2020 Bamfield and Barkley Sound Reports

Tried to find a spot to fish Friday afternoon. She was a little rough Saturday afternoon. Gave it a shoot in hulford Bay Area. A couple of bites on anchovy , right off the bottom. No takers. Prawning and crabbing is not bad. My son and I are sitting on the anchor Hali fishing at the moment. A couple of bites in a hour. Nothing in the boat as of yet.

So we stopped and jigged up a couple of lings Dropped some gear for salmon. Had one good pin popper. And it just kept going. That was it. Now we are heading back in on the kicker , the big motor quit. Fuel problem . Fuel pump. Still a good day fishing. At least we were not off shore.

I seem to have miss placed a set of prawn traps. I heard that the traps are on the way to Port Alberni via log boom. If someone finds them please give me a call. My phone number is on the float And boat name. Caesar time Stokes :( Thanks

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply

The truth is its impossible to know. These fish could of went out to an area of the ocean where feeding was good. They may have 4% survival instead of 2%. If that happens then a lot more will return.

They basically look at previous years and say well they were **** and ocean temps were **** so this year will probably be ****. They can surprise either way tho,

The truth is its impossible to know. These fish could of went out to an area of the ocean where feeding was good. They may have 4% survival instead of 2%. If that happens then a lot more will return.

They basically look at previous years and say well they were **** and ocean temps were **** so this year will probably be ****. They can surprise either way tho,

Like 2010 off the Fraser

Spent the weekend at the cabin and fished at a few different spots in the sound. Was pretty slow for me but could of been just in wrong spot. Picked up a spring at whittelstoned and another at Kirby. Both fish were stuffed with squid. I'm wondering if there's so much around they don't generally have to chase lures . I didn't exactly fish hard with just my trusty white hootchy and a few other odds and ends and just trolled spots for a relatively short time. Excitement of trip was trolling 7 mile and hooking a nice Hali only to have a sea lion take it. Back up next Tuesday for 8 days and will get my redemption. Capt mo

Just found out that Poett nook will not open this season. Only open to seasonal who have self contained units. No bathrooms or showers. Gas dock is open 9-5. Deposits will be returned or rolled over to next year. Was posted on their website

Dropped prawn traps first thing this morning then went to 3mile. Nothing but undersized lings. Moved out to 7 mile and trolled back towards 3mile. Another couple undersized lings and one quillback. Moved back to the south side of 3mile, another quillback and finally a keeper cabazon. No Hali love for us. Checked the prawn traps late this afternoon. Total of 35 between the 8 traps. Moved the traps. Will check them first thing in the morning and if the are not producing will have to find another spot.

Planning on running out tomorrow morning from Port.
Leaving down riggers at home..plan is to set out the prawn and crab traps for the 1st time in the area, will be trial & error for me.
Weather permitting we will bottom bounce a jig and buzzbomb in a few spots then
throwing the hook out @ Turtle for the night.

Back