2020 Bamfield and Barkley Sound Reports

Fished sunday evening, all day Monday and Tuesday morning. We limited on springs and grabbed 7 coho, 3 people in my boat. Pretty darn good fishing! Anywhere along fleming was hot for us. Put a pair of white hoochies on and never changed them. 50 feet was the magic number. Nice to see so many quality fish, we managed to only release a few shakers.
Good luck everyone.
Pastafarian

Fished sunday evening, all day Monday and Tuesday morning. We limited on springs and grabbed 7 coho, 3 people in my boat. Pretty darn good fishing! Anywhere along fleming was hot for us. Put a pair of white hoochies on and never changed them. 50 feet was the magic number. Nice to see so many quality fish, we managed to only release a few shakers.
Good luck everyone.
Pastafarian
Thanks for the intel Pastafarian. Any particular flasher working better than others?

The wall was hot Saturday-Sunday, primarily on the flood tide, but also in the first 40 minutes of daylight. Some beauty coho up to 12 pounds. Please everybody note the reduced daily limits for Coho now applicable.

Anchovies were best, but some were having luck on hardware. Water was copper colored in some areas still, but better than the week before.

What was interesting to me was that some of the Chinook and Coho that were fully mature were still feeding aggressively on baby herring (2-3 inches) or squid (8 inches), on the flood tide. In my experience this is super late in the year to see such activity for returning Chinook in the sound, the Coho I'm less surprised about. Interestingly none caught on the ebb in 2 days had any bait in their stomachs.

Heading out to Barkely sound to fish from this evening till Sunday. Any tips on where to concentrate my efforts this time of year?

Heading out to Barkely sound to fish from this evening till Sunday. Any tips on where to concentrate my efforts this time of year?
Right now fish are probably all over the sound. Was there last weekend and got all our fish at Brady's Beach, good morning bite with pretty steady action all day. 3 guys

From the radio chatter fishing was good all along the south side of the sound.

go where the boats are,, if you see bait, wait it out for the bite to come on.

Nothing. Fished backside of Fleming and now at swale. Lots of shakers. Saw two nice ones landed. Just switched out to bigger gear and drop it down deeper. Hopefully will keep the shakers off.

Fished pill from 8.30 to noon purple hase head at 44 feet 2 rods went 4/6 all springs did slow down to 2.2 mph seemed like a bite at tide and another half hour after. Saw a few caught at 11.00

We fishing out of Bam for a cpl of days this past week. Fishing was hit or miss. Right place, right time meant results. Otherwise lots of trolling w out action. Many, many shakers no matter what we used. Best for us was anchovies at 30 feet. Ended up w 7 spring and 2 coho. Springs ranged from 15 to 25 pounds, w a double header at 20 lbs each we actually managed to land. Bit of a gong show for the 2 of us, but fun. Hey. Question: could we possibly have seen a sturgeon jump off Beale?? Flat water, clear day, HUGE silver fish w diamond markings in a line all down its body. Jumped a few times. Couldn't believe our eyes.

Its possible - very rare, but a possibility. They are caught occasionally going into Kennedy Lake, and once in a long while one gets caught in the Somass.

Back