2020 Chinook

scott craven

Our 2020 Chinook season is in peril of the same or possibly worse regulation changes
than we saw in 2019.
I think it's time we started writing the minister to let her know we want to
be able to keep hatchery Chinook.
Without some pressure on them now, DFO will likely adopt last years reg's
as the status quo.

"The Department is looking for feedback on any proposed changes that the First Nations and stakeholders would like considered during the IFMP planning process."

This is our chance, we need to ask for hatchery fish retention.
please start the letters now !

min@dfo-mpo.gc.ca

Last edited:
I really believe if we sit back and do nothing, we'll see more and more restrictions
coming down the pipe.
The very least we should get is some form of hatchery fish retention given that
they are produced for it.

I really believe if we sit back and do nothing, we'll see more and more restrictions
coming down the pipe.
The very least we should get is some form of hatchery fish retention given that
they are produced for it.
If that is a priority for you, the IFMP Priorities are open for comment...last time I checked this is a free country and freedom of speech etc is what Canada stands for....so let them know your thoughts.

If that is a priority for you, the IFMP Priorities are open for comment...last time I checked this is a free country and freedom of speech etc is what Canada stands for....so let them know your thoughts.

I sent my e-mail last week, hope others get on board.

You can also submit feed back directly to the IPHC for halibut.

I have read a number of the submittals from Alaska charter operations they a concerned they won’t even have a season next year because long liners are killing to many large females and apparently big cuts are coming to their area.

You can also submit feed back directly to the IPHC for halibut.

I have read a number of the submittals from Alaska charter operations they a concerned they won’t even have a season next year because long liners are killing to many large females and apparently big cuts are coming to their area.
The average weight of commercial caught halibut in bc is roughly 24lbs. The trawlers in area 4cde increased their bycatch by 700,000lbs. That is why fisheries are being restricted up there. New this year Alaska has to cover all their own bycatch as in previous years it was included in natural mortality and every area paid.

The average weight of commercial caught halibut in bc is roughly 24lbs. The trawlers in area 4cde increased their bycatch by 700,000lbs. That is why fisheries are being restricted up there. New this year Alaska has to cover all their own bycatch as in previous years it was included in natural mortality and every area paid.

https://iphc.int/uploads/pdf/am/2020am/iphc-2020-am096-inf01.pdf

My husband and I own Captain Mike's Charters. We are horrified with thee new regulation proposals for area 3A for the Charter Industry. We have successfully run our business for 35 years with the regulations becoming tighter every year despite the charter industries attempts to fight it. These new cuts, based on the longliners take of too many females, which is crazy in of itself, are destined to put us out of business. Our Grandson had proudly taken over the helm two years ago. He now does not intend to fish because the regulations will limit him so much that he would not be able to make a decent living. The limiting of the halibut charter segment based on the data from the longliners is like comparing apples to oranges and the negative effects are devastating. First of all, folks who fish on charters book well in advance and get hotels and lodging etc. I have folks on my books from before these drastic proposals reared their ugly heads. It has all but ruined my business and I have to completely stop booking now until we know what the regulations are going to be.

My husband and I own Captain Mike's Charters. We are horrified with thee new regulation proposals for area 3A for the Charter Industry. We have successfully run our business for 35 years with the regulations becoming tighter every year despite the charter industries attempts to fight it. These new cuts, based on the longliners take of too many females, which is crazy in of itself, are destined to put us out of business. Our Grandson had proudly taken over the helm two years ago. He now does not intend to fish because the regulations will limit him so much that he would not be able to make a decent living. The limiting of the halibut charter segment based on the data from the longliners is like comparing apples to oranges and the negative effects are devastating. First of all, folks who fish on charters book well in advance and get hotels and lodging etc. I have folks on my books from before these drastic proposals reared their ugly heads. It has all but ruined my business and I have to completely stop booking now until we know what the regulations are going to be.

it’s not that the longliners are taking “more” large females than before it’s that after looking at genetic data the composition of the catch was higher on females than originally anticipated. This has been going on for a very long time and this is new data that is being used this year. Many groups are discussing and unhappy with this new addition to the stock assessment and the impacts it has on determining catch shares for 2020. Many participants at the IPHC annual meeting feel the unreported mortalities in area 3B and west are having the largest impact on the stock but Alaska In It’s wisdom has decided to do little about it. Read the submission from Alpha and it will give you an idea of why the Americans are lighting their hair on fire now that they are responsible for their bycatch.

I always find it interesting when the commercial sector gets painted with a ****** brush as it’s the only sector that has any defensible data (more so in BC with EM). What percent of the recreational or FN fisheries catch are females?

Read the submission from Alpha and it will give you an idea of why the Americans are lighting their hair on fire now that they are responsible for their bycatch.

I did all thoes negatives they propose for 2b does not look good. 15% to 35%

What percent of the recreational or FN fisheries catch are females?

Yeah our 15% catch with max size limits is making the difference lol, I'll pay for EM services and dockside validation if you want to give us 50% of the tac fine with me. Let us sell our catch to so we can pay for the EM as well.

I also read that canada is in big dodo over our FSC catch that has not changed in over 10 years. So if we have to account for a big change in that were both going to be bonned.

Little communitys of westcoast bc could be going to the voting table soon.https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/newfoundland-labrador/little-bay-islands-resettlement-1.5397576 this is only a fish war .the last time i heard this happed was when fort victoria (view royal )was formed.

I did all thoes negatives they propose for 2b does not look good. 15% to 35%

Yeah our 15% catch with max size limits is making the difference lol, I'll pay for EM services and dockside validation if you want to give us 50% of the tac fine with me. Let us sell our catch to so we can pay for the EM as well.

I also read that canada is in big dodo over our FSC catch that has not changed in over 10 years. So if we have to account for a big change in that were both going to be bonned.

IPHC has been yapping at BC for years to put proper FSC numbers up. Nothing new this year so not sure what your talking about on that. And as for the proper monitoring I hear frequently how valuable the recreational fishery is so coming up with a few bucks for proper monitoring should be easy.

Now I think we have hijacked the Chinook thread enough.

Received this last night.

The Premier’s office organized a technical briefing late last year.

Essentially, about 275,000 fish made it past the slide, mainly by natural passage, with some 60,000 being transported, most of which were unlikely to spawn.

Early Stuart sockeye (<100 spawners out of 21,000), mid and Upper Fraser spring 1.3 chinook are at grave risk of extinction. Early summer and summer sockeye and mid-Fraser 1.3 summer chinook are at “considerable” risk of extinction. The slide is expected to prevent passage for most of the 2020 migration season.

The site is very remote (the slide went unnoticed for more than six months) requiring crews to scale the rock face for access and some 110,000 cubic metres of debris under the surface.

The goal of the Joint Command (DFO, FLNRO and FN) is to restore sustained natural passage. It has taken extensive advice from the Armed Forces, US Army Corps of Engineers, Rio Tinto and other mining and construction companies. Remediation work risks further slides.

With water flow dropping recently to under 600 cubic metres per second, the federal government has just contracted Peter Kiewit Sons ULC to remove rock and debris between now and March before spring freshet makes further operations impossible.

Some limited strategic enhancement took place in 2019 and is under consideration for 2020.

The consequences for all South Coast fisheries are likely to be severe.

Our war heros from 2 world wars will post mortem give back their Canadian medals and citizenships in shame of such Canadian capitulation. Very, very sad. No decision makers anymore with wits nor balls. Lousy losers.

Back