2020 Campbell River Reports

Status
Not open for further replies.
Heading to Browns Bay this weekend. Any report on the chum? First time fishing for them. Looks like a windy weekend. Got my able dodgers and pink hoochies ready.

hi all! quick question regarding 2021 season, would most expect the chinook retention to stay post july 15 for the season or to open earlier? looking at being on quadra at the end of june and wondering if there will be much for fish showing up yet or much too early, coho/pink or chinook? (as a best guess) thanks in advance:)

hi all! quick question regarding 2021 season, would most expect the chinook retention to stay post july 15 for the season or to open earlier? looking at being on quadra at the end of june and wondering if there will be much for fish showing up yet or much too early, coho/pink or chinook? (as a best guess) thanks in advance:)
Hi Kootenayslam,
The end of June is absolutely prime time for lots of Chinook in the Campbell River area. There will be lots of them in all of the usual haunts. That normally involves trolling very deep (from about 175 ft all the way down to about 300 ft) on the rigger. There may or may not be some coho around as that seems to change from year to year quite regularly. Pinks will be starting to show up, but most of that fishing happens north of Seymour Narrows, not at the South end of Quadra.
Now, having said all that, despite the fact that there will undoubtedly be lots of Chinook around, and that the fishing will probably be quite hot and heavy for them, no-one knows at this time if you will be able to keep any at that time of the season. No-one will know for sure until much closer to the time-line. Good luck with it all.....

thanks Pacemaker really appreciate the reply!

I typically like later in july for my fishing trip but as this is a family camp/fishing trip this late june window is what we have this year so will have to roll the dice with chinook retention or not(has it stayed july 15th for several years?)...one more question, I've fished the "green can" on the south end and will again but is there any fishing at all closer to the heriot bay area or very spotty at best?

cheers

thanks Pacemaker really appreciate the reply!

I typically like later in july for my fishing trip but as this is a family camp/fishing trip this late june window is what we have this year so will have to roll the dice with chinook retention or not(has it stayed july 15th for several years?)...one more question, I've fished the "green can" on the south end and will again but is there any fishing at all closer to the heriot bay area or very spotty at best?

cheers
If you head towards the general direction of the green can from Heriot Bay, you will see Francisco Pt at the SE corner of Quadra. Just before you get to Francisco there is a small area off Quadra that is locally referred to as Dogfish Bay. There is usually pretty good fishing for Chinook right from Dogfish Bay all the way to and past the Green Can. Around the general area of Heriot Bay etc, there are a few RCA's, or Rockfish Conservation Areas where you are not allowed to fish for any finfish. Stay south of Dogfish Bay and you should be OK. General hint, if there are no other boats there, particularly guide boats, don't bother to fish there. Good luck with it.....

Not a chance you will be able to bonk springs in June unfortunately. Doubt we will ever get too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back