2019 Vancouver-Howe Sound-Sechelt Reports Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fished Thrasher today ........ first five minutes of lines in the water and fish on ........ but it was a couple cm's under ......... and that's how it went for about 20 fish we brought to the boat side today .......... every one of them just under and every one of them liking the cop car spoon. Found bait ........ so we kept making passes in the hopes of getting the attention of a larger spring but to no avail. I think the damn fish were the ones playing us because many of them pulled hard making us believe we finally had a keeper on ....... suckers we were ..... lol. After many hours we decided it wasn't going to be our day for a keeper and headed home only to get pissed on by some ominous clouds hanging over Ladysmith ..... lightning and all. Fried in the sun at Thrasher and drenched heading to the ramp in Ladysmith ......... all said ....... it was hell of a fun day even with an empty box to show for it. We'll get ours next outing !

Fished Thrasher today ........ first five minutes of lines in the water and fish on ........ but it was a couple cm's under ......... and that's how it went for about 20 fish we brought to the boat side today .......... every one of them just under and every one of them liking the cop car spoon. Found bait ........ so we kept making passes in the hopes of getting the attention of a larger spring but to no avail. I think the damn fish were the ones playing us because many of them pulled hard making us believe we finally had a keeper on ....... suckers we were ..... lol. After many hours we decided it wasn't going to be our day for a keeper and headed home only to get pissed on by some ominous clouds hanging over Ladysmith ..... lightning and all. Fried in the sun at Thrasher and drenched heading to the ramp in Ladysmith ......... all said ....... it was hell of a fun day even with an empty box to show for it. We'll get ours next outing !
Sounds like an awesome day! Aside from the tricks those nookies were playing on you! I know how you feel, we had a lot of those scrappy unders we were sure were going to be keepers!

Hope you are all getting out there now it is open. I just wanted to give a bump to the Chinook and Coho diet monitoring we are doing out of UVic. For folks fishing out of Van you can drop off your stomachs at Pacific Angler, Bon Chovy, or Stillwater Sports... The stores should have bags and data cards but we can also mail supplies. Key info to record is species, date, length, catch location, and hatchery/wild. In the absence of our fancy waterproof datacards pencil on scrap paper is fine. Include your email address and each stomach is one entry in a draw for an MR2LA courtesy of Islander Reels.
Check out the story on our program in the July issue of Island Fisherman Magazine and follow us on Facebook at
https://www.facebook.com/Southern-BC-Adult-Salmon-Diet-Program-493763831003993/
Questions to juaneslabmanger@gmail.com

Tight lines

Will
Got two for you tonight Will.

fished HITW from 2pm-8pm and not one hit...water looked like crap...fished spoons 90-120ft...no bait and no fish marked on sonar...Ended day getting checked by DFO boat...all to show for the days effort was 19 prawns

With the new restrictions, I wouldn't mind at least seeing them on the water performing their checks more often.

Hi guys, is there any salmon to be had around west van at this time? Will trolling a deep six ~90ft work or should I get a downrigger? Thanks

Hi guys, is there any salmon to be had around west van at this time? Will trolling a deep six ~90ft work or should I get a downrigger? Thanks
Only obstacle you might run into is algae blooms. Other than that, I've been marking fish all week between 40 and 90 feet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back