2019 Victoria and Oak Bay Reports

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fished for halibut on Monday. 64 and 35. Came in to Albert after 11am and 2 minutes after setting anchovy the rod goes off before I could get the other one down. Steve lost it about 30 ft from the boat. 5 minutes later on the same rod and this time I landed a really dark spring in the high 20’s. starting to show the beginning of a beak and canines poking through the gums.
Congrats!! How deep were you on the riggers at albert head?

Any Coho reports?. I'm going full coho mode starting tomorrow, Probably start at the yellow buoy straight out from Victoria or Sooke.

Out for the night bite off the waterfront and we got this fish which fought like a spring was a good size so it got netted only to realize it was a Coho. This guy has had a tough go lately , are these a seal bite marks or something bigger? We released it and it swam away quickly. Couple other bites but nothing that stuck.

Attachments

• ED3E9430-B325-4A6B-B391-1695EFDF2C6F.png
    ED3E9430-B325-4A6B-B391-1695EFDF2C6F.png
    2.4 MB · Views: 201
Out for the night bite off the waterfront and we got this fish which fought like a spring was a good size so it got netted only to realize it was a Coho. This guy has had a tough go lately , are these a seal bite marks or something bigger? We released it and it swam away quickly. Couple other bites but nothing that stuck.
That one deserves to make it home.

Managed to get this 16lb spring thus morning. I had a friends husband and son in the boat as we passed the end of the breakwater the shallow rid goes off and the kid was quick to point it out. It was daves first time using a level wind and hr managed to guide the fish into the net. A nice 16lb wild male. Anchovie was the ticket.

Attachments

• IMG_20190907_083925.jpg
    IMG_20190907_083925.jpg
    195.5 KB · Views: 75
So the fishing gods were not on my side this morning as I left my driveway. The tow felt sluggish, so I stopped and had a look around at the trailer, flat tire! ( maybe a walk around before I leave the driveway)

While a waited for Canadian Tire (way closer than Princess Auto) to open up, I kept an eye on the launch at Esquilmalt through the webcam and thought how nice that all those folks are going fishing..........

After I changed the tire, I was fishing by 9:15 and had a hit about 15 minutes into fishing. It was a high teen, long line release. I know this because the fish was kind enough to jump out of the water to spit the hook.

After a few hours, a bit of a bite came on, after I brought the first one in, a boat cruised by the opposite direction and asked what depth, shared my 73’ and he dropped his down. On the next pass, he holds up the fish that he caught just after he dropped his gear. Luckily I passed kindergarten and I learnt how to share. 30 minutes later brought my second into the boat and I was limited out.

Both on anchovy

Attachments

• FBAB12A0-94E6-4273-AF7A-F44786EAEB61.jpeg
    FBAB12A0-94E6-4273-AF7A-F44786EAEB61.jpeg
    372.5 KB · Views: 133
  • A81B932D-7276-49D9-B210-FF294AD83567.png
    A81B932D-7276-49D9-B210-FF294AD83567.png
    964.6 KB · Views: 157
Sounds like the fish gods were on your side and rewarded your persistence! Nice going.

Was pretty lonely out off the Oak Bay flats this morning. I trolled for a while, caught a few feeders of only about 4lbs. Lost what was surely a better fish. Pulled out the jigging gear and headed in towards the kelp beds. First drop and boom! Best scrap I've had in a long time. 6 jumps later and a ~17lb spring to the net. Shortly after pulled a nice ling up to the side of the boat but it "let go" as I fumbled with the net.

Attachments

• IMG_20190907_175338.jpg
    IMG_20190907_175338.jpg
    304.9 KB · Views: 87
Crappy start there @Sam7, but awesome finish!! We actually saw your fish jump btw! We were a few boats up and over. o_O

Not much luck for us today. We got a pink right out of the gate at 630 and a shaker around 10ish. Generally we spent the morning chasing the right depth while watching other boats play fish. A bit frustrating but happy to see the fish are still there.

Hope it continues.

Worked the breakwater this morning. Bit of bite came on between 9:30-10 when we got a 13lb off the tip of breakwater, had a few shakers and saw few caught within that period then nothing else till quit at 1:30. Bloody nose teaser/ Green glow flasher at 40'. Watched a guy catch a nice ling casting off the wall.

There here, Done in an hour, Released a couple wild. Out from Victoria harbor just across the boarder. Really deep, Caught at 150' on the downrigger with 12lb ball.

Attachments

• 20190910_165314_resized_5.jpg
    20190910_165314_resized_5.jpg
    316.3 KB · Views: 170
There here, Done in an hour, Released a couple wild. Out from Victoria harbor just across the boarder. Really deep, Caught at 150' on the downrigger with 12lb ball.

Can I ask what you mean “past the border”. The Us border? Border bank?

thanks and regards
JL

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back