2020 Campbell River Reports

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was there about 10 days ago, fishing just south of the Green Can. Never saw any coho but had pretty good action on Springs. Sorry I don't have a more recent report. Hopefully someone else will chime in with a recent report.

Pretty quiet thread... not many folks fishing at the moment w Chinook closed to retention?

Much bait around Wilby Shoal area? Curious about the presence of coho as well!

Pretty quiet thread... not many folks fishing at the moment w Chinook closed to retention?

Much bait around Wilby Shoal area? Curious about the presence of coho as well!

by all accounts fishing’s been unreal. i personally haven’t targeted salmon because i don’t like poking holes in fish i can’t keep. buddy of mine went out and released over twenty fish largest being around 15 or so. can’t wait for july 15

Haven’t been out much because of the retention thing, but the couple of times I have it’s been automatic. Good size fish as well.

Any reports recently? Any coho around? Going camping at Pacific Playgrounds on Thursday. Wondering if I should bring my boat up with.

thanks.

Hey guys, heading up to CR for my annual camping trip in August and wondering If you locals can help me out on finding some crab as I will be brining some crab traps up for the first time. Thanks for the info in advance. We will be staying at Salmon Point for the first two weeks in August, then heading over to Quadra Island for the last two week.

Yeah, curious for an update myself. Headed to Pacific Playgrounds next Saturday for 5 days. Curious to know about coho and bait around Wilby and Sentry shoals as well!

I guess not many people fishing with no retention for chinook...

Leaving tomorrow, Sunday, from a 3 day stay at pacific playgrounds. Brought my boat out but the wind on Thursday and Friday was too strong to go out. Tried to make it out today to fish but had fuel issues that turned expensive. So no first hand reports.

I would bring your boat up. Spoke to the guy at the tackle shop and he said fishing has been lights out for springs and there is some coho around out front. Lots of boats went out today.

Does anyone have any info on areas to fish for springs around Naka creek?

I honestly have never heard of anyone targeting chinook around there. when i was a kid the pinks would be thick thru there.we’ve done kinda ok at the rocky point slightly north of Eve River log booming grounds. Johnstone Strait is a miserable place to fish. great bottom fishing if you can time it right. but fish are obviously moving thru there; i say find some structure and give er!

Craig- crabbing at Oyster Bay/Saratoga Area is very scratchy. Try Stag Bay at North end of Hernando or along Savory Island.

I honestly have never heard of anyone targeting chinook around there. when i was a kid the pinks would be thick thru there.we’ve done kinda ok at the rocky point slightly north of Eve River log booming grounds. Johnstone Strait is a miserable place to fish. great bottom fishing if you can time it right. but fish are obviously moving thru there; i say find some structure and give er!
Thanks for the info!! I camped there in august a few years back and picked up a spring just in front of the campsite so was just wondering if there was a more popular spot for springs! I have a 16.5 foot Lund with a 50 on the back so I don’t mind running a fair distance!

Why do you say johnstone strait is a miserable place to fish? Slow fishing with really strong currents?

Why do you say johnstone strait is a miserable place to fish? Slow fishing with really strong currents?

Hardly slow moving. fish tend to scoot pretty quick thru on the flood tides and rarely hold. the wind can be relentless

Hardly slow moving. fish tend to scoot pretty quick thru on the flood tides and rarely hold. the wind can be relentless

Ya was referring to slow fishing not the water movement. Guess it’s kinda like a fish cannon through there lol what about in throughout the broughton island group I’ve never been through that area any good fish in that area, must be some pretty awesome spots but I’ve heard very little to nothing regarding salmon fishing in those islands

Ya was referring to slow fishing not the water movement. Guess it’s kinda like a fish cannon through there lol what about in throughout the broughton island group I’ve never been through that area any good fish in that area, must be some pretty awesome spots but I’ve heard very little to nothing regarding salmon fishing in those islands

There is some fantastic coho fishing in and around the Broughtons. i’ve had some decent chinook fishing around Blackney Passage and Hanson and Swanson island. not sure if that’s technically the Broughtons but close enough haha

I'm heading to Cambell River this weekend for a 2 week vacation. I hate the thought of having to handle fish so I can get a measurement.... Unfortunately I dont have a history of measuring salmon and dont have an eye for the size class when it's in the water. With Halibut I am good at estimating length in the water and minimize the amount of fish handled.

Hopefully it starts to become obvious with salmon.

That said I need to be able to catch a fish first....

I will give updates on how I make out

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back