2019 Victoria and Oak Bay Reports

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 more day guys and area 19 is open for retention wohooo.....!!!!!!! science based retention LOL pfft. DFO thanks for making such an equitable decision :p none the less this guy will be out with his kid enjoying the water and hopefully slaying a fish for each license :)

I got into a couple in Oak Bay. Lost the first one at the side of the boat fussing with the net. Then got this 12 pounder. Jigging. Was nice to finally keep one.

Only 4 trailers at 6am at the launch. Launch was much busier at 830 when I pulled out.

Creel guy was there. Nice fellow. Took scale and fin samples.

Life is good again....

Attachments

• 42512FE3-667E-400A-9568-3AA4B38312AB.jpeg
    42512FE3-667E-400A-9568-3AA4B38312AB.jpeg
    171.9 KB · Views: 113
New Regs, hope this helps

Spent the morning getting my trolling and mooching gear in order. New 40# test on the reel
a few new hoochies and spoons. Then went to the Golf Links for the afternoon from 5pm-7:30pm.
Lots of bait around, current was running hard and it was difficult to fish without touching the bottom often.
First crack at it for the year.... I will have to check the tides and current before I go again. And I will have to
remove a few bit's of kelp to create a good clear path if I get a fish.

good pink action up against the East side of Trial on the heavy ebb yesterday. Picked up two chinook 8 and 12 on the flats , both clipped. one on anchovy on the bottom , one on clear hoochie at 50 feet. beemer

First fish of the year for me.... at the Golf Course.. Hit at 1:00pm about 20'off of the rock's I watched it strike
the lure... 15# hatchery male caught on a small 3" white and black zinger. A good 15 min fight and a couple of
good long run's. The tail sections is already getting brined for the smoker as I write this..

Happy dance

First fish of the year for me.... at the Golf Course.. Hit at 1:00pm about 20'off of the rock's I watched it strike
the lure...

Congrats John! Couple questions if that’s cool. How far up or down in the water column do you fish buzz bombs/zingers? And were there many people fishing at the course when you were there? I am going to 10 Mile pt tomorrow and may check out the golf course if I have no luck.

Thanks, and congrats again!

the lure... 15# hatchery male caught on a small 3" white and black zinger. A good 15 min fight and a couple of
good long run's. The tail sections is already getting brined for the smoker as I write this..

Happy dance

John, I'm enjoying your posts about shore fishing. Keep them coming. I used to fish there on occasion back in the day.

Happy dance
Love your posts, old school shore angling, right up there with the Tyee Pool thread!

Congrats John! Couple questions if that’s cool. How far up or down in the water column do you fish buzz bombs/zingers? And were there many people fishing at the course when you were there? I am going to 10 Mile pt tomorrow and may check out the golf course if I have no luck. Thanks, and congrats again!

Thanks for the congrats... There has been very few people at the Golf Course for the last ten years. I may see one or two people there all year. It used to be wall to wall
20 years ago. The depth at the course is only about 40 - 50 feet at a high tide. If I'm fishing lower water I will only let the lure sink about an eight second count and the start to work the lure in letting it rise and fall about 3 feet. On a high tide you can let the lure sink about a ten to fifteen count. I have been using Buzz Bombs and Zingers there.
and the odd time I will use a perking or a gibbs minnow.

Congrats John! Couple questions if that’s cool. How far up or down in the water column do you fish buzz bombs/zingers? And were there many people fishing at the course when you were there? I am going to 10 Mile pt tomorrow and may check out the golf course if I have no luck. Thanks, and congrats again!

If you do want to come down to the golf course it's best to get there just after 11am. All of the ground crew is usually pulling out
of the upper parking lot at about that time. What I have learned over the years fishing there is that you have to get to know the
layout of the course and to ALWAYS respect the golfers and the grounds. If someone is golfing and you want to pass by them
always let them play through, never cross in front of them. If you park on the upper lot on Beach drive then follow the gravel
path down to the fairway. Skirt along the bushes on the right and then when safe and clear cross over to the other gravel path
to the ninth hole.

Thursday Aug 1, Opening day went 10 for 15 on Springs all 10 were hatchery.. Many cookie cutter 7-9 lbers. had 1 about 12 and another one was 20lbs. 1 triple header, 2 x double headers. Was a very busy day.

Friday Aug 2 went 3 for 7, again nothing big, same cookie cutters, had one close to 10lbs took home.

Saturday Aug 3, many fish were caught today. Nothing too big. Had a couple big strikes, took home 1 7lber for dinner.

Sunday Aug 4, Never brought any salmon home, boo, Released many cookie cutters, had 4 really good strikes and on for a bit then gone.

Monday Aug 5, Never brought any salmon home, boo. Released many cookie cutters, had a couple nices ones on but did not stick.

All bouncing the bottom, all on skinny g's herring aid and No Bananas and Wee g blue and chrome.

Last edited:
Thursday Aug 1, Opening day went 10 for 15 on Springs all 10 were hatchery.. Many cookie cutter 7-9 lbers. had 1 about 12 and another one was 20lbs. 1 triple header, 2 x double headers. Was a very busy day.

Friday Aug 2 went 3 for 7, again nothing big, same cookie cutters, had one close to 10lbs.
where were you cby and what were you using?

Lots of action and boats this morning. Saw several netted. Nothing big. I released a -5lb spring and lost two good ones jigging. Lots of rock fish. Only thing I caught trolling was a 40 lb skate on a skinny G spoon. (???) A Humpback whale went through the flats. Had a great day. The only negative was that my crab traps were empty. Turkey bait gone. One rock crab in each.( Ha Ha!) Same spot I got 18 dungeness last week.

Hit another small hatchery spring at the Golf Course today.. Small one 9# 24 inches. Nice little hatchery female.
Thought I was going to get tagged by a small seal but he wasn't to interested in it. Probably hadn't been taught to attack
salmon on a lure yet o_O Dogged it in a little to fast to avoid the seal but it was well hooked

Caught a 10-12ish lb hatchery chinook off the rocks at 10 Mile pt this afternoon. Measured 26in nose to fork so I was a little hesitant about keeping it but my BBQ needs some loving. Caught on a 3in green holographic Zinger.

ZHhXoaT.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back