2020 Bamfield and Barkley Sound Reports

Coming from Duncan it's a no-brainer. Go the Cowichan route.
Second this. I did it a month ago as I had to trailer to Bamfield for service at Breakers there (they are great) and the alberni to sarita junction section was not in great shape (on the hills especially) and also stupid with logging contractors in their pickups sliding around corners to get to/from home in record time I guess. They must drive by radar or something (sarcastic), as the dust was as thick as fog. This rain will make it less dusty which is a plus for you.

I’ve
Second this. I did it a month ago as I had to trailer to Bamfield for service at Breakers there (they are great) and the alberni to sarita junction section was not in great shape (on the hills especially) and also stupid with logging contractors in their pickups sliding around corners to get to/from home in record time I guess. They must drive by radar or something (sarcastic), as the dust was as thick as fog. This rain will make it less dusty which is a plus for you.[/QUO

I’ve worked falling a fair bit which is known to be a fairly risky and dangerous job, but by far the scariest part of the day was the drive out in the crew cab lol

Has anyone driven the Lake Cowichan - Bamfield route recently? What is the condition of those roads? Debating between going that way for the first time or driving up through Port Alberni coming from Duncan.
I was speaking with a local today and she said the road is a mess, her advice was to launch in Port Alberni and boat in

Has anyone driven the Lake Cowichan - Bamfield route recently? What is the condition of those roads? Debating between going that way for the first time or driving up through Port Alberni coming from Duncan.
Last summer I drove the youbou route to Banfield main.. it was pitiful. I often had to come to a dead stop to get through the potholes. If Mosaic isn't logging they don't maintain their road. Would have been faster to drive to Port.

Had friends driving out to Bamfield all summer from both Port Alberni and Victoria/Cowichan and it has been fine, but the rains changed that. Had one group from Alberni today and another via Cowichan today and both routes were a mess and took much longer than normal.

Heading up to banfield this afternoon to fish Sunday, Monday, Tuesday. Hows the fishing been lately? I keep hearing reports of it being slow this year.

Heading up to banfield this afternoon to fish Sunday, Monday, Tuesday. Hows the fishing been lately? I keep hearing reports of it being slow this year.
Friends are there right now and they did well today. The weather is better.

Lights out today.. lots of boats but lots of fish.. hurry up our they will scream into the inlet

I was speaking with a local today and she said the road is a mess, her advice was to launch in Port Alberni and boat in
Yeah it was bad. I ended up driving through Alberni since I had to make a stop in Nanaimo. The road was washed out and detoured at one point and I've never seen the rest of the road worse than it is now. The big raid really did a number on it.

Just back from 3 nights in the sound with the family, salmon was a bit slow for my boat this trip, but I was rolling with the full family, two children 8 year and 16 month so lol, we missed some of the prime tides, first lights and lights out bites. Some good waves of fish around though, we picked up 3 nice springs, and lost a good one. Picked up all three at Gibraltar 2 in one session on 3 inch herring aid spoon and one the night before on chovy. The boy lost a good one just before swale on a chartreuse flasher and white cuttlefish. We didn’t get a lot of bites and missed opportunity. Seems like good amount of fish around, saw fish caught and our friends on their boat did well catching a monster fish on a white turd, and losing one at the net of equal size. Anchored at a few spots in around nettle, it was pretty awesome with good weather, last night especially, clear night with stars and lightning. Did lose 3 crab trap set ups off Brady beach which was a let down, not sure if taken or set was to lite and carried away but looked around. Great trip, despite the slow bite on our boat, did focus a bit on bottom bounce inside with the family, got some nice black bombers, a ling and good size rock cods.

Saw u at Gibratator the one afternoon..should have texted me could have gotten u on a killer bite .. glad u and the family had a good time...great family memory's u are making there :)

Saw u at Gibratator the one afternoon..should have texted me could have gotten u on a killer bite .. glad u and the family had a good time...great family memory's u are making there :)
I texted ya before going, think I have the wrong number, maybe pm me if ya don’t mind. Gonna head back out on Thursday hopefully it’s still good or getting better

Great day for us today. Friday’s rain and wind went away and was replaced by calm seas and warm sun. Put in a full day including Austin/Cree, Swale, and the wall and ended with a full fish locker. Bait was the clear favourite, gear-wise.

Attachments

• 70437B43-451D-4631-B458-8A0DFF786981.jpeg
    70437B43-451D-4631-B458-8A0DFF786981.jpeg
    364.6 KB · Views: 201
Heading home tomorrow am after a few days at Barkley Sound Lodge. 18 of us. Most boats have limited on Springs and picked up a nice bunch of coho as well. Most fish taken off Effingham/Meares Bluff/Pinnacle Rocks.
Very little boat traffic. We had the area pretty much to ourselves (in the fog) today.

Back