2019 Victoria and Oak Bay Reports

Status
Not open for further replies.
Caught a 10-12ish lb hatchery chinook off the rocks at 10 Mile pt this afternoon. Measured 26in nose to fork so I was a little hesitant about keeping it but my BBQ needs some loving. Caught on a 3in green holographic Zinger.

Nice fish... congrats. Looks like the bigger brother of the one I caught today (9# and 24")

ZHhXoaT.jpg

3 in 3 day's for me. Hit into a 20# hatchery male this afternoon at 1:00pm at the Golf Course.
2 nice long runs and then it slowly swam into the kelp and went to sleep. A nice young couple
and there son were just off the point mooching and watching the action. They came over and
pulled it out of the kelp for me. Many thanks to them. I didn't get a chance to get their names.
Had another fisherman there with me today. Nice to have someone down there to talk to.. It's been to
quiet down there for years. Nice to meet you Todd and thanks for the help today

Attachments

• 20lb spring.jpg
    20lb spring.jpg
    706.4 KB · Views: 115
Last edited:
Went back to 10 mile today, got into a slightly smaller fish than yesterday but much better fighter. Popped the hook out next to shore and it swam off strong, didn't even net it. Lots of people fishing there today 5 others on the same rock as me plus 2 more on a rock across the water. The pair across the water hooked into a small looking salmon but lost it right next to shore and the dude went freakin' ballistic yelling/throwing **** around. How unsportsmanlike!

Why wife got this 12lb spring today in Oak Bay this morning. She lost 2 others and I never got a touch.
I should have been looking around me better as I would have given you a wave I was only out from around six to eight as we had bridge this morning I was skunked but I am happy getting everything sorted out

Watched a nice spring slash through a school of bait fish at ten mile pt this morning. :oops:

Friday night did a recce released a shaker or two. Saturday early morning bite for us done by 9am. Sunday lost 3 cookie cutters as the guests arent all that experienced to keep the pressure on, went to fill up last night at the marina decided to jig for fun got one cookie cutter again by the chain islands.... this morning same guests lost two on the flats left the wind out there moved into the gap notta for us but saw a couple boated. Headed home maybe ill poke tonight for a bit.....

Out there today in my little tinner. Probably the smallest boat out there, but I'm sure if something bad happened one of you guys would help us out.;) Yes it was a little too lumpy out there. Kept the first and last spring we were able to jig up. A 5 and a 9#. Weren't able to find anything bigger. The hunch to head east of the chain group and fish the water just out of the ebbs rapids at Center Reef payed off. Picked up two legal lings. The flutter jigs I purchased from sir-vivor worked great.

Some nice sized dungies in the trap but most were soft and thrown back. Bait: Again fowl out fished, fish.

I fished oak bay for the first time in years, one ling, one pink and more crab than I have seen in one trap in a long time! (mosly undersize but I got a few keepers). I used to do sports photography so I brought my camera gear along today and took a few pictures of everybody fishing. ( I need something to do while i'm waiting) If you were out there today and want a picture of you and your boat message me, I may have a good one.

Took my brother out this morning. Did 2 quick passes at the flagpole with 2 hits but nothing held on. Decided to head towards Beechy Head in looks of some pinks / coho, ended up fishing Pedder bay and lost a 10-12lb Spring around 9am trying to net solo at the boat. Couldn’t find any pinks so headed back to grab crab traps from Albert head area and they where loaded with females / undersize.

It was a tad bumpy for my brothers liking but otherwise nice weather.

Curious if anyone is picking up pinks of the breakwater/ waterfront area ? I may head to oak bay when I head out again in the next few days and try Brodie

Curious if anyone is picking up pinks of the breakwater/ waterfront area ? I may head to oak bay when I head out again in the next few days and try Brodie

I have found pinks a few times in the last week straight out due south of Brotchie in 225 feet of water.

Turned out I was able to work a half day today, while having lunch I looked at tides for fishing and saw the bite time was right in line with me heading out. So I looked at the Esquilmalt web camera and said why not.

Launched at about 1:20, hung out along the breakwater for a bit and at 2:25, I was limited out with my 1 Spring.

71’ on the rigger with herring teaser head. I noticed another boat hooked up with another cookie cutter, just after I did.

Attachments

• F4CFD01B-A10C-4DFF-AA04-8344BA69F88B.jpeg
    F4CFD01B-A10C-4DFF-AA04-8344BA69F88B.jpeg
    280.9 KB · Views: 115
  • 383A3749-E43A-4F0A-B5EC-014F7309D54B.jpeg
    383A3749-E43A-4F0A-B5EC-014F7309D54B.jpeg
    165.4 KB · Views: 108
Last edited:
Outfitter's Report
Oak Bay

Chinook salmon fishing was GREAT in Oak Bay. Springs in the 10 lb. to 35 lb. size were caught both jigging and trolling in Oak Bay.

Ha ha, Sure !
Can I see the pic ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back