2019 Victoria and Oak Bay Reports

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have been itching to get out there these days so I gave it a shot yesterday. Headed to Constance but we had a puker on board, so we headed back to Clover point and fished the west side of it in about 70'-80' of water. bounced bottom and pulled in four in the 8lb. range. I had an old timer that just got out of the hospital after a month and a half and my son with me. They were both ecstatic to be out there and the fish was just a bonus.

Jumped in @Nolan’s Striper 23 this morning and took off from Sidney. It was a fairly bumpy cruise to the Discovery Island area but still only took about 45.

We anchored near some friends, and gave it our best! Put in about 3 hours of soaking some lines and reeling in doggies.

No Hali’s to be seen... Yet!

Last edited:
Took a trip on the pilot boat thus morning a saw 8 or 10 boats fishing out front. Any luck? Thinking if heading out off Mcauley poi t tomorrow.

Took a trip on the pilot boat thus morning a saw 8 or 10 boats fishing out front. Any luck? Thinking if heading out off Mcauley poi t tomorrow.

Lots of chinook out there. Took a buddy out for a couple hours Friday night and he took home a 12lb and then took my boys out for two hours sat morning and we had 4 to the boat in short order. 3 were 4-6lb released and then there was a low teen beside the boat that I unintentionally released....

I put in some serious hours between brochie and clover point yesterday. Lost a couple of crab traps and only caught one 8 lber. tried for a few hours between Mccauley point and Brochie this morning without even a hit.

We put one by the green can and another about a hundred feet closer to McCauley point. Both near identical metal traps and floats. Left them for about an hour and a half. When we returned the one closer to the can was there full of crabs (only one keeper) but the other one was gone. We searched for a while but couldn't find it. The other missing trap was put by sax point but this trap was light and probably moved in the current. I looked this morning too but found nothing.

Probably will turn up eventually, either way it was a great weekend out on the water. Sun was out, lots of boats and it made you realize spring is almost here.

Out for the first time since October for afternoon shift out front 11-3. Looked promising as we were leaving several boats coming in. One from Constance with 4 fish. One from gravel pit area said they kept 2 of 7 fish. We had one bite, one fish. A 4lb on white squirt off green can buoy. Variety of gear including bait nada. Lots of boats out to take advantage of beauty day the parking lot at Fleming was overfull.

Out yesterday for salmon between 11 and 1, trolling from Clover Point to Vic Harbour at 120-130’ with no luck. Quite a few boats out, but didn’t see anyone catching.
Tried CB for some halibut during the slack tide with a few nibbles, but no love. Regardless, beautiful day and got to test out the anchoring system.

Thanks for not taking all the fish in the morning. I got out from 1:30-6pm and was pretty steady for the first 4 hrs. Started out off sax point 140 deep released a small but legal then a couple undersized. Headed towards the breakwater when my buddy hooked one beside the walkway for the onlookers but lost it. Did back and forth along the breakwater couldn't get any bites so headed out to Brochie and had back to back keepers a 9 & 11 lb and another likely bigger that spat the hook when it saw the net.
Fished a variety of spoons but the herring aid and green glo flasher was king of the day.

Thanks for not taking all the fish in the morning. I got out from 1:30-6pm and was pretty steady for the first 4 hrs. Started out off sax point 140 deep released a small but legal then a couple undersized. Headed towards the breakwater when my buddy hooked one beside the walkway for the onlookers but lost it. Did back and forth along the breakwater couldn't get any bites so headed out to Brochie and had back to back keepers a 9 & 11 lb and another likely bigger that spat the hook when it saw the net.
Fished a variety of spoons but the herring aid and green glo flasher was king of the day.
We caught the same fish today Don!

Fished Constance today, light winds to flat calm, landed three Springs, all at the SW corner of the bank, 140 ft of water, downriggers at 115; green AP and a green and yellow coho killer. One of the fish had 4 or 5 very small needle fish (Sandlance?). All three were hatchery, likely US fish, 50, 56, and 62 cm. Fish caught on the beginning of the ebb from say 10:30 to 1:00. No seals in sight

Fished Constance today, light winds to flat calm, landed three Springs, all at the SW corner of the bank, 140 ft of water, downriggers at 115; green AP and a green and yellow coho killer. One of the fish had 4 or 5 very small needle fish (Sandlance?). All three were hatchery, likely US fish, 50, 56, and 62 cm. Fish caught on the beginning of the ebb from say 10:30 to 1:00. No seals in sight
Nice Job Mark and Doug!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back