2019 Victoria and Oak Bay Reports

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fished the rising tide 3 to 6 today on the flats. Only caught fustration and 4 shakers :( where did all the 20s go????

One of those trailers was me. Ran to Constance at 6am and was first boat there. First guide showed up and trolled up doubles around me. I did jig a 62cm thick body hatchery and missed another hit. Left at 730 when bite seemed to slow and wanted to beat the cyclist induced ramp closure. No net so had to do the Stizzla face gaff solo.
View attachment 47143
I trademarked that?! Lol

Fishing was great today. 630 double header off the breakwater. 25 and 20 Went to Albert Head to get away from all the boats. 8 springs over 20 lb. released in 3 hours
30 and 50 ft 0n anchovy. Fish are outside in 160 ft of water
Jigged up 15-20 springs yesterday,kept 2-16 and 19 lb..Guess I should have been at Albert Head where all the fish are over 20 Lbs.:);)o_O

I must be getting close! :cool: Out at 10 mile for the ebb/flood change tossing 1 1/2" spoons. (Following the Sooke thread about matching bait size) Sure enough a couple of gulls fighting overhead and one spews his last meal - 20 feet away - anchovies about 3" long. :oops: Switch up to 3" spoon. One strike. Skunk is still on but nice to know nature is helping out. :D

Hit into a 27 lb wild spring at Gonzales point today. The strike was at 1:15pm and about 20 feet
off of the rocks on a 3" white and black zinger. 4 nice long runs. and it took aprox. 25 min's to land.
A nice fat wild female. Fun to land these ones. Number 4 for me this year.

Hit into a 27 lb wild spring at Gonzales point today. The strike was at 1:15pm and about 20 feet
off of the rocks on a 3" white and black zinger. 4 nice long runs. and it took aprox. 25 min's to land.
A nice fat wild female. Fun to land these ones. Number 4 for me this year.

Well done, John. You’re doing well this year. There’s something great about shore fishing. It’s fun, defying odds, it’s very satisfying when there’s success. Way more so than from a boat.

Well done, John. You’re doing well this year. There’s something great about shore fishing. It’s fun, defying odds, it’s very satisfying when there’s success. Way more so than from a boat.

Thanks for the congrats,
I have always loved catching large fish on lighter tackle . A bit more time playing the fish but sure is a lot of fun on
17lb test and no flasher's or weights to worry about. There is a pretty good hole in the kelp and that sure helps. you can usually
steer them out of it if they get to close.

Almost 20 boats on Constance this morning. A few fish caught but it didn't seem hot. We jigged two small springs. 7lber was a feeder with undeveloped eggs. Friend decided to put a swim bait down and took 5 mins to find a 110cm halibut. Bonus! The halibut had only half a face from I'd guess long line release and it had half an approx 3lb salmon (I'm guessing from flesh color) inside the belly that I'd guess was a dead released fish. Tough to catch big live prey with a face like that..
20190820_121323~2.jpg
20190820_121328~2.jpg 20190820_131437~2.jpg

Almost 20 boats on Constance this morning. A few fish caught but it didn't seem hot. We jigged two small springs. 7lber was a feeder with undeveloped eggs. Friend decided to put a swim bait down and took 5 mins to find a 110cm halibut. Bonus! The halibut had only half a face from I'd guess long line release and it had half an approx 3lb salmon (I'm guessing from flesh color) inside the belly that I'd guess was a dead released fish. Tough to catch big live prey with a face like that..
View attachment 47254
View attachment 47255 View attachment 47256
A face only a mother could love!!lol

Well, my son and I decided on Sunday, to go out for night bite on Thursday night, in front of the breakwater. We were on the water and started fishing at 6:15. Made a few passes in front of the breakwater and at 6:55 the right rod goes off, I set the hook, hand the rod to my son, I then go over and turn the downrigger on, to get it up. Just then I look at the left hand rod, and it’s starting to go, boom double header. Both fish are running, then they decide to cross a couple of times. At that point, mine decides it’s in the 100 meter dash and takes off. ( for a minute I thought I got sealed) We manage to get my sons close to the boat and it’s time to net the fish, hmmm two people on board, two big fish, oh well, I throw my rod in the rod holder and try to net the fish, he’s not done yet and takes another run. So I grab my rod and reel in the bit of slack. This happens a couple of times. I finally net his, and now I focus on bringing mine in while he bonks the fish and empties out the net. Several minutes later we are successful landing both fish.

Herring teaser head, extra large anchovy, 66’ on the rigger for the big one 27# fish
Green chrome, extra large anchovy, 73’ on the rigger for #18 fish (this fish hit first)

Packed up and headed off the water at 7:15. I like those days.

Attachments

• D051FB70-0A65-45D6-9B33-EA48DBDF3ACA.jpeg
    D051FB70-0A65-45D6-9B33-EA48DBDF3ACA.jpeg
    370 KB · Views: 149
  • B3D06166-C186-46E2-A010-48487F7C2D9F.jpeg
    B3D06166-C186-46E2-A010-48487F7C2D9F.jpeg
    592.4 KB · Views: 154
  • 9BF75B3D-E63A-4257-A5A8-66AA4CACC861.jpeg
    9BF75B3D-E63A-4257-A5A8-66AA4CACC861.jpeg
    212.2 KB · Views: 156
Well, my son and I decided on Sunday, to go out for night bite on Thursday night, in front of the breakwater. We were on the water and started fishing at 6:15. Made a few passes in front of the breakwater and at 6:55 the right rod goes off, I set the hook, hand the rod to my son, I then go over and turn the downrigger on, to get it up. Just then I look at the left hand rod, and it’s starting to go, boom double header. Both fish are running, then they decide to cross a couple of times. At that point, mine decides it’s in the 100 meter dash and takes off. ( for a minute I thought I got sealed) We manage to get my sons close to the boat and it’s time to net the fish, hmmm two people on board, two big fish, oh well, I throw my rod in the rod holder and try to net the fish, he’s not done yet and takes another run. So I grab my rod and reel in the bit of slack. This happens a couple of times. I finally net his, and now I focus on bringing mine in while he bonks the fish and empties out the net. Several minutes later we are successful landing both fish.

Herring teaser head, extra large anchovy, 66’ on the rigger for the big one 27# fish
Green chrome, extra large anchovy, 73’ on the rigger for #18 fish (this fish hit first)

Packed up and headed off the water at 7:15. I like those days.
Nice. Interesting to note that the solunar tables matched up:
VERY HIGH ACTIVITY from 6:32 pm to 8:32 pm
Opposing lunar transit (moon down) This period of high activity coincides with sunset; therefore the sun will exercise more influence, resulting in an excellent time for fishing.

No boats on the flats last night. Not much happeneing for fish. Some boats at the gap but they were hard pressed to get into something.

Was out this morning. Started out beautiful, then the sun was in my face, followed by a heavy downpour and the a couple hours of nice before the wind drove me in. Was unable to find a spring but the humpies were thick when fished shallow enough. Constant action about a km south of the chain group. Picked up a nice 10# ling and released another as I was alone. Gorged with sandlance.

Was out this morning, starting at 6, was a little choppy to start and didn't have much luck with everyone trolling around the breakwater.
So I broke from the pack and headed for the flagpole.
We picked up a pair of twins around 20lbs, both on anchovy right on the bottom just after 8.
The wind died, the sun came out and the seas flattened so it was a beautiful morning.

Attachments

• 1st.jpg
    1st.jpg
    234.5 KB · Views: 93
  • 2nd.jpg
    2nd.jpg
    436.9 KB · Views: 89
Had a friend that wanted to go “fishing sometime” so I sent a text at 8:00 am “ watcha doing, wanna go fishing” .

He said yes, on the water, fishing by 9:15 off the breakwater, first one on in about 20 minutes, landed a scrappy 17# red. We landed a pink about 25 minutes later, then a bit lull for an hour. Then there was a short span where we witnessed a few other hook ups. The right rod goes off, 73’ on the rigger, green chrome, he’s on for about 2 minutes and it’s a long line release. I make the turn to go back to the area where we hooked up with the other line still in the water, as I’m about to drop the second line in the water, bam, the rod goes off, nice 21# white we landed. Never had to put the second line back down, called it a day.

Done by noon.

Red, 55’ on green chrome, white caught at 66’ herring aid, both extra large anchovy

Attachments

• 3D7D8C63-BA0E-4C5F-94A1-1C8548527C32.png
    3D7D8C63-BA0E-4C5F-94A1-1C8548527C32.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 96
Fished Saturday 1 20lber, AP spoon, Bottom, 86 ft of water, 106 on downrigger, tide was running. Lost one other small one. And 2 hits. It was an afternoon shift 2:00-5:00pm

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back