2019 Winter Harbour Reports

Discussion in '2019 Saltwater Fishing Reports' started by SFBC, Jan 1, 2019.

1. tidal shot

tidal shot Active Member

I’ll be in TC on Sunday, be staying in your campground, should meet up for a BS

2. norman oliver

norman oliver Member

We will arrive Sunday, hopefully around supper time. Staying at the Outpost, space 13 for the Deplorables.

3. redrunner

redrunner New Member

Just got back from WH. Springs to 25 in grants up in the gravel...bellies full of squid, coho just south of light house, chicken hail plentiful and keeper lings around if you hunted for them.

4. captmike

captmike Active Member

I'll be in WH for a week starting Sat July 13- how about VHF ch 6?

norman oliver likes this.
  5. Brian Reiber

Brian Reiber Active Member

Mike and I will be in Winter Harbour from Tuesday the 16th to Friday the 19th. We will be the 20' Double Eagle moored at the Outpost. If any SFBC members would like to stop by for a beer it would be great to meet up and share intel. Weather is looking a little sporty next week but I'm sure we can scratch something up.

6. Capt_Ed

Capt_Ed Crew Member

Sound good, we're in site 26 up on the top of the permanent sites. Cliff pt. Was good today, it was a 50 minutes run at 24 knts from the launch to Cliff point. Had 4 Springs and a coho by 13:00 and left to get back to the launch before we lost to much water to get the boat out on the trailer.

7. Matsutake

Matsutake Active Member

Keep it coming guys, I'll be following along til I get there mid August.

Gong Show and norman oliver like this.
  8. norman oliver

norman oliver Member

We will be there on the 14th, we will find some time to kill and talk fishing lies. Heheheh, Outpost space 13. Never been there before. any reports on the road conditions getting there?

9. norman oliver

norman oliver Member

Just one more get up, and we are on our way.......

10. norman oliver

norman oliver Member

We will be there on the 14th, noted channel 6,

11. norman oliver

norman oliver Member

Hey folks, this will only be my second time in WH. Is there anyplace to drop a shrimp pot for a few hours while fishing?

12. Brian Reiber

That's a long bumpy road in to WH with lots of logging traffic at times. We are launching in Port Alice.

13. Almar22

Almar22 Member

Norman, I quit bringing up shrimp pots several years ago. I think the commercial folks hit it pretty hard, we always had a marginal yield and decided it wasn't worth the effort. You might have better luck so let us know if you do try. Back when I was messing with it, mostly dropped pots on the north side, roughly opposite Cliff Pointe.
    Good luck

14. TakesAll

TakesAll New Member

Don't worry about the loggers, they're all on strike up north island way. Roads should be quiet aside from maybe lowbeds. Headed up Wednesday...

15. Brian Reiber

Good point, forgot about that. I still wouldn't tow a big boat in there again. The last time I trailered that road was pulling a 19' fiberglass on rollers. I sweated every bump. Anything bigger I'll boat the inlet.

16. norman oliver

norman oliver Member

Thanks we are doing both, I'm launching at CH with boat, friends are towing a 21 foot trailer up on the logging roads. Hoping the path is well marked?

17. norman oliver

norman oliver Member

Thanks for the info, I'm all packed up, this will be our learning curve year. check on us channel #69 Deplorables.

18. Brian Reiber

My last trip up there was 2 years ago and the road was fairly well marked. I could see how you could miss a turn in the dark but during daylight they should be fine. Make sure their tires are good to start with and ideally carry 2 spares. That shot rock can be a bitch on tires and similar to any other long logging road it isn't uncommon to get more than one flat.

Good luck and see you up there,

Brian

19. G-Auto

G-Auto Member

It is very well marked. I was just up there a month and a half ago. Planning on making the trip again soon. Take it slow with a boat, roads like that are hard on the hull. I personally would launch in CH as well. I drove in because I wasn’t towing. Don’t shy away from it though just take it easy. Friend of mine had his hitch pop off about half way in towing his boat.

20. Bushrat

Bushrat New Member

Just had 2 days there , flat calm, very successful at Cliffe on the morning turn fishing on the inside side of the boundary tight to shore and shallow. Used Peetze new 3.5 inch hammer and small anchovies, 2 in the low 30's and 2 in high 20's for the two of us today

norman oliver, Original and big rock like this.