2019 Vancouver-Howe Sound-Sechelt Reports Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Took a guest out last night and hooked one low-teens white spring at 20'. My guest's first fish ever! He was pumped.

Then trolled around and proceeded to hook 3 small salmon (6-10"). Each fish was hooked through the belly or back, and definitely dead.

Was using a 5" green/white/glow spoon, at 3+mph. Depths 20' to 80'.

Any tips on how to avoid killing juveniles?

Started at the Bell Buoy around 09:00 hrs-steady pick of Springs to 15# on larger Anchovies continued around the corner to the North Arm were limited by 10:30 but stuck around until noon-not a lot of action around us.

Fish were a bit deeper and one had two medium sized Herring in it's guts.

WARNING-Seals at Thunderbird marina are super aggressive.

Never lost any fish but it was a close thing being targeted by Seals lunging from the water onto the dock once on the way from the boat to the cleaning table and again while actually cleaning- up to 5 Seals at a time circling.

20190823-124128-1.jpg

both Reds

Put in 4 hours at the north arm today. Tried those big spoons and plugs. Didn’t work. Went full chovies and still only got one small pink and a flounder. We did lose three springs tho (mid-line snap, bent hook and a spit!) so I guess it could’ve been a good day. What a difference a week makes. I’m hoping some dry sunny days will get them stacking up in numbers again.

Sandheads, sorted through about 15 springs out deep. Ended up with a 17 lbs white

Fishing was ‘like two weeks ago’ for me today.

Found a great little area that myself and a Thunderjet did laps in. We were constantly fighting fish it seemed. 50/70 on the riggers
What time were you out?

Started at North Arm and was slow so moved. Ended up boxing 3 red springs today at Sandheads. 11 to 14lbs. All at 50’ on blue teaser. Lost a big one that hit the green teaser at 30’. All on the northern side of the pack in about 200’. Action was sporadic today and we worked hard for them. What would have been a stellar day in years gone by felt slow compared to the last 3 weeks.

Had the smallest skinniest sockeye I’ve ever seen hit an anchovy. Thought it was a pink at first.

One of the springs had a huge tape worm in its gut. Wrapped it around the roe and threw it to the eager seal at the cleaning station. Happy seal. Happier tapeworm.

Just finished up, my usual, sand heads north of pack, 250’/60 rigger, green flash & chovy. Just a 10# red but a spunky one. Couple more hits. (Haven’t run into a pink yet either... which is nice) Too bad I’m solo today. Have fun boys there’s still plenty out there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back