2019 Victoria and Oak Bay Reports

Status
Not open for further replies.
I went out to the Waterfront yesterday afternoon after the great reports. I kept my first 5lber for the BBQ and released the next few boatside. Hooked into a low teens and after a little run and a couple of jumps, got it close to the boat where it shook itself free as I was about to embark on my solo netting technique (pure chaos).

Sweet spot for all fish was at 64’ in a variety of depths, but mostly in the 80-100ft range. All went for the anchovy and not one hit on the spoon.

A great afternoon for fishing with a spectacular sunset to finish it off!

Fished waterfront today 8-2. Released a nice wild coho right away then boated a 10lb white spring. went dead after 10 until 1 when we had a triple header, while trying to release nice 9-10lb wild coho other 2 got away. All bites on bait and all action off McCauley pt. Should have stayed there instead of wandering all over. Hopefully tomorrow we get to keep one of those wild hos.

Two nice rod bending hits Saturday that didn’t stick. Saw a coho as soon as we were set up and put some half butt effort in to jigging one up but not a snog. 10 doggies. No rat fish. Had an amazing grey whale come visit for 15 minutes, under and all around our boat, while at anchor with all engines off. Highlight trip of the year for my two year old son and pretty much for me was well. No white fish in the freezer, but we have had a good amount of tasty fresh. I’m not giving up yet! Off to Tofino for the long weekend with the camper. Tight lines you Coho killers.

First trip in over a month. Nice to be back on the water. Fished from 8-12:30. 3 wild coho to the boat, in the 5-7 lb range. 60-80ft on DR in 200ft of water straight out from Ogden point. Lost a ball early morning. Go it to within 20ft of the boat but no further. Not how I wanted to start the day but oh well. Great to be back out there and grand daughter had a blast.

Got out a couple times over the weekend targeting coho. Friday afternoon and Saturday were slow but still had some action. Sunday afternoon I had my boys out and they brought on the bite! Started out with a double header that they played to the boat and landed. Over the next two hours we had 8 up to the boat.

The best action came going back and forth on a 1/2nm tack across the current flow (as @wolf has been hinting at for years). Out a ways off Esq in 150-180’ with gear at 50’, 60’ and a slip weight top rod. All had action. 3” anchovy and herring spoons.

Also saw a big sea lion take down a good size salmon in 1 gulp off Saxe point. My video was very shaky...but this screen grab shows it going down.

Good luck out there.
AP Coho.jpg
BA5F6DE8-B2ED-4401-99E6-EF7D3E4AEC2D.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Went out to Constance today. 9-noon had one bite. Came back into waterfront and was only boat off esquimalt. Noon-3 produced one bite and one on for bit but got off. Pretty slow out there.

Anybody out for halibut on the decent tides last week?
I can report the Dog Fish fishing is still good!
No halibut this fall for me.
Not sure if another trip soon will be any different.

Last edited:
Anybody out for halibut on the decent tides last week?
I can report the Dog Fish fishing is still good!
No halibut this fall for me.
Not sure if another trip soon will be any different.
Out yesterday between Race and Albert head - the dogfishing is picking up. We had some really nice sized dogs (one after the other!) No halibut - again.

Not much happening out at Constance today 8:30-2. Had one early that might have made the 45cm but released, A couple nice lings but non retention now. Go figure
Still a beauty day out on the water with 3 other boats out there. No nets spotted today. Was really hoping for a better report but thought I would share this crapy one as it’s been so quiet in here lately.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back