2019 Victoria and Oak Bay Reports

Status
Not open for further replies.
Outfitter's Report
Oak Bay

Chinook salmon fishing was GREAT in Oak Bay. Springs in the 10 lb. to 35 lb. size were caught both jigging and trolling in Oak Bay.

Ha ha, Sure !
Can I see the pic ?

I was away and did not write the report for this past week! I did get out for my first summer trip today and caught a 23 lb 5 oz female red spring off the waterfront on small anchovy.

It’s been a very long time since I’ve caught a spring. The flats were too lumpy for comfortable solo fishing so I went to the gap and was rewarded with a 12 pound male hatchery. As I didn’t intend to release it I got it good and tired making the netting easy

Attachments

• 82232E72-0F5A-4F59-B0C7-816FA427CD51.jpeg
    82232E72-0F5A-4F59-B0C7-816FA427CD51.jpeg
    34.8 KB · Views: 54
ESQUIMALT ANGLERS' ASSOCIATION DERBY CANCELLED

The Esquimalt Anglers' Association Board of Directors has cancelled their salmon fishing derby tentatively scheduled for August 25, 2019. This decision was not made lightly, but we feel it is justified based on the following reasons:

- The uncertainty of salmon fishing regulations with respect to chinook, in particular. The chinook non-retention restrictions until July 31 imposed by the Minister of Fisheries & Oceans were totally unjustified. Given the usual lack of notice by DFO, there was even some doubt as to what rules the public fishery would be operating under after July 31.

- These punitive regulations have resulted in the cancellation of numerous fishing derbies coastwide. We are doing our part toward chinook conservation by cancelling the EAA derby. This will be the third time in recent years that the derby has been cancelled, in part, due to conservation concerns (ie. 2008 and 2016).

- Businesses that cater to the public fishery have suffered substantial decreases this year and are therefore not in a position to donate prizes as they have in the past.

- The completion of nine (9) new wharves this year at our ramp has left the Association in a poor financial position after covering the total cost of the $220,000 project.

Esquimalt Anglers' Association,
Board of Directors,
August 06, 2019

Unfortunate about the derby. I have been a member of the Esquimalt Anglers for many years and I would like to thank all the folks for their hard work and dedication over the years. The facility and launch are excellent and the new dock is a pleasure to use. Keep up the great work and thanks again!!

On a side note, has anyone been out to Constance lately? Just wondering if it's not to bumpy, would it be worth the run out. Or are the shorelines a better bet this time of year?

[QUOTE="On a side note, has anyone been out to Constance lately? Just wondering if it's not to bumpy, would it be worth the run out. Or are the shorelines a better bet this time of year?[/QUOTE]

I was at constance last couple of mornings and it was very bumpy. Almost unfishable. It just wasnt enjoyable in those conditions even in a offshore boat. There are fish around tho. Check Race Rocks for the wind that affects Constance.

JL

[QUOTE="On a side note, has anyone been out to Constance lately? Just wondering if it's not to bumpy, would it be worth the run out. Or are the shorelines a better bet this time of year?

I was at constance last couple of mornings and it was very bumpy. Almost unfishable. It just wasnt enjoyable in those conditions even in a offshore boat. There are fish around tho. Check Race Rocks for the wind that affects Constance.

JL[/QUOTE]
The breakwater is good this time of year

Late post:

I was out yesterday morning from 8:30 -12:00 off the waterfront. Pretty choppy with the wind and the tide in front of the breakwater later on in the morning.

Only managed 1 bite which was a pink ( released himself about 10’ from the boat) when I was packing up in front of MacAulay Point.

Got out this morning 8:30 to 10:40 at water front. One pink in front of Macauley point just before the rain hit. Did not look like much was going on.

Oakbay flats, lost three then kept one about 10. Switched to jigging and got one right away. A beauty pushing 20 which I released. Spent the rest of the morning trying find a big ling. No luck on that but was fortunate enough to get my limit in hard shelled dungies. Most hz e been too soft lately.

I was out at the waterfront from 6:00 - 12:00. I ended up with 3 hits and 3 fish. First fish was a pink, that hit like a spring, took line and didn’t wanna come to the boat, right in front of the green can bouy, and then the last hit, hit like a pink, on the turn, on the inside rod. I just reeled it towards the boat, and then about 10 feet from the boat I noticed the size, and then it took off for a wee bit. Spring was just under 13 lbs.

Attachments

• D9798E86-9D4B-49CD-92E0-E651CAC18CD3.jpeg
    D9798E86-9D4B-49CD-92E0-E651CAC18CD3.jpeg
    434.9 KB · Views: 83
I was out at the waterfront from 6:00 - 12:00. I ended up with 3 hits and 3 fish. First fish was a pink, that hit like a spring, took line and didn’t wanna come to the boat, right in front of the green can bouy, and then the last hit, hit like a pink, on the turn, on the inside rod. I just reeled it towards the boat, and then about 10 feet from the boat I noticed the size, and then it took off for a wee bit. Spring was just under 13 lbs.

What kind of depth of water are you fishing, had good luck off McCauley / breakwater earlier in the year but I haven’t had a sniff out there in the last few trips. Wondering if I need to fish tighter to the beach

What kind of depth of water are you fishing, had good luck off McCauley / breakwater earlier in the year but I haven’t had a sniff out there in the last few trips. Wondering if I need to fish tighter to the beach
I got 1 by the bouy, the other two were in front of the breakwater. All three today as well as the one caught on Tuesday (breakwater as well) were at 68-71’ on the rigger, with herring aid teaser head on extra large anchovy.

The other side was anywhere from 35-60’ with green chrome ( which is/was my go to ) but not a sniff both times out. Everything on herring teaser head. Hmm go figure

Tha
I got 1 by the bouy, the other two were in front of the breakwater. All three today as well as the one caught on Tuesday (breakwater as well) were at 68-71’ on the rigger, with herring aid teaser head on extra large anchovy.

The other side was anywhere from 35-60’ with green chrome ( which is/was my go to ) but not a sniff both times out. Everything on herring teaser head. Hmm go figure

Thanks, I will be out there again the next few days

we pulled out of Flemming beach into what looked like a lake last night around 6:00 there was about half a dozen boats trolling in between the green can and McCauley point. We ended up fishing the first tide line and got five strikes, only two pinkies made it in the boat but we had some fun.

I was out this morning off Macaulay point between 630 and 830. What a gong show for me, but ended with my biggest fish caught to date! 21 pounds!

I dragged myself out of bed to go on my own before work, almost didn't bother. Had the hardest time getting my boat launched and out of the water! And this is a 14 foot tiny here! Struggled to get my one rod to depth. Couldn’t get anything right. Anybody watching me at the launch was probably saying who is this effing clown!? :eek:

Trolled around for almost 2 hours with nothing doing and no other boats catching. Finally had to go so I turned for home. Rigger was at 50 ft. Depth was about 65. Right near the kelp bed on the Macaulay side, boom my rod goes off. I thought I was snagged. Damn thing was peeling out line on my highest drag setting! Get it to the boat and it does a 360 around the boat. I got all wrapped up in my engine lanyard to the point it popped off the kill switch! Finally get it in the net after multiple misses, then I couldn’t lift it in the boat! Ahhhh! I was done man! Then I realized I was stopped and in everyone's way so I quickly got out of there.

Never caught or cleaned a fish this big! Was really hoping it came with a cleaning manual!? :rolleyes:

Chrome teaser head, large anchovy.

Attachments

• 21.jpeg
    21.jpeg
    190 KB · Views: 146
I was out this morning off Macaulay point between 630 and 830. What a gong show for me, but ended with my biggest fish caught to date! 21 pounds!

I dragged myself out of bed to go on my own before work, almost didn't bother. Had the hardest time getting my boat launched and out of the water! And this is a 14 foot tiny here! Struggled to get my one rod to depth. Couldn’t get anything right. Anybody watching me at the launch was probably saying who is this effing clown!? :eek:

Trolled around for almost 2 hours with nothing doing and no other boats catching. Finally had to go so I turned for home. Rigger was at 50 ft. Depth was about 65. Right near the kelp bed on the Macaulay side, boom my rod goes off. I thought I snagged bottom.. Damn thing was peeling out line on my highest drag setting! Get it to the boat and it does a 360 around the boat. I got all wrapped up in my engine lanyard to the point it popped off the kill switch! Finally get it in the net after multiple misses, then I couldn’t lift it in the boat! Ahhhh! I was done man! Then I realized I was stopped and in everyone's way so I quickly got out of there.

Never caught or cleaned a fish this big! Was really hoping it came with a cleaning manual!? :rolleyes:

Chrome teaser head, large anchovy.

Been there !!

Other boats are yelling and wondering what your doing / if you need help and you just want space.

What a mean looking fish too, look at the yap on that thing !!

Been there !!

Other boats are yelling and wondering what your doing / if you need help and you just want space.

What a mean looking fish too, look at the yap on that thing !!

Probably just the photo angle bent in the tub, but you are right, that is one mean looking Chinook.

It was a beautiful calm evening on the waterfront.. lines down at 4:30 and quickly in to a picture perfect fight with a 20lb spring between the breakwater and the broachie lighthouse and no pack of boats to dodge! back home by 6pm for dinner. chrome and green spoon was the ticket - it felt so nice to get a spring instead of a slimy pink for a change! probably 6 boats out but mostly concentrated around macauly point so I was free to enjoy the fight without stressing about cutting someone off :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back