2020 Bamfield and Barkley Sound Reports

Just back from 3 nights in the sound with the family, salmon was a bit slow for my boat this trip, but I was rolling with the full family, two children 8 year and 16 month so lol, we missed some of the prime tides, first lights and lights out bites. Some good waves of fish around though, we picked up 3 nice springs, and lost a good one. Picked up all three at Gibraltar 2 in one session on 3 inch herring aid spoon and one the night before on chovy. The boy lost a good one just before swale on a chartreuse flasher and white cuttlefish. We didn’t get a lot of bites and missed opportunity. Seems like good amount of fish around, saw fish caught and our friends on their boat did well catching a monster fish on a white turd, and losing one at the net of equal size. Anchored at a few spots in around nettle, it was pretty awesome with good weather, last night especially, clear night with stars and lightning. Did lose 3 crab trap set ups off Brady beach which was a let down, not sure if taken or set was to lite and carried away but looked around. Great trip, despite the slow bite on our boat, did focus a bit on bottom bounce inside with the family, got some nice black bombers, a ling and good size rock cods.

Last edited:
dmurph - did you guys try rigging up the squid and fishing with them?

no the thought crossed my mind but didn’t, think we might next trip, was really busy with boats where the fish seemed to be holding and I wasn’t out on the early morning bites so didn’t think they would work as good later morning. Wasn’t fully sure how to rig also

no the thought crossed my mind but didn’t, think we might next trip, was really busy with boats where the fish seemed to be holding and I wasn’t out on the early morning bites so didn’t think they would work as good later morning. Wasn’t fully sure how to rig also

was really exciting for the wife and boy to catch though

Man - yeah that would be a fun thing to try next trip. I am sure some of the locals will chime in on how to rig them - I don't have any experience with squid but have seen videos of guys using them live with a single hook I believe and it looks like a blast...

Man - yeah that would be a fun thing to try next trip. I am sure some of the locals will chime in on how to rig them - I don't have any experience with squid but have seen videos of guys using them live with a single hook I believe and it looks like a blast...
Run a single right through the mantle. It can work like a hot damn

Still brown around the sound? Heading out tomorrow hoping the rain will clear it up and bring fish in

I would try sliding one into a teaser head and giving that a try :)

Any word from the last couple of days out there?

Heading up Friday at some point, hopefully after the monsoon. Hoping the rain doesn't cause the fish to just blast up the inlet, maybe it will move some fish in that were holding up the coast past Ucluelet.

I was down the past Monday through Wednesday. Fished our regular spot Fleming island around the entrance to robbers pass on the imperial eagle side. Fishing was not good. In the two mornings we were there we caught 1 Chinook and 1 coho. The seaweed was so bad it was almost not fish able. Wednesday morning we decided to travel through the pass over to Danvers where we quickly picked up 4 Chinook and 1 coho. All on bait around the 40-45’ mark. Hopefully this rain pushes some new fish in as it should be better fishing than it was.

Has anyone driven the Lake Cowichan - Bamfield route recently? What is the condition of those roads? Debating between going that way for the first time or driving up through Port Alberni coming from Duncan.

I was down the past Monday through Wednesday. Fished our regular spot Fleming island around the entrance to robbers pass on the imperial eagle side. Fishing was not good. In the two mornings we were there we caught 1 Chinook and 1 coho. The seaweed was so bad it was almost not fish able. Wednesday morning we decided to travel through the pass over to Danvers where we quickly picked up 4 Chinook and 1 coho. All on bait around the 40-45’ mark. Hopefully this rain pushes some new fish in as it should be better fishing than it was.
Where exactly is danvers? Up in bamfield now trying to find areas to fish in this monsoon and hide from wind and rain

Where exactly is danvers? Up in bamfield now trying to find areas to fish in this monsoon and hide from wind and rain
Danvers is the islet down towards Poett Nook before Yankee Bay and Nanat Island. It will show on your chart.

Back