2020 Bamfield and Barkley Sound Reports

went to Kirby yesterday afternoon. turns out my friends get sea sick and was back at the cabin in an hour. so went back there solo this morning trolled for an hour and only hit 2 small dinkers and my neighbor had hit 5 of the same. decided to troll to Sanford with no luck. picked up and raced over to the wall. figured I'd just troll up to grappler entrance and see if I could mark some bait. at the first point rod at 62 went off and released a decent hatchery spring. 4" Irish cream spoon took the fish. glow hootchy got no love. mo

Finally got my boat ready for the water. Will be fishing out of Ucluelet... trying to decide between fishing Wya Point, Cree, Pill Point or Meares Bluffs. Any suggestions on location and gear?
Thx

Finally got my boat ready for the water. Will be fishing out of Ucluelet... trying to decide between fishing Wya Point, Cree, Pill Point or Meares Bluffs. Any suggestions on location and gear?
Thx
We often do the Meares to Cree tack.

We fished today from mears to Cree. Started at mears and fished small 3.5 spoons and hoochies. Didn’t have much luck. Picked up a few shakers but nothing worth keeping. Sounder was plugged full of feed and the odd mark of a Chinook. Lots of guides there. Fished from 60’-120’ on the riggers. Switched to a “coho killer” and moved up to Austin island and picked up a decent fish. Kept the fish and cleaned it right then and there. Fish was absolutely stuffed full of fresh herring roughly 1.5” in length, very small. So we decided to run two “coho killers” with a roughly 42” leader length. Fishing in the 65’ mark on the riggers. We ended up with 5 springs all over 10lbs and one pushing 20lbs. And an awesome double header to end the day!

I will be out pounding the wall or Whittlestone as I got a short window in morning before crew wakes up. should be able to put up a 3 location sound report by 10 am. maybe it'll help you guys that are getting out for Hali. first thing

went to the wall first. no love so trolled past Aguilar to Brady's. no fish. put the boat on 4 mph troll to get to Whittlestone and hooked a small one. with 10 mins to go dragging my hootchy on the bottom I picked up a small 15 lb Hali. stuffed with squid. i was stoked as I was quite envious of the boys going of shore.
buddy at Kirby picked up a 10 and a few smallsb then ****** off towards Swale. another friend out at cree. when I hear from them I'll post. IMG_20200606_095804_01.jpg

Got our 3 Hali’s this morning out on lighthouse bank got to cree around 10 no love yet saw one guy playing one when we arrived then a whale came through and nothing since.

went to the wall first. no love so trolled past Aguilar to Brady's. no fish. put the boat on 4 mph troll to get to Whittlestone and hooked a small one. with 10 mins to go dragging my hootchy on the bottom I picked up a small 15 lb Hali. stuffed with squid. i was stoked as I was quite envious of the boys going of shore.
buddy at Kirby picked up a 10 and a few smallsb then ****** off towards Swale. another friend out at cree. when I hear from them I'll post. View attachment 53634
Atta Go Cpt Morgan ! Good to see ya beat your sea lion to the meat lol . Gotta get back to work, thanks for reports

Hey guys, my Dad and I will be going out to Bamfield for the first time this Mon-Thurs. Hopefully get into our first ever ling and hali and saltwater salmon. I bought a Lowrance Elite 7 ti 2 with navionics charts but I can't find the spots you guys are talking about. Any location recommendations for ling and halibut and how to find them on the chart? Will be moored out of Bamfield inlet on a 2250 Stratos.

Hey guys, my Dad and I will be going out to Bamfield for the first time this Mon-Thurs. Hopefully get into our first ever ling and hali and saltwater salmon. I bought a Lowrance Elite 7 ti 2 with navionics charts but I can't find the spots you guys are talking about. Any location recommendations for ling and halibut and how to find them on the chart? Will be moored out of Bamfield inlet on a 2250 Stratos.
Many fishing areas are just outside of Bamfield: Aguilar Pt. has a light and Brady's Beach is the stretch just beyond. The Wall is outside the Inlet but the opposite direction. Whittlestone is further out towards Cape Beale. Over into the Islands you can find Kirby Point and Sandford Island. Across Imperial Eagle is Effingham Island with Meare's Bluff and nearby are Austin and Cree Islands. Towards Uclulet is Amphitrite Point and offshore is Lighthouse Bank. Almost all of these landmarks are on your charts.

We occasionally catch Lings while trolling near structure and closer to bottom. Most folks fish offshore for Halibut. Most fishermen will give you some guidance if you ask for help. There are plenty of great spots to fish. Explore and enjoy the scenery!

Back