2020 Campbell River Reports

Discussion in '2020 Saltwater Fishing Reports' started by SFBC, Jan 1, 2020.

1. SFBC

SFBC Admin Staff Member

Post your 2020 fishing reports here!

2. Addios

Addios New Member

Anyone out there in Campbell finding any winter springs these days? Was thinking of doing a work trip (with boat in tow of course!) and was wondering if anyone has some info on where to look for springs up there? Maybe its not even worth it this time of year? Thoughts?

3. Trophy21

Trophy21 Crew Member

Should be lots around if you can get out.
    Off shelter point or hump off quadra near the red can

Oly1 likes this.
  4. Addios

Addios New Member

You had me at Should! Thanks

Trophy21 likes this.
  5. TakesAll

TakesAll New Member

Had some solid action this week, couple double headers. Seems to be lots of fish around. Lots of wind also...

Chaisin' Tail, Oly1 and Trophy21 like this.
  6. Addios

Addios New Member

Nice to hear ! Any preference to spoons / bait / hootchies ?
    Gonna try and pop my prawning cherry this season as well, any thoughts on the Campbell region this time of year ? Might be ambitious for a rookie prawner but thought I’d ask.

Oly1 likes this.
  7. Sliver09

Sliver09 Member

Back side of Quadra or twin islands near Cortes have produced in the past for prawns

Addios and Oly1 like this.
  8. TakesAll

TakesAll New Member

Spoon outfished the meanie, it was too cold for our hands to bother with bait. The keepers all had empty stomaches.

Addios and Oly1 like this.
  9. Addios

Addios New Member

Thanks a lot fellas ! Looking forward to soaking some gear in some new territory to me.

10. Gearbox Paul

Gearbox Paul Member

Anyone fishing that can report? I’m Probably heading out on Tuesday.

11. Trimtab

Trimtab Member

Fished the red can to lighthouse in the afternoon with plugs and no takers. Tried the red side of the hump with hootchies and released an undersized chinook. Heard that there are keepers out there, just have to find them.

Fish Camp likes this.
  12. Fish Camp

Fish Camp Well-Known Member

I admire your courage of getting on the chuck .wish you well and don't let the reports lead you astray.thankyou for the report.remember there was a 35# caught this month the other year.R WI the right people ,withe the right resouses ,at the right time ?

Trimtab likes this.
  13. RiverBoy

RiverBoy Well-Known Member

Not a report but thought i would voice my dismay over the $20 launch fee at Discovery now. $15 to launch and $5 to park. this is outrageous. this is campbell river not granville island....this is going to put so much pressure on Big Rock now. Salmon capital of the world and we have two decent launches. what a complete joke. sorry rant over.

14. donnie d

donnie d Active Member

have not been in years, but is there still a functioning ramp at the FWM?

15. Trophy21

Trophy21 Crew Member

10 bucks at pacific playgrounds it’s not to far from cr

16. RiverBoy

RiverBoy Well-Known Member

I believe the ramp at the Freshwater Marina is for their clientele only. in any case you’re not getting up the river in less than a 6’ tide unless you have a punt or a jet boat.

The rough launch on the spit was decommissioned WHILE PEOPLE WERE OUT FISHING. they came back to find the concrete launch had been removed by excavators.

Discovery is the only all tide launch in CR currently; at $20 per launch.

Big Rock is doable to about a 5’ tide in my DE 185. Big Rock is awesome and free but parking is limited.

Ken Forde is ridiculous; basically a kayak or SUP launch at this point.

South of town Salmon Pt has extremely limited parking and gets real skinny as well; not sure about the tide restrictions.

The point is, the launch situation is CR is absolutely embarrassing.

TakesAll, donnie d and triplenickel like this.
  17. Gearbox Paul

Gearbox Paul Member

Went out Tuesday to hump and Green Can. No bites

18. Gong Show

Gong Show Well-Known Member

Any word about fish action?

Still pretty close after the herring spawn, but looks like I may get a forced vacation in the near future.
    If the banks close, I'm done.

As said by the great Walter Sobchak, "**** it dude, let’s go (bowling) fishing."

ReelSlim, dmurph and littlechucky like this.
  19. HewesDart

HewesDart New Member

Tried Sentry Shoal for a change the other day. 9 to the boat....all safely released. One was likely barely a keeper and a few were close but surely under. All caught East and South of the yellow can. 150' - 210' on the wire in 200' depth. All on spoons. No luck with plugs.

Gong Show, donnie d and Foxsea like this.
  20. was out yesterday.....fished shelter point for a couple hours......all undersized for me as well. Nice day to be out though.

HewesDart, Gong Show and Foxsea like this.