2019 Victoria and Oak Bay Reports

Discussion in '2019 Saltwater Fishing Reports' started by SFBC, Jan 1, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bottom feeder

bottom feeder Active Member

out bright and early today for first hali trip !!!! beauty day out there , over cast and currents good but a little too slow , 8 massive dogfish but just as my buddy wanted to go bang !!! massive hit rod bent over and stuck buried under water !!! 5min goes by and were both talking saying it is probably to big but will be great to see it !! all the sudden snap his line breaks and he almost threw the rod over his shoulder and off the boat- he s on the deck i ask if he s ok he says yes then we both piss our self s laughing !! was probably to big to keep but a great day on the water for sure ! Oak bay 400 feet octo !!

barkerfam, Jon, beemer and 6 others like this.
  2. DuroBoat

DuroBoat Active Member

Wow 400' deep? I've gone out three times the past couple weeks without a nibble.. perhaps I'm too shallow @ 220'? I understand the hali are deep in the winter to spawn and get shallower throughout the summer?

3. bottom feeder

were no experts by any means but we just have better luck fishing deeper - but the crappy side is when you get into doggies its a bit of a work out lol

4. bottom feeder

Duroboat - we always put a skirt or a big spoon in front of our octopus !! works for us give it a try - that s why i dont like it when theres not a lot of current, hard to attract them

5. coopsie

coopsie Member

Out at Constance today 270ft 2 doggies lost a hali nice day tho.

6. Wheels

Wheels New Member

With good tides and winds I gave it a try on Friday - waterfront and OBF today. Fished the morning each day. Only 2 shakers on Friday. Did not see any others catching.

Original likes this.
  7. Rayvon

Rayvon Well-Known Member

First halibut trip yesterday,kept a 27 and 34 and released a 15 or so in 2 hours.Encouraging start to the season in my new (to me) boat and on my birthday. No doggies where we were.

Discus, Irishwolf, Original and 2 others like this.
  8. kayladog

kayladog Active Member

Out Sunday from Fleming ramp 8-2. Parking lot was full but not many boats out front. Everyone must have been out hali fishing further out. The waterfront wa slow, one bite , one 5 lb. Saw couple other small fish caught.

9. Irishwolf

Irishwolf Crew Member

I was also out Sunday from 8-2 off Esquimalt playing slolom through the crab traps. Worked the 90-120 contours between Saxe and Macauley points pretty hard but not a sniff. Turned for home to call it a day and thought I’ll try a little deeper. Boom, double header at the 140 contour plus the boat beside me went off too. 150 on the rigger. There seemed to be a school of them tight in a small area almost straight out from the launch on the Saxe Point side. Nothing too big, all around 3-4 pounds.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2019
    Original likes this.
  10. Tips Up

Tips Up Well-Known Member

Happy Birthday Rayvon. I too share the March 16 B-day.
    Went hali fishing with a friend who also has same B-day as we try to do every year if weather and tides work out. (he's got a couple years on me).
    Popular B-day. We know a couple others with same and a friend text us while on the boat announcing the birth of his daughter that day.

We got 1 chicken and a few dogs.
    Great way to spend a Birthday.

g ram likes this.
  11. Original

Original Well-Known Member

Out on this perfect afternoon from Albert Head ,Mcaulay point,Breakwater, Brochie Ledge, marked lots of bait and fish eating bait in all the right spots. Sent down the full assortment of glo skinny g's,herring aid's,couple AP's sand-lance, anchovie on my lucky teaser , hooked kelp, a crab trap and lost a ball. This was an epic day fishing & by far the best Day of the week. Next week I'm gonna put the hooks back on..... While I can.

RTDub, Stizzla, Jaybones and 3 others like this.
  12. beemer

beemer Well-Known Member

Picked up this fatty in Oak Bay today . 16lb hatchery full of herring. IMG_1670.JPG

RTDub, advTHXance, walleyes and 9 others like this.
  13. tinboatrobb

tinboatrobb Well-Known Member

Nice fish. My wife released a 15 lb wild in oak Bay this morning. Damn regs...lol.

Attached Files:

RTDub, advTHXance, walleyes and 6 others like this.
  14. habberdasher

habberdasher Active Member

Sounds like great fishing in Oak Bay Am I wrong I thought two springs over 45cm hatch or wild? Were allowed

15. scott craven

scott craven Well-Known Member

Hatchery only over 67 cm's

16. habberdasher

Thanks Scott I hope to get out tomorrow for the first time in my boat since my new hip

beemer likes this.
  17. beemer

beemer Well-Known Member

Hey Habberdasher , Good luck today! Oak Bay has actually been quite slow , All the boats we talked to yesterday didn't even have a strike after a full shift. We had only one strike after 5 hours , likely it was a nice fish! The waterfront has been more consistent with lots of smaller fish.

beemer

Original likes this.
  18. scott craven

scott craven Well-Known Member

Saturday one strike and released a nice low teen wild, Sunday not a nibble.
    I agree with Beemer, it's fairly slow.

Original likes this.
  19. habberdasher

Thanks Beemer and Scott for the information and it looks a little breezy as well I might just go trout fishing or work on my boat.

20. fishinforever

fishinforever Active Member

Lots of fish on the flats this eve, went out for a quick fish before dinner and landed 5 8-10 pounders. Rods in from 430-530. Marked lots as well. Probably a few bigger in the mix if one had put the time in

Irishwolf, N2013 and Stizzla like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.