2019 Victoria and Oak Bay Reports

Discussion in '2019 Saltwater Fishing Reports' started by SFBC, Jan 1, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Oakbayfishin

Oakbayfishin Member

Any action as of lately? If anyone has made it out between the weather

2. scott craven

scott craven Well-Known Member

Last few trips for me have been very slow.

3. Fisherben3

Fisherben3 Member

Got a 6 lbs at constance last Friday morning

4. habberdasher

habberdasher Active Member

Scott Any crabs ?

5. scott craven

scott craven Well-Known Member

Lot's of just under size....

6. beemer

beemer Well-Known Member

our commercial "friend" has been working the area hard for Dungeness.
    beemer

7. 2xeagle16

2xeagle16 Active Member

Trolled from McCauley Point to Trial Island this morning. Totally dead until 10am – then 4 springs 7,8,9 and 12 near Trial in 90 feet of water. All fish had empty stomachs except one – a small herring and a prawn. No seals around at all.

8. Sangstercraft

Sangstercraft Well-Known Member

Ever try putting a prawn in a teaser head? Works like a charm!

Totally unexpected likes this.
  9. mbowers

mbowers Active Member

We were in the Cdory at Trial jigging near that time and guess you were the other boat. Clearly we didn't try hard enough or stick around long enough I guess. :). Nice job!

10. Irishwolf

Irishwolf Crew Member

I chaperoned a Grade 4 field trip on a whale watching boat yesterday morning. Watched a humpback whale right in front of the flag pole feeding for a good 20 mins. The biologist on board suspected it was feeding on herring. So there’s some bait around.

Totally unexpected and Original like this.
  11. 2xeagle16

2xeagle16 Active Member

Yes we were next to you at Trial, we noticed you disappear just before the bite started to happen. We totally expected to have a tug of war with a 300 pound fur ball, nice to see the seals gone!

mbowers and silver spring like this.
  12. kaelc

kaelc Well-Known Member

Any Hali happening? I know they are supposed to be in deeper water this time of year but I’m holding out hope for one successful trip with my son this year.

13. Fisherben3

Fisherben3 Member

Its been really slow for Halibut

14. fogged in

fogged in Well-Known Member

Slow..
    dead for me, but the dogs were still biting a week or so ago!

15. habberdasher

Saw a few boats out front this morning any reports?

16. Newf

Newf Well-Known Member

I was out from 11am-3pm. Released one around 4lbs and that was the only hit I had. Spoke to a couple of guys in another both and they had kept a couple. Another boat at the ramp had nothing.

RTDub and Original like this.
  17. habberdasher

Thanks Newf for the report

18. ciacione

ciacione Member

Nothing for us
    Four dog fish
    from 9 to 3, race rocks area
    Beautiful wale watching,
    best ever

19. Irishwolf

Irishwolf Crew Member

I was out in a buddy's boat this morning trolling Clover Point. Was pretty slow, but beautifully calm - we got into 1 small keeper and 1 30#er. Wait, what!? o_O

My fish looked maybe 7ish when it came to the surface so when it started to pull... and pull.... and PUUUULL line out like a 20#er, I decided it had to be at least 30! :cool: It spit the hook so we will never know. Likely closer to 10, or a seal, but who knows. I’m sure my dreams will be haunted tonight!

20. eroyd

eroyd Well-Known Member

When out on Saturday. Lots of debris floating around out there. I hit something with by motor leg but was Ok. Another boat was limping home on it's kicker. Released a couple of small Springs in 100' of water of Clover Pt. Both while paralleling the sewer outfall pipe on a tack. Not bad since I was only fishing for an hour before the weather became too snotty for my little boat.
    Lost a prawn trap about 1 km west of Trial. I suspect some debris may have drowned my floats or dragged it off. It wasn't worth risking my life out in the middle of the strait looking for it. Couldn't find it at slack on Sunday. Crabbing however was pretty good in Oak Bay.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.