2020 Bamfield and Barkley Sound Reports

saw u doing a drive bye yesterday :)

View attachment 55724
Thanks for posting the pic. My dad and my wife out on the back deck. Late start to the morning. Got tot Pill after 7. Missed the early bite. Left before the mid morning bite. Hit cross point up to Fullerton. Nothing of any real size for us to keep. Stopped to jig. Picked up a Kelp Greenling and a 7.5 lb ling. Rest of the day was spent picking berries. Going to try Pill in the morning I think.

Pill and Useless were ok for us. A 12 and a 17 for my dad to fight in. Some boats limited out others were skunked while all fishing in the same area.

Nice, gonna be running out tomorrow mid morning trying to leave port by 10. What time was the bite at pill?

Just got back from a week long trip with the boys. We ended up going offshore for a couple of days. Got some decent sized halibut and a few chickens. Inshore was decent for us but it was hit and miss. Some days we limited out on springs and other days we saw more shakers than in a mariachi band. Mostly using anchovies but got decent results on small hoochies, especially on the flood. Got some decent sized cabezons to take home. Does anyone know if they are good eating? If not I might just give them to my mother-in-law.

Nice, gonna be running out tomorrow mid morning trying to leave port by 10. What time was the bite at pill?
There was a bite at first light. Then it goes quite for a bit. Definitely a 10 o’clock on nibble. Guys were doing decent late afternoon and evenings as well.

Just returning to the mainland from Barkley Sound. Stayed at Eagle Nook - awesome lodge, unbelievable guides and staff!!! The guides all share fishing info and we regularly fished as a pack. The last two days were on fire - we were fishing the contours and had fish on each lap more than not!!! Swale, Turner and Fleming were hot! Halibut offshore were also plentiful. We will be going back next year!

I’ll be out there. Have some other friends out there fishing too. I’ll shoot you a message and let you know where we find some good fishing.

We're going to hit it just for a day on Sunday. The big debate is between the Swale - Pill area vs. Beale - Kirby area. The noon high tide makes for a bit of a weird tide situation that day, hopefully the fish are hungry for lunch!

Yeah didn’t have to work hard for them at Pill today. Bigger average on the fish this year. Chovies and White Big Eye spoons both working good.

I just came back from trip. Out with Derby for a few days. This was one of the best fishing trips I have been in for years. We stayed in shore and fought countless numbers of chinook in the 18-22lbs range. Did a lit bit of bottom fishing but my son couldn't handle the swells. I may be back out there next week.

What a beautiful area!

upload_2020-8-17_11-15-19.png

upload_2020-8-17_11-15-54.png

upload_2020-8-17_11-16-32.png

upload_2020-8-17_11-17-5.png

upload_2020-8-17_11-17-52.png

upload_2020-8-17_11-18-30.png

Last edited:
Went 2 for 3 at Macktush first thing in the AM yesterday, stopped at Pill mid-morning and no love, then went a frustrating 1 for 6 at Swale in the afternoon, had to leave before the 5 PM tide change but looked like the bite was coming on. Anchovy and white hoochies got the hits for us in both locations.

Of note was the gross brown-copper color of the water in both the inlet and the sound.

On our way back home from short trip to the area around Pill. Limit of 12 springs for 3 of us on white hootchies and small spoons. Awesome weather and conditions.

A couple posts of ‘white’ hootchies success, are these the OAL12R or the plain white (solid) color?
Thanks

When I was in Bamfield last week I noticed some parts of the sound were copper brown. I am assuming that this is an algae bloom. Does anyone know if this affect fishing? I hear now the bloom is in the inlet as well. I have friends there right now and they report fishing is REALLY slow. They just got back from Tofino and it was on fire there. Is it possible fishing are staying up there because of the algae bloom and then are swimming straight through the sound?

When I was in Bamfield last week I noticed some parts of the sound were copper brown. I am assuming that this is an algae bloom. Does anyone know if this affect fishing? I hear now the bloom is in the inlet as well. I have friends there right now and they report fishing is REALLY slow. They just got back from Tofino and it was on fire there. Is it possible fishing are staying up there because of the algae bloom and then are swimming straight through the sound?
Yes

Back