling tent and have tried a few times before. Mostly in the spring. Never seen a rod pump or a net out. If anyone has tips but would prefer to PM please do

I’ve wondered this before. Always seen people trolling tent and have tried a few times before. Mostly in the spring. Never seen a rod pump or a net out. If anyone has tips but would prefer to PM please do
Some days the fish are there and some days they aren’t. Mostly feeders your catching there. If your not seeing bait and not getting hits move along. Lots of good places to fish in the general area

Went out of Crofton today. Buddy and his Dad on his boat and me on my boat, cuz I'm good company all by myself and I'm not quite ready to share a boat yet. We did raft up a bit though. Tried Tent and a couple of other places for ling without much luck, my buddy says "no one fishes for hali here, but there has to be some, I have a spot I have been looking at." 20lbish chicken for him and a good hit that didn't stick for me. It was a beautiful day on the water

Attachments

• IMG_2006.jpg
    IMG_2006.jpg
    81.6 KB · Views: 253
Went out of Crofton today. Buddy and his Dad on his boat and me on my boat, cuz I'm good company all by myself and I'm not quite ready to share a boat yet. We did raft up a bit though. Tried Tent and a couple of other places for ling without much luck, my buddy says "no one fishes for hali here, but there has to be some, I have a spot I have been looking at." 20lbish chicken for him and a good hit that didn't stick for me. It was a beautiful day on the water
The picture was right side up when I posted it, now it looks like we were in Australia.

All the Victoria halibut must have moved up to thrasher lol

When you're taking the picture hold your phone with the home button to the right side...then the pics will be upright. Any other orientation of the phone will result in sideways or upside down pics.
Yet another plot against the left handed.

Great couple days in the SGI to spend on the water with the old man... beauty weather, a couple keeper lings and a bunch of undersized which is always a good sign. I did try trolling Salamanca for a couple hours, all I got was about 6 hook-ups with a clump of sea junk :mad: Anyways, I had the dashcam going above water and the GoFishCam below... a bit tedious but got some great footage of the bottom fishing. Stay tuned I’ll post when I get around to it... I have to edit it out good so ya don’t know my spots ;)

Last edited:
Went out to Polier for some non-retention fun Sunday morning at sunrise. For 2 straight hours it was literal non-stop action! Multiple double headers...20-30 fish to the side (small ones released gaf, large ones held in catch and release net to get hook out). About half were keeper size, and a couple into the high teens. Murky water, so they were hitting high (30-70'). Spoons, hootchies, didn't matter. Even ran spoons naked and they kept coming. 10/10 would recommend!

Went out to Polier for some non-retention fun Sunday morning at sunrise. For 2 straight hours it was literal non-stop action! Multiple double headers...20-30 fish to the side (small ones released gaf, large ones held in catch and release net to get hook out). About half were keeper size, and a couple into the high teens. Murky water, so they were hitting high (30-70'). Spoons, hootchies, didn't matter. Even ran spoons naked and they kept coming. 10/10 would recommend!
I always wonder... why are there so many near Porlier pass and so few around Active pass? Or is that like trying to figure out women?.....

I always wonder... why are there so many near Porlier pass and so few around Active pass? Or is that like trying to figure out women?.....
I guess we will never know ha! But I do find it's often a better choice to head to thrasher or active. Porlier is a fickle lady that has more bad days then good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back