2019 Victoria and Oak Bay Reports

Status
Not open for further replies.
3 days fishing, 15 for 21 springs, that's only 6 lost and many bites, 10 hours of fishing over 3 day. 1 ling cod 10 lbs. 1 monster rock cod. Tons of fish around. All were cookie cutter 8-14 lbs all hatchery, no wilds. So not sure why DFO is trying to protect hatchery. We should be able to keep 1 fish hatchery with this many around. I get the wild fish for sure. Great 3 days to start the year off.

Last edited:
The hatcheries are for the orcas that “might” show up. :eek::mad::eek::(

According to my math: 35 trips , 0 sightings. 0% chance. :oops:

=

Management fail.

Last edited:
The hatcheries are for the orcas that “might” show up. :eek::mad::eek::(

According to my math: 35 trips , 0 sightings. 0% chance. :oops:

=

Management fail.
I saw a pod of orcas about 1 mile of discovery was fishing for ling cod. There was about 10 of them. One with a huge fin I thought it was a person on a paddle board or kayak.

The Orcas were around Oak Bay a lot last summer. We must have seen them 8 or 10 times between 10 mile point and 3 miles south of Discovery island. Always a highlite.

Last edited:
This is a total political issue, discussed to length in other forums

The way I see it is South Island /Vic
Holds a lot of fish from further south ( that mark there hatch fish ) the further north you get the less marked fish you get, thus you must limit everyone in fairness to reduce the chance that the mighty Fraser chinook does not have the opportunity to return to the Fraser and its tributaries to be netted. Or fish that originated south of where they may be caught are retained. It’s tough I live in Vic and feel like this area has a lot of fish that move through that are vulnerable. I don’t think a lot of the closures is warranted elsewhere, just on the chance a “ endangered “ chinook could be kept. A hatchery marked fish only opening would be much more viable in my opinion.

Does anyone else have issues posting pics from their phone ?

As far as I can tell, the size and everything should work

Does anyone else have issues posting pics from their phone ?

As far as I can tell, the size and everything should work
Yes, I’ve had issues on iPhone 8. I’ve found if I take a screenshot of the photo from my albums on my phone I can then upload the screenshot version. Not sure if it’s reducing the file size or something along those lines but it works for me.

Would like to find out who stole one of my crab traps. Oak Bay Area. Name on the red and white buoy Young 250-477-2684. Keep on the look out for it.

Found!

Last edited:
Yes, I’ve had issues on iPhone 8. I’ve found if I take a screenshot of the photo from my albums on my phone I can then upload the screenshot version. Not sure if it’s reducing the file size or something along those lines but it works for me.
I email the picture to myself and select “small “ then post that smaller file

Never measured it?? You have to measure it to record it properly on your licence.

Sorry, the fish was clearly legal and the tape had disappeared from the boat since last trip . I have 115cm marked on a gaff handle and it was just over (maybe by 1-2cm) I marked it as 116cm

Sorry, the fish was clearly legal and the tape had disappeared from the boat since last trip . I have 115cm marked on a gaff handle and it was just over (maybe by 1-2cm) I marked it as 116cm
I want be to worried about it for one are two centimetres as long is in one are two

Never measured it?? You have to measure it to record it properly on your licence.
Lighten up..eh
The exact measurement is not as important as recording it on your license!
If it's legal and you estimate the length and miss by a few cm who cares!!!!
Most guys mark the legal length on their spear and then estimate from there.
I would rather work in inches instead of cm. guess that tells you something about my age....lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back