2020 Bamfield and Barkley Sound Reports

Early assessments are that it will be similar to 2019. Columbia Chinook forecasts are similar to 2019. Some Vancouver Island rivers are forecast to be similar to 2019 including the local run which in 2019 was at a 20 year high.

Went to the cabin this weekend. Couldn’t go far as I was approaching the first oil change (20hr) for my new motor. After setting some prawn traps started the kicker and trolled from Ecoole to Link then to Fullerton Pt, across to Assits, down to the bottom of Congreve, back to Assits, over to Tylor rock, then finished up at Chup pt. Needle fish spoon on a new cyclone flasher and a white hoochi with a purple haze flasher. Varied between 60 and 120 feet. Two shakers, one China rock fish and two lings (one just legal keeper) all on the hoochi. Passed two other boats, one said that they hadn’t had a hit all morning. Grand total of 35 Prawns and 10 shrimp in the 4 traps over two days. Hope to do better this coming weekend.

Prawning is spotty. Wife an I put down 4 set of traps in a line about a mile. 95 in between the first two, 15 between the next pair. Then 3 and a water haul on the last one. Jigged a 29” ling while we killed a few hours. Pulled up a sea anemone that was quite interesting.3C2ACEC8-2DE0-426D-A25A-15043409DD1F.jpeg

Went out to Swale a couple days ago. Cabin fever was setting in and the need to burn some cheap gas. Trolled Swale to Harbor entrance and back and then towards Howards Pt. Eerily No bait on the sounder No birds and No shakers. The water was like glass. Got a nice ling on the salmon gear on the troll. Any day on the water is a great day. To those that cannot get out right now stay home and stay safe.. Lets get life back to normal as soon as we can !

Winds and tide looked good to try for some Hali. Tried out in front of Beal (sharks tooth). Hooked one that was too big to keep (and it broke off). Had a head shaker on for about a min then it came off. Two undersized lings released. Three nice sized rockfish. Looked to be boats out at 7 mile but no radio chatter.

Anyone else catching hali up in this area recently? Still waiting in victoria.

Anyone have any salmon reports? Might head out this weekend. Thanks in advance

Thanks for proving they are still there. I hope they are moving southeast to vic.

Back