2020 Chinook

"The reports of my death are greatly exaggerated."
Lets wait til the patient is truly dead until we reach any conclusions.
Some areas may be effected more then others, but I predict there will still be sport fishing in many areas.
Perhaps not as in the past, but perhaps a change was needed regardless

IF you have the ability to hook your boat up to your truck and take it where you please there will be areas where you can fish all season. There is a reason why places like Port Hardy and WCVI are plug with americans all season. IT's still better than the options they have,

If you are moored in the JDF/SOG and not willing to go somewhere else, Well you will probably be waiting till august before you can retain a fish. There is even some talk that august we may see a slot or hatch only fishery as well. We will have a better gage of the situation post Feb and March meetings.

Jesus depression session. Big island and big coast. Yes fishing is changing, but our area in BC is massive there will always be somewhere to go if you stay mobile.

I moved up island, and I was amazed of how limited I was just fishing Sooke/Vic. It is funny people up island seem to be very mobile but down island they seem to want to anchor down to one spot.

It is sad, but I think it will be reality coming up . If people want fishing opportunities they might have to fish other areas that are open.

Last edited:
What about the local economies and small businesses around areas 19 and 20 that rely on recreational fishing and all the employment that it brings? Not everyone or every business or local economy can move. We should continue to demand sound, science based fishing regs. that strike a balance between the resource/environment and the economy (like is expected in every other natural resource sector in the country) and not allow certain parts of the coast suffer while other areas may benefit. I say we are all in this together in the public fishery (aka rec. sector). Either united we stand, or divided we fall. DFO loves to divide and conquer the rec sector - I say don't let them!

What did people tell me before the election. There is more to care about then just fishery issues.

So be it here they are to stay. Maybe Thoes small businesses they can get their NDP MP to help them out

What about the local economies and small businesses around areas 19 and 20 that rely on recreational fishing and all the employment that it brings? Not everyone or every business or local economy can move. We should continue to demand sound, science based fishing regs. that strike a balance between the resource/environment and the economy (like is expected in every other natural resource sector in the country) and not allow certain parts of the coast suffer while other areas may benefit. I say we are all in this together in the public fishery (aka rec. sector). Either united we stand, or divided we fall. DFO loves to divide and conquer the rec sector - I say don't let them!

Your missing point. I am not telling businesses to move. I wasn't saying dividing our sector. More important that we can't just inflict same pain across everyone if stocks of concern are present in one system/ and another they aren't. That wouldn't make any sense. Many people go for trips etc. in other areas.

All I am saying is that anglers may need to be little more flexible as times get more challenging. As for making decision on science I agree. But it is challenging to apply any science for areas that have a legacy of mistrust with DFO, and just push back any data collection that may help the area possible stay open. Especially when fish of concern like early timed 52 Fraser are present. This is still a challenge in 19/20 I believe.

I feel really bad for everyone as they cope with these new times, but business may have to change/diversify as the fishery changes. Sad reality I am afraid.

Last edited:
I feel really bad for everyone as they cope with these new times, but business may have to change/diversify as the fishery changes. Sad reality I am afraid.

pretty hard for a charter outfit or a tackle shop to diversify ?
what about the marina's that depend on fishing ?
not quite as simple as moving away.

Didn't say move away. If you look around most business down there have made changes last few years. Even some I know in guiding are working on other things Plan B. This isn't something that is just going on Victoria it across BC right now. I see what you are saying but what is the alternative? Your area is funnel on a map with early timed Fraser fish running through it as well as other stocks of concern. SRKW whale habitat etc.

How can that be changed? Remember I fish down there too , and I am just equally saddened of what has happened to the area.

I sure hope people realize that now is the time to write the minister with your stand
on our fishery.
Waiting until the announcement is made is too late, the decision will already
be put in motion.

Last edited:
I know you hate meetings Scott but please try to go to the spring SFAC down in Vic if you can. Ryan/Chris will be having a meeting in spring, and can voice concerns there. If you miss that one we have ours in Nanaimo also.

I know you hate meetings Scott but please try to go to the spring SFAC down in Vic if you can. Ryan/Chris will be having a meeting in spring, and can voice concerns there. If you miss that one we have ours in Nanaimo also.

Sorry but voicing concerns at a SFAC meeting is not the same as voicing them to the DFO minister.
There will be a lot of sad faces come April otherwise.

Didn't say move away. If you look around most business down there have made changes last few years. Even some I know in guiding are working on other things Plan B. This isn't something that is just going on Victoria it across BC right now. I see what you are saying but what is the alternative? Your area is funnel on a map with early timed Fraser fish running through it as well as other stocks of concern. SRKW whale habitat etc.

How can that be changed? Remember I fish down there too , and I am just equally saddened of what has happened to the area.
I think we need to be careful with our choice of words, particularly terms like “funnel”. While you are using it for one particular run in this case looking at the map would indicate it could be used for the narrowing at both the Northern and Southern ends of the island. That being the case using the funnel principal the east side of the Island and Georgia Strait could be the next DFO target, because after all the fish are also going through a funnel and heck it’s already being done in Juan de Fuca.

That just leaves the concentrated fish on migration routes heading for the funnels on the famous “Salmon Highway”.Which while not a geographic funnel hosts concentrated runs in a close to shore fishery . Hmmm, what to restrict next?

While I totally get where you are coming from, the funnel term should IMO be saved for nets across the Fraser. I also take issue with a theory that catching a Fraser bound fish outside Juan de Fuca on a salmon highway is any different than catching it in Juan de Fuca. Moving fishing pressure that targets the same stock just doesn’t make sense to me. At any rate it’s good to see people trying to find solutions even if we can’t agree on them.

Spring, has there been any thought given to soliciting emails from Fishers who cannot attend the meetings? Seems to me DFO should be willing to accept email submissions as well as in person ones. I’d suggest the Individual SFAC and DFO have a shared account that both have access to and the greater fishing community can articulate their concerns on.

I will let Searun or Derby comment on this further.

We have internally 100 people on our e-mail list that we share out information with in Area 17. We also sent out a survey for how to improve the SFAC process recently.

Unfortunately is still up to the angler to get a hold of there local SFAC to get added to the email list. Combined with Facebook and Instagram across social media. It works as I ave seen participation at our meeting grow last few years.

I will tell you it is BS that angler concerns don't matter at these. Attendance does matter.

Ziggy SV May of used the word funnel but he’s not basis’s what he’s saying by looking at a map. He’s saying based on data that’s available that shows where certain stocks migrate and where they are caught. Early Fraser fish migrate primarily though the JdF and out to off shore.

No one can change that just like no one could change where the cowichan fish hang out and the closures associated with that stock.

Fraser Harrison is also in decline so hence closures and reductions in the sog and north sog.

Then there is the issue of First Nations saying they are not getting enough.

And as SS pointed out there is lots of chinook stocks on review with SARA. Any one of Thoes stocks getting a listing would be devastating so DFO is cutting fisheries.

Still that does not mean that they cannot allow hatch fisheries or fisheries to take place when stock of concerns are not in the area.

Last edited:
Ziggy SV May of used the word funnel but he’s not basis’s what he’s saying by looking at a map. He’s saying based on data that’s available that shows where certain stocks migrate and where they are caught. Early Fraser fish migrate primarily though the JdF and out to off shore.

No one can change that just like no one could change where the cowichan fish hang out and the closures associated with that stock.
I think you are underplaying the impact of geography on this issue. Stocks are caught where they are relatively close to shore and relatively concentrated. Geography plays a huge role in this. As you say it’s about where certain stocks migrate and my point is that stocks destined for the Fraser have only two routes, one at either end of the Island and that is geographic. My concern is that if you can simply declare one area as a funnel, whats to stop you from expanding it to other areas?

I think you are underplaying the impact of geography on this issue. Stocks are caught where they are relatively close to shore and relatively concentrated. Geography plays a huge role in this. As you say it’s about where certain stocks migrate and my point is that stocks destined for the Fraser have only two routes, one at either end of the Island and that is geographic. My concern is that if you can simply declare one area as a funnel, whats to stop you from expanding it to other areas?

Data. As far as east coast island we have pretty good grasp of what swims by and when. Several years of it and DNA as opposed to CWT heads and historical data which JDF has.

This will be key moving forward to get on board with ramping up that data in south. Up island many of the areas have fairly strong data, and that resulted in some areas being open while JDF was shut. The 1NM surf line fishery on WCVI opened because of the data they had.

The future obliviously is hatchery fish but we aren't at 100% clipping yet. That will help some areas remain open.

Last edited:
Spring, has there been any thought given to soliciting emails from Fishers who cannot attend the meetings? Seems to me DFO should be willing to accept email submissions as well as in person ones. I’d suggest the Individual SFAC and DFO have a shared account that both have access to and the greater fishing community can articulate their concerns on.

The SFAC/SFAB is looking to modernize over the next couple years & all options are being considered. I believe changes are coming for the good as we have some very good folks driving this bus but it will take a little time & commitment of funds to be able to make the necessary changes.. people need to remember that for the most part the SFAB is a volunteer organization . As SV stated that currently there are local meeting that you can attend to get informed for each area's particular issues. If one can not attend for whatever reason u can still get your email address to the local chairs & they pass along any info they have so u can still be informed... As a chair of Area 17 currently I'm on 3 other area's email lists & attend Area 23 meetings because I spend time in those area's during my fishing season and i can stay informed.. So for the time being at the very least people should get there email address & names to the area chairs that you spend time in so you can stay informed.. If anyone wants to find out who there area chairs are please pm me what area's you fish and i will be more then happy to pass along the chairs email address to get you on there e- mail area list.. You will find the area chairs for the most part are great people and will do there very best to answer any questions you may have... so as a chair your concern do matter :)

Last edited:
Data. As far as east coast island we have pretty good grasp of what swims by and when. Several years of it and DNA as opposed to CWT heads and historical data which JDF has.

This will be key moving forward to get on board with ramping up that data in south. Up island many of the areas have fairly strong data, and that resulted in some areas being open while JDF was shut. The 1NM surf line fishery on WCVI opened because of the data they had.

The future obliviously is hatchery fish but we aren't at 100% clipping yet. That will help some areas remain open.

It's very import that all hatchery heads be turned in..how many people on this board have heads left in there freezers or have cut them off & threw them away saying it doesn't matter? ..it all matters. :(
For those of you that are taking the time to write letters make sure u let DFO know that a 100 percent clipping of hatchery fish is very important to you & the future of fishery:)

Back